- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 717102, 12 pages
An Evaluation of Cellular Neural Networks for the Automatic Identification of Cephalometric Landmarks on Digital Images
1Istituto di II Clinica Odontoiatrica, Policlinico Città Universitaria, Via S. Sofia 78, 95123 Catania, Italy
2Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica e Telecomunicazioni, Università di Catania, Viale A. Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Received 16 February 2009; Revised 16 May 2009; Accepted 18 June 2009
Academic Editor: Rita Casadio
Copyright © 2009 Rosalia Leonardi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. H. Broadbent, “A new X-ray technique and its application to orthodontia,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 1, pp. 45–66, 1931.
- S. Baumrind and D. M. Miller, “Computer-aided head film analysis: the University of California San Francisco method,” American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 41–65, 1980.
- D. B. Forsyth, W. C. Shaw, S. Richmond, and C. T. Roberts, “Digital imaging of cephalometric radiographs—part 2: image quality,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 1996.
- R. Leonardi, D. Giordano, F. Maiorana, and C. Spampinato, “Automatic cephalometric analysis: a systematic review,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 145–151, 2008.
- T. J. Hutton, S. Cunningham, and P. Hammond, “An evaluation of active shape models for the automatic identification of cephalometric landmarks,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 499–508, 2000.
- W. Yue, D. Yin, C. Li, G. Wang, and T. Xu, “Automated 2-D cephalometric analysis on X-ray images by a model-based approach,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1615–1623, 2006.
- A. D. Lévy-Mandel, A. N. Venetsanopoulos, and J. K. Tsotsos, “Knowledge-based landmarking of cephalograms,” Computers and Biomedical Research, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 282–309, 1986.
- S. Parthasarathy, S. T. Nugent, P. G. Gregson, and D. F. Fay, “Automatic landmarking of cephalograms,” Computers and Biomedical Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 248–269, 1989.
- D. B. Forsyth and D. N. Davis, “Assessment of an automated cephalometric analysis system,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 471–478, 1996.
- B. Romaniuk, M. Desvignes, M. Revenu, and M.-J. Deshayes, “Shape variability and spatial relationships modeling in statistical pattern recognition,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 239–247, 2004.
- D. J. Rudolph, P. M. Sinclair, and J. M. Coggins, “Automatic computerized radiographic identification of cephalometric landmarks,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 1998.
- Y.-T. Chen, K.-S. Cheng, and J.-K. Liu, “Improving cephalogram analysis through feature subimage extraction,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 1999.
- J. Cardillo and M. A. Sid-Ahmed, “An image processing system for locating craniofacial landmarks,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 275–289, 1994.
- V. Ciesielski, A. Innes, J. Sabu, and J. Mamutil, “Genetic programming for landmark detection in cephalometric radiology images,” International Journal of Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Engineering Systems, vol. 7, pp. 164–171, 2003.
- S. Sanei, P. Sanaei, and M. Zahabsaniei, “Cephalogram analysis applying template matching and fuzzy logic,” Image and Vision Computing, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 1999.
- I. El-Feghi, M. A. Sid-Ahmed, and M. Ahmadi, “Automatic localization of craniofacial landmarks for assisted cephalometry,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 609–621, 2004.
- J.-K. Liu, Y.-T. Chen, and K.-S. Cheng, “Accuracy of computerized automatic identification of cephalometric landmarks,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 535–540, 2000.
- V. Grau, M. Alcañiz, M. C. Juan, C. Monserrat, and C. Knoll, “Automatic localization of cephalometric landmarks,” Journal of Biomedical Informatics, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 146–156, 2001.
- J. Yang, X. Ling, Y. Lu, M. Wei, and G. Deng, “Cephalometric image analysis and measurement for orthognatic surgery,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, vol. 39, pp. 279–284, 2001.
- T. Stamm, H. A. Brinkhaus, U. Ehmer, N. Meier, and F. Bollmann, “Computer-aided automated landmarking of cephalograms,” Journal of Orofacial Orthopedics, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 73–81, 1998.
- D. Giordano, R. Leonardi, F. Maiorana, G. Cristaldi, and M. L. Distefano, “Automatic landmarking of cephalograms by cellular neural networks,” in Proceedings of the 10th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIME '05), vol. 3581 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 333–342, Aberdeen, Scotland, July 2005.
- D. Giordano, R. Leonardi, F. Maiorana, and C. Spampinato, “Cellular neural networks and dynamic enhancement for cephalometric landmarks detection,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing (ICAISC '06), vol. 4029 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 768–777, Zakopane, Poland, June 2006.
- L. Q. Bruntz, J. M. Palomo, S. Baden, and M. G. Hans, “A comparison of scanned lateral cephalograms with corresponding original radiographs,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 340–348, 2006.
- R. K. W. Schulze, M. B. Gloede, and G. M. Doll, “Landmark identification on direct digital versus film-based cephalometric radiographs: a human skull study,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 635–642, 2002.
- M. Santoro, K. Jarjoura, and T. J. Cangialosi, “Accuracy of digital and analogue cephalometric measurements assessed with the sandwich technique,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 345–351, 2006.
- L. O. Chua and T. Roska, “The CNN paradigm,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 147–156, 1993.
- T. Roska, L. Kek, L. Nemes, A. Zarandy, and P. Szolgay, CSL CNN Software Library (Templates and Algorithms), Budapest, Hungary, 1999.
- I. Aizenberg, N. Aizenberg, J. Hiltner, C. Moraga, and E. Meyer Zu Bexten, “Cellular neural networks and computational intelligence in medical image processing,” Image and Vision Computing, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 177–183, 2001.
- T. Yang, Handbook of CNN Image Processing, Yang's Scientific Research Institute LLC, 2002.
- T. Szabo, P. Barsi, and P. Szolgay, “Application of analogic CNN algorithms in telemedical neuroradiology,” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Workshop on Cellular Neural Networks and Their Applications (CNNA '02), pp. 579–586, 2002.
- A. Gacsádi, C. Grava, and A. Grava, “Medical image enhancement by using cellular neural networks,” Computers in Cardiology, vol. 32, pp. 821–824, 2005.
- D. Giordano and F. Maiorana, “A grid implementation of a cellular neural network simulator,” in Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Workshop on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WETICE '07), pp. 241–246, Paris, France, 2007.
- W. Geelen, A. Wenzel, E. Gotfredsen, M. Kruger, and L.-G. Hansson, “Reproducibility of cephalometric landmarks on conventional film, hardcopy, and monitor-displayed images obtained by the storage phosphor technique,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 331–340, 1998.
- Y.-J. Chen, S.-K. Chen, J. C.-C. Yao, and H.-F. Chang, “The effects of differences in landmark identification on the cephalometric measurements in traditional versus digitized cephalometry,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 155–161, 2004.
- B. Trpkova, P. Major, N. Prasad, and B. Nebbe, “Cephalometric landmarks identification and reproducibility: a meta analysis,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 1997.