- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 571702, 10 pages
Poly(hydroxyalkanoates)-Based Polymeric Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery
Laboratory of Bioactive Polymeric Materials for Biomedical & Environmental Applications, UdR-INSTM, Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry, University of Pisa, Via Risorgimento 35, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Received 13 February 2009; Accepted 29 June 2009
Academic Editor: Phillip E. Klebba
Copyright © 2009 Cesare Errico et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. L. Maia, M. H. A. Santana, and M. I. Ré, “The effect of some processing conditions on the characteristics of biodegradable microspheres obtained by an emulsion solvent evaporation process,” Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2004.
- J. Park, M. Ye, and K. Park, “Biodegradable polymers for microencapsulation of drugs,” Molecules, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 146–161, 2005.
- G. J. Kim, K. H. Bang, Y. B. Kim, and Y. H. Rhee, “Preparation and characterization of native poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) microspheres from Ralstonia eutropha,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 22, no. 18, pp. 1487–1492, 2000.
- C. W. Pouton and S. Akhtar, “Biosynthetic polyhydroxyalkanoates and their potential in drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 133–162, 1996.
- H.-J. Jeon, Y.-I. Jeong, M.-K. Jang, Y.-H. Park, and J.-W. Nah, “Effect of solvent on the preparation of surfactant-free poly(DL-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles and norfloxacin release characteristics,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 207, no. 1-2, pp. 99–108, 2000.
- Y.-I. Jeong, C.-S. Cho, S.-H. Kim, et al., “Preparation of poly(DL-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles without surfactant,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 2228–2236, 2001.
- J. L. Armstrong, C. P. F. Redfern, and G. J. Veal, “13-cis retinoic acid and isomerisation in paediatric oncology—is changing shape the key to success?” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1299–1306, 2005.
- N. Noy, “Retinoid-binding proteins: mediators of retinoid action,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 348, no. 3, pp. 481–495, 2000.
- T. K. Maiti, K. S. Ghosh, J. Debnath, and S. Dasgupta, “Binding of all-trans retinoic acid to human serum albumin: fluorescence, FT-IR and circular dichroism studies,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 3–5, pp. 197–202, 2006.
- G. Zuccari, R. Carosio, A. Fini, P. G. Montaldo, and I. Orienti, “Modified polyvinylalcohol for encapsulation of all-trans-retinoic acid in polymeric micelles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 369–380, 2005.
- K. D. Newman and M. W. McBurney, “Poly(D,L lactic-co-glycolic acid) microspheres as biodegradable microcarriers for pluripotent stem cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 26, pp. 5763–5771, 2004.
- E. Z. Szuts and F. I. Harosi, “Solubility of retinoids in water,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. 297–304, 1991.
- Y.-I. Jeong, M.-K. Kang, H.-S. Sun, et al., “All-trans-retinoic acid release from core-shell type nanoparticles of poly(-caprolactone)/poly(ethylene glycol) diblock copolymer,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 273, no. 1-2, pp. 95–107, 2004.
- B. Ozpolat, G. Lopez-Berestein, P. Adamson, C. H. J. Fu, and A. T. Williams, “Pharmacokinetics of intravenously administered liposomal all-trans-retinoic acid (ATRA) and orally administered ATRA in healthy volunteers,” Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 292–301, 2003.
- U. Bilati, E. Allémann, and E. Doelker, “Development of a nanoprecipitation method intended for the entrapment of hydrophilic drugs into nanoparticles,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2005.
- J. A. Molina-Bolívar and J. L. Ortega-Vinuesa, “How proteins stabilize colloidal particles by means of hydration forces,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2644–2653, 1999.
- V. Privman, D. V. Goia, J. Park, and E. Matijević, “Mechanism of formation of monodispersed colloids by aggregation of nanosize precursors,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 36–45, 1999.
- N. Noy, “The ionization behavior of retinoic acid in aqueous environments and bound to serum albumin,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1106, no. 1, pp. 151–158, 1992.
- F. Chiellini, C. Bartoli, D. Dinucci, A. M. Piras, R. Anderson, and T. Croucher, “Bioeliminable polymeric nanoparticles for proteic drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 343, no. 1-2, pp. 90–97, 2007.