- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 619487, 8 pages
Pyrrolidine Dithiocarbamate Attenuates Paraquat-Induced Lung Injury in Rats
Department of Occupational Health and Toxicology, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Received 27 February 2009; Accepted 26 May 2009
Academic Editor: Michael Cunningham
Copyright © 2009 Xiuli Chang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Dinis-Oliveira, M. J. De Jesús Valle, M. L. Bastos, F. Carvalho, and A. Sánchez Navarro, “Kinetics of paraquat in the isolated rat lung: influence of sodium depletion,” Xenobiotica, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 724–737, 2006.
- R. J. Dinis-Oliveira, F. Remião, H. Carmo, et al., “Paraquat exposure as an etiological factor of Parkinson's disease,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1110–1122, 2006.
- C. P. Lewis and B. Nemery, Pathophysiology and Biochemical Mechanisms of the Pulmonary Toxicity of Paraquat, vol. 10, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- H. W. Gil, M. H. Oh, K. M. Woo, E. Y. Lee, M. H. Oh, and S. Y. Hong, “Relationship between pulmonary surfactant protein and lipid peroxidation in lung injury due to paraquat intoxication in rats,” The Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 67–72, 2007.
- M. Yamashita, M. Yamashita, and Y. Ando, “A long-term follow-up of lung function in survivors of paraquat poisoning,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 99–103, 2000.
- D. N. Bateman, “Pharmacological treatments of paraquat poisoning,” Human Toxicology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 1987.
- P. Honore, P. Hantson, J. P. Fauville, A. Peeters, and P. Mahieu, “Paraquat poisoning,” Acta Clinica Belgica, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 220–228, 1994.
- A. T. Proudfoot, L. F. Prescott, and D. R. Jarvie, “Haemodialysis for paraquat poisoning,” Human Toxicology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 1987.
- Z. E. Suntres, “Role of antioxidants in paraquat toxicity,” Toxicology, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 65–77, 2002.
- C. Li, W. Browder, and R. L. Kao, “Early activation of transcription factor NF-B during ischemia in perfused rat heart,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 276, no. 2, pp. H543–H552, 1999.
- S. Orrenius, C. S. I. Nobel, D. J. van den Dobbelsteen, M. J. Burkitt, and A. F. G. Slater, “Dithiocarbamates and the redox regulation of cell death,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1032–1038, 1996.
- A. Iseki, F. Kambe, K. Okumura, et al., “Pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate inhibits TNF--dependent activation of NF-B by increasing intracellular copper level in human aortic smooth muscle cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 88–92, 2000.
- S. D. Ross, I. L. Kron, J. J. Gangemi, et al., “Attenuation of lung reperfusion injury after transplantation using an inhibitor of nuclear factor-B,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 279, no. 3, pp. L528–L536, 2000.
- R. Schreck, B. Meier, D. N. Männel, W. Dröge, and P. A. Baeuerle, “Dithiocarbamates as potent inhibitors of nuclear factor B activation in intact cells,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 1181–1194, 1992.
- D. N. Muller, R. Dechend, E. M. A. Mervaala, et al., “NF-B inhibition ameliorates angiotensin II-induced inflammatory damage in rats,” Hypertension, vol. 35, no. 1, part 2, pp. 193–201, 2000.
- S. F. Liu, X. Ye, and A. B. Malik, “Inhibition of NF-B activation by pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate prevents in vivo expression of proinflammatory genes,” Circulation, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 1330–1337, 1999.
- S. Borrello and B. Demple, “NFB-independent transcriptional induction of the human manganous superoxide dismutase gene,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 289–294, 1997.
- A. C. Wild and R. T. Mulcahy, “Pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate up-regulates the expression of the genes encoding the catalytic and regulatory subunits of -glutamylcysteine synthetase and increases intracellular glutathione levels,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 338, no. 3, pp. 659–665, 1999.
- A. B. Nathens, R. Bitar, C. Davreux, et al., “Pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate attenuates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 608–616, 1997.
- S. V. Szapiel, N. A. Elson, J. D. Fulmer, G. W. Hunninghake, and R. G. Crystal, “Bleomycin-induced interstitial pulmonary disease in the nude, athymic mouse,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 893–899, 1979.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- A. Autor, Biochemical Mechanisms of Paraquat Toxicity, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- T. E. Gram, “Chemically reactive intermediates and pulmonary xenobiotic therapy,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 297–341, 1997.
- J. S. Bus, S. D. Aust, and J. E. Gibson, “Superoxide and singlet oxygen catalyzed lipid peroxidation as a possible mechanism for paraquat (methyl viologen) toxicity,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 749–755, 1974.
- C.-M. Chen and A. C. Lua, “Lung toxicity of paraquat in the rat,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 477–487, 2000.
- R. J. Youngman and E. F. Elstner, “Oxygen species in paraquat toxicity: the crypto-OH radical,” FEBS Letters, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 265–268, 1981.
- P. Smith and D. Heath, “Paraquat,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 411–445, 1976.
- S. H. Lee, K. S. Lee, J. M. Ahn, S. H. Kim, and S. Y. Hong, “Paraquat poisoning of the lung: thin-section CT findings,” Radiology, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 271–274, 1995.
- W. A. Border and E. Ruoslahti, “Transforming growth factor- in disease: the dark side of tissue repair,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1992.
- J. Gauldie, P. J. Sime, Z. Xing, B. Marr, and G. M. Tremblay, “Transforming growth factor-beta gene transfer to the lung induces myofibroblast presence and pulmonary fibrosis,” Current Topics in Pathology, vol. 93, pp. 35–45, 1999.
- N. J. Kenyon, R. W. Ward, G. McGrew, and J. A. Last, “TGF-1 causes airway fibrosis and increased collagen I and III mRNA in mice,” Thorax, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 772–777, 2003.
- Y.-C. Fong, M.-C. Maa, F.-J. Tsai, et al., “Osteoblast-derived TGF-1 stimulates IL-8 release through AP-1 and NF-B in human cancer cells,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 961–970, 2008.