- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 69036, 19 pages
Significance of Nano- and Microtopography for Cell-Surface Interactions in Orthopaedic Implants
1Department of Orthopaedics, Heinrich-Heine University Medical School, Moorenstrasse 5, Duesseldorf 40225, Germany
2Institute of Anatomy II, Heinrich-Heine University Medical School, Universitätsstrasse 1, Duesseldorf 40225, Germany
Received 18 March 2007; Accepted 5 August 2007
Academic Editor: Hicham Fenniri
Copyright © 2007 M. Jäger et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [39 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Gagandeep Kaur, Mani T. Valarmathi, Jay D. Potts, and Qian Wang, “The promotion of osteoblastic differentiation of rat bone marrow stromal cells by a polyvalent plant mosaic virus,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 30, pp. 4074–4081, 2008.
- Tyler L. Perry, Dirk Werschmoeller, Xiaochun Li, Frank E. Pfefferkorn, and Neil A. Duffie, “Pulsed laser polishing of micro-milled Ti6Al4V samples,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 74–81, 2009.
- Sung Hee Chung, and Junhong Min, “Morphological investigations of cells that adhered to the irregular patterned polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) surface without reagents,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 861–867, 2009.
- Jian Li, Yizao Wan, Lianfeng Li, Hui Liang, and Jiehua Wang, “Preparation and characterization of 2,3-dialdehyde bacterial cellulose for potential biodegradable tissue engineering scaffolds,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1635–1642, 2009.
- Ulrika Brohede, Shuxi Zhao, Fredrik Lindberg, Albert Mihranyan, Johan Forsgren, Maria Stromme, and Hakan Engqvist, “A novel graded bioactive high adhesion implant coating,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 255, no. 17, pp. 7723–7728, 2009.
- Viswanathan S. Saji, Han Cheol Choe, and William A. Brantley, “Nanotubular oxide layer formation on Ti–13Nb–13Zr alloy as a function of applied potential,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 44, no. 15, pp. 3975–3982, 2009.
- M. Veith, O. C. Aktas, W. Metzger, D. Sossong, H. Ullah Wazir, I. Grobelsek, N. Puetz, G. Wennemuth, T. Pohlemann, and M. Oberringer, “Adhesion of fibroblasts on micro- and nanostructured surfaces prepared by c hemical vapor deposition and pulsed laser treatment,” Biofabrication, vol. 2, no. 3, 2010.
- Claudia Matschegewski, Susanne Staehlke, Ronny Loeffler, Regina Lange, Feng Chai, Dieter P. Kern, Ulrich Beck, and Barbara J. Nebe, “Cell architecture-cell function dependencies on titanium arrays with regula r geometry,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 22, pp. 5729–5740, 2010.
- A. Ranella, M. Barberoglou, S. Bakogianni, C. Fotakis, and E. Stratakis, “Tuning cell adhesion by controlling the roughness and wettability of 3D micro/nano silicon structures,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2711–2720, 2010.
- Antonella Milella, Fabio Palumbo, Riccardo D'Agostino, Pietro Favia, Rosa Di Mundo, Roberto Gristina, Elaisa Sardella, Francesca Intranuovo, and Marina Nardulli, “Micro-/nanoscale structuring of cell-culture substrates with fluorocarbon plasmas,” Plasma Processes and Polymers, vol. 7, no. 3-4, pp. 212–223, 2010.
- Viswanathan S. Saji, Han Cheol Choe, and Kelvin W. K. Yeung, “Nanotechnology in biomedical applications: A review,” International Journal of Nano and Biomaterials, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 119–139, 2010.
- Fuming He, Feng Zhang, Guoli Yang, Xiaoxiang Wang, and Shifang Zhao, “Enhanced initial proliferation and differentiation of MC3T3-E1 cells on HF/HNO3 solution treated nanostructural titanium surface,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. e13–e22, 2010.
- J.H.Y. Ting, M.R. Haas, S.M. Valenzuela, and D.K. Martin, “Terminating polyelectrolyte in multilayer films influences growth and morphology of adhering cells,” IET Nanobiotechnology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 77, 2010.
- Todorka G. Vladkova, “Surface Engineered Polymeric Biomaterials with Improved Biocontact Properties,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2010, pp. 1–22, 2010.
- Alain Carre, and Valerie Lacarriere, “How Substrate Properties Control Cell Adhesion. A Physical-Chemical Approac h,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 815–830, 2010.
- Juergen M. Lackner, and Wolfgang Waldhauser, “Inorganic PVD and CVD Coatings in Medicine - A Review of Protein and Cell A dhesion on Coated Surfaces,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 925–961, 2010.
- Todorka Vladkova, and Natalia Krasteva, “Nanoengineered systems for regenerative medicine surface engineered polymeric biomaterials with improved bio-contact properties,” NATO Science for Peace and Security Series A: Chemistry and Biology, pp. 157–174, 2010.
- Q. Q. Wang, W. Li, and B. C. Yang, “Regulation on the biocompatibility of bioactive titanium metals by type I collagen,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 99A, no. 1, pp. 125–134, 2011.
- E. Stratakis, A. Ranella, and C. Fotakis, “Biomimetic micro/nanostructured functional surfaces for microfluidic and ti ssue engineering applications,” Biomicrofluidics, vol. 5, no. 1, 2011.
- Anders Palmquist, Lena Emanuelsson, Rickard Brånemark, and Peter Thomsen, “Biomechanical, histological and ultrastructural analyses of laser micro- and nano-structured titanium implant after 6 months in rabbit,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, vol. 97B, no. 2, pp. 289–298, 2011.
- Yong Wu, Joseph P. Zitelli, Kevor S. TenHuisen, Xiaojun Yu, and Matthew R. Libera, “Differential response of Staphylococci and osteoblasts to varying titanium surface roughness,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 951–960, 2011.
- Caterina Minelli, Akiko Yamamoto, and Mi-Jeong Kim, “Optically Patternable Polymer Films as Model Interfaces to Study Cellular B ehaviour on Topographically Structured Materials,” Journal of Biomaterials Science-Polymer Edition, vol. 22, no. 4-6, pp. 577–588, 2011.
- Mats Hulander, Anders Lundgren, Mattias Berglin, Mattias Ohrlander, Jukka Lausmaa, and Hans Elwing, “Immune complement activation is attenuated by surface nanotopography,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 2653–2666, 2011.
- Fabio Variola, John B. Brunski, Giovanna Orsini, Paulo Tambasco de Oliveira, Rima Wazen, and Antonio Nanci, “Nanoscale surface modifications of medically relevant metals: state-of-the art and perspectives,” Nanoscale, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 335–353, 2011.
- Hsu-An Pan, Yao-Ching Hung, Jin-Chern Chiou, Shih-Ming Tai, Hsin-Hung Chen, and G Steven Huang, “Nanosurface design of dental implants for improved cell growth and function,” Nanotechnology, vol. 23, no. 33, pp. 335703, 2012.
- Claudia Matschegewski, Susanne Staehlke, Harald Birkholz, Regina Lange, Ulrich Beck, Konrad Engel, and J. Barbara Nebe, “Automatic Actin Filament Quantification of Osteoblasts and Their Morphometr ic Analysis on Microtextured Silicon-Titanium Arrays,” Materials, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1176–1195, 2012.
- Kilsoo Jeon, Hyun-Jik Oh, Hyejin Lim, Jung-Hyun Kim, Duk Hyun Lee, Eung-Ryoung Lee, Bae Ho Park, and Ssang-Goo Cho, “Self-renewal of embryonic stem cells through culture on nanopattern polydim ethylsiloxane substrate,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 21, pp. 5206–5220, 2012.
- Shih-Ping Yang, Chyun-Yu Yang, Tzer-Min Lee, and Truan-Sheng Lui, “Effects of calcium-phosphate topography on osteoblast mechanobiology determined using a cytodetacher,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 254–262, 2012.
- Josef Stráský, Jana Havlíková, Lucie Bačáková, Petr Harcuba, Mansour Mhaede, and Miloš Janeček, “Characterization of electric discharge machining, subsequent etching and shot-peening as a surface treatment for orthopedic implants,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 281, pp. 73–78, 2013.
- Halime Kenar, Erhan Akman, Elif Kacar, Arif Demir, Haiwoong Park, Hashim Abdul-Khaliq, Cenk Aktas, and Erdal Karaoz, “Femtosecond laser treatment of 316L improves its surface nanoroughness and carbon content and promotes osseointegration: An in vitro evaluation,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 108, pp. 305–312, 2013.
- Yan Gao, Ying Liu, Lei Zhou, Zehong Guo, Mingdeng Rong, Xiangning Liu, Chunhua Lai, and Xianglong Ding, “The Effects of Different Wavelength UV Photofunctionalization on Micro-Arc Oxidized Titanium,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Stephane Descamps, Vincent Raspal, Matthew B. Johnson, Roshan S. P. Bokalawela, Preston R. Larson, and Curtis F. Doiron, “Mechanical Properties of Nanotextured Titanium Orthopedic Screws for Clinic al Applications,” Journal of Medical Devices-Transactions of The Asme, vol. 7, no. 2, 2013.
- Kyoung Je Cha, Jung Min Hong, Dong-Woo Cho, and Dong Sung Kim, “Enhanced osteogenic fate and function of MC3T3-E1 cells on nanoengineered polystyrene surfaces with nanopillar and nanopore arrays,” Biofabrication, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 025007, 2013.
- Kathryn Grandfield, Anders Palmquist, and Håkan Engqvist, “Three-dimensional structure of laser-modified Ti6Al4V and bone interface revealed with STEM tomography,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 127, pp. 48–52, 2013.
- F. Poncin-Epaillard, J.M. Herry, P. Marmey, G. Legeay, D. Debarnot, and M.N. Bellon-Fontaine, “Elaboration of highly hydrophobic polymeric surface — a potential strategy to reduce the adhesion of pathogenic bacteria?,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 1152–1161, 2013.
- Ajay Vikram Singh, Rajendra Patil, Dipalee K. Thombre, and W. N. Gade, “Micro-nanopatterning as tool to study the role of physicochemical properties on cell-surface interactions,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- H. Yazici, H. Fong, B. Wilson, E.E. Oren, F.A. Amos, H. Zhang, J.S. Evans, M.L. Snead, M. Sarikaya, and C. Tamerler, “Biological response on a titanium implant-grade surface functionalized with modular peptides,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 5341–5352, 2013.
- Anders Palmquist, Anna Johansson, Felicia Suska, Rickard Brånemark, and Peter Thomsen, “Acute Inflammatory Response to Laser-Induced Micro- and Nano-Sized Titanium Surface Features,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 96–104, 2013.
- Ricardo Tejero, Eduardo Anitua, and Gorka Orive, “Towards the biomimetic implant surface: Biopolymers on titanium-based implants for bone regeneration,” Progress in Polymer Science, 2014.