- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 509848, 7 pages
Effects of Condylar Elastic Properties to Temporomandibular Joint Stress
1Department of General Dentistry & Emergency, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an 710032, China
2Division of Oromaxillofacial Regeneration, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
3School of Aerospace, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an 710049, China
Received 25 February 2009; Accepted 18 May 2009
Academic Editor: P. Bryant Chase
Copyright © 2009 Min Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. C. Mow and A. F. Mak, “Lubricant of diarthrodial joints,” in Handbook of Bioengineering, R. Skalak and S. Chien, Eds., pp. 1–34, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- B. Haskell, M. Day, and J. Tetz, “Computer-aided modeling in the assessment of the biomechanical determinants of diverse skeletal patterns,” American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 363–382, 1986.
- Y. Maeda, M. Sogo, S. Tsutsumi, M. Okada, and T. Nokubi, “Biomechanical study of temporomandibular joint on its form and function—part I: condyle morphology in frontal section,” The Journal of Osaka University Dental School, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 1993.
- T. W. P. Korioth and A. G. Hannam, “Effect of bilateral asymmetric tooth clenching on load distribution at the mandibular condyles,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 62–73, 1990.
- J. Chen and L. Xu, “A finite element analysis of the human temporomandibular joint,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 401–407, 1994.
- E. Tanaka, K. Tanne, and M. Sakuda, “A three-dimensional finite element model of the mandible including the TMJ and its application to stress analysis in the TMJ during clenching,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 316–322, 1994.
- K. Nagahara, S. Murata, S. Nakamura, and T. Tsuchiya, “Displacement and stress distribution in the temporomandibular joint during clenching,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 372–379, 1999.
- M. C. Castaño, U. Zapata, A. Pedroza, J. D. Jaramillo, and S. Roldán, “Creation of a three-dimensional model of the mandible and the TMJ in vivo by means of the finite element method,” International Journal of Computerized Dentistry, vol. 5, no. 2-3, pp. 87–99, 2002.
- K. Tanne, E. Tanaka, and M. Sakuda, “Stress distributions in the TMJ during clenching in patients with vertical discrepancies of the craniofacial complex,” Journal of Orofacial Pain, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 153–160, 1995.
- E. Tanaka, T. Shibaguchi, M. Tanaka, and K. Tanne, “Viscoelastic properties of the human temporomandibular joint disc in patients with internal derangement,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 997–1002, 2000.
- B. Buranastidporn, M. Hisano, and K. Soma, “Articular disc displacement in mandibular asymmetry patients,” Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 75–81, 2004.
- B. Buranastidporn, M. Hisano, and K. Soma, “Effect of biomechanical disturbance of the temporomandibular joint on the prevalence of internal derangement in mandibular asymmetry,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 199–205, 2006.
- S. C. Cowin and R. T. Hart, “Errors in the orientation of the principal stress axes if bone tissue is modeled as isotropic,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 349–352, 1990.
- P. C. Dechow and W. L. Hylander, “Elastic properties and masticatory bone stress in the macaque mandible,” American Journal of Physical Anthropology, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 553–574, 2000.
- E. B. W. Giesen and T. M. G. J. van Eijden, “The three-dimensional cancellous bone architecture of the human mandibular condyle,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 957–963, 2000.
- E. B. W. Giesen, M. Ding, M. Dalstra, and T. M. G. J. van Eijden, “Mechanical properties of cancellous bone in the human mandibular condyle are anisotropic,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 799–803, 2001.
- L. J. van Ruijven, E. B. W. Giesen, M. Farella, and T. M. G. J. van Eijden, “Prediction of mechanical properties of the cancellous bone of the mandibular condyle,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 819–823, 2003.
- C. L. Schwartz-Dabney and P. C. Dechow, “Accuracy of elastic property measurement in mandibular cortical bone is improved by using cylindrical specimens,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. 714–723, 2002.
- T. Nomura, J. L. Katz, M. P. Powers, and C. Saito, “A micromechanical elastic property study of trabecular bone in the human mandible,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 629–633, 2007.
- J. Y. Rho, R. B. Ashman, and H. Turner, “Young's modulus of trabecular and cortical bone material: ultrasonic and microtensile measurements,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 111–119, 1993.
- S. S. Kohles, J. R. Bowers, A. C. Vailas, and R. Vanderby Jr., “Ultrasonic wave velocity measurement in small polymeric and cortical bone specimens,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 232–236, 1997.
- R. B. Ashman, S. C. Cowin, W. C. van Buskirk, and J. C. Rice, “A continuous wave technique for the measurement of the elastic properties of cortical bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 349–361, 1984.
- R. B. Ashman and W. C. Van Buskirk, “The elastic properties of a human mandible,” Advances in Dental Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 64–67, 1987.
- R. B. Ashman, P. P. Antich, J. Gonzales, J. A. Anderson, and J. Y. Rho, “A comparison of reflection and transmission ultrasonic techniques for measurement of cancellous bone elasticity,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1195–1199, 1994.
- J. L. Katz, J. H. Kinney, P. Spencer, et al., “Elastic anisotropy of bone and dentitional tissues,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 803–806, 2005.
- Q. Wang, D. S. Strait, and P. C. Dechow, “A comparison of cortical elastic properties in the craniofacial skeletons of three primate species and its relevance to the study of human evolution,” Journal of Human Evolution, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 375–382, 2006.
- F. Linde, “Elastic and viscoelastic properties of trabecular bone by a compression testing approach,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 119–138, 1994.
- R. J. Cornish, D. F. Wilson, R. M. Logan, and O. W. Wiebkin, “Trabecular structure of the condyle of the jaw joint in young and mature sheep: a comparative histomorphometric reference,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2006.
- W. C. van Buskirk, S. C. Cowin, and R. N. Ward, “Ultrasonic measurement of orthotropic elastic constants of bovine femoral bone,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 67–72, 1981.
- J. W. Devocht, V. K. Goel, D. L. Zeitler, and D. Lew, “A study of the control of disc movement within the temporomandibular joint using the finite element technique,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 1431–1437, 1996.
- M.-Q. Wang, M. Zhang, and J.-H. Zhang, “Photoelastic study of the effects of occlusal surface morphology on tooth apical stress from vertical bite forces,” Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 74–93, 2004.
- C. Bifano, G. Hubbard, W. Ehler, and A. N. Goss, “A comparison of the form and function of the human, monkey, and goat temporomandibular joint,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 272–277, 1994.
- J.-I. Ishimaru and A. N. Goss, “A model for osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1191–1195, 1992.
- J. M. Reina, J. M. García-Aznar, J. Domínguez, and M. Doblaré, “Numerical estimation of bone density and elastic constants distribution in a human mandible,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 828–836, 2007.
- A. M. O'Mahony, J. L. Williams, and P. Spencer, “Anisotropic elasticity of cortical and cancellous bone in the posterior mandible increases peri-implant stress and strain under oblique loading,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 648–657, 2001.
- D. S. Strait, Q. Wang, P. C. Dechow, et al., “Modeling elastic properties in finite-element analysis: how much precision is needed to produce an accurate model?” Anatomical Record, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. 275–287, 2005.