- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 876093, 6 pages
Characterization of Arterial Wave Reflection in Healthy Bonnet Macaques: Feasibility of Applanation Tonometry
1Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
2Primate Behavior Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry State University of New York , Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
3Department of Surgery, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Received 23 October 2008; Accepted 12 December 2008
Academic Editor: Mohamed Boutjdir
Copyright © 2009 Jason Lazar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Haider, C. K. Yeh, G. Thomas, H. A. Oldewurtel, M. M. Lyons, and T. J. Regan, “Altered myocardial function and collagen in diabetic rhesus monkeys on atherogenic diet,” Transactions of the Association of American Physicians, vol. 91, pp. 197–203, 1978.
- M. M. Swindle, J. R. Blum, S. D. Lima, and J. L. Weiss, “Spontaneous mitral valve prolapse in a breeding colony of rhesus monkeys,” Circulation, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 146–153, 1985.
- M. H. Crawford, R. A. Walsh, D. Cragg, G. L. Freeman, and J. Miller, “Echocardiographic left ventricular mass and function in the hypertensive baboon,” Hypertension, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 339–345, 1987.
- D. Wallrabe, F. Wolter, H. Heine, G. Martin, T. Urmantscheeva, and W. Storrer, “The application of the doppler echocardiography for the determination of the prompt hemodynamic reactors in the rhesus monkeys,” Zeitschrift für Klinische Medizin, vol. 44, pp. 483–492, 1989.
- J. K. Williams, M. S. Anthony, and T. B. Clarkson, “Coronary heart disease in rhesus monkeys with diet-induced coronary artery atherosclerosis,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 784–790, 1991.
- P. V. Vaitkevicius, M. Lane, H. Spurgeon, et al., “A cross-link breaker has sustained effects on arterial and ventricular properties in older rhesus monkeys,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 1171–1175, 2001.
- C. E. Korcarz, P. A. Padrid, S. G. Shroff, L. Weinert, and R. M. Lang, “Doppler echocardiographic reference values for healthy rhesus monkeys under ketamine hydrochloride sedation,” Journal of Medical Primatology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 287–298, 1997.
- Y. Zhang, H. Tang, and H. Huang, “Echocardiography of Rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta),” Chinese Journal of Zoology (Peking), vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 95–98, 2005.
- M. M. Swindle, J. R. Blum, and J. L. Weiss, “Morphometric studies of the heart in normal rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta),” Journal of Medical Primatology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 433–440, 1986.
- J. M. Lazar, G. Qureshi, M. R. Qureshi, et al., “Left ventricular systolic and diastolic function in healthy adult bonnet macaques (Macaca radiata): new echocardiographic indices in old world monkeys,” Cardiology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 116–121, 2008.
- D. D. Buss, D. M. Hyde, and P. W. Poulos, Jr., “Coronary artery distribution in bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata),” Anatomical Record, vol. 203, no. 3, pp. 411–417, 1982.
- S. Sandhyamani, “Cardiovascular effects in bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata) of a cassava-based protein-deficient diet,” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 429–430, 1991.
- S. Sandhyamani, “Vasculopathic and cardiomyopathic changes induced by low-protein high-carbohydrate tapioca based diet in Bonnet monkey: vasculopathic and cardiomyopathic changes in induced malnutrition,” American Journal of Cardiovascular Pathology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 1992.
- T. Kawashima, K. Sato, K. Akita, and H. Sasaki, “Comparative anatomical study of the autonomic cardiac nervous system in macaque monkeys,” Journal of Morphology, vol. 266, no. 1, pp. 112–124, 2005.
- N. A. Nussmeier, J. L. Benthuysen, E. P. Steffey, et al., “Cardiovascular, respiratory, and analgesic effects of fentanyl in unanesthetized rhesus monkeys,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 221–226, 1991.
- D. Kaufman, E. L. P. Smith, B. C. Gohil, et al., “Early appearance of the metabolic syndrome in socially reared bonnet macaques,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 404–408, 2005.
- W. W. Nichols, “Clinical measurement of arterial stiffness obtained from noninvasive pressure waveforms,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 1, part 2, pp. 3S–10S, 2005.
- C.-H. Chen, E. Nevo, B. Fetics, et al., “Estimation of Central aortic pressure waveform by mathematical transformation of radial tonometry pressure: validation of generalized transfer function,” Circulation, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1827–1836, 1997.
- P. Boutouyrie, A. I. Tropeano, R. Asmar, et al., “Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of primary coronary events in hypertensive patients: a longitudinal study,” Hypertension, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 10–15, 2002.
- G. Qureshi, R. Brown, L. Salciccioli, et al., “Relationship between aortic atherosclerosis and non-invasive measures of arterial stiffness,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. e190–e194, 2007.
- K.-L. Jen, B. C. Hansen, and B. L. Metzger, “Adiposity, anthropometric measures, and plasma insulin levels of rhesus monkeys,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 213–224, 1985.
- C. T. Liu and G. A. Higbee, “Determination of body surface area in the rhesus monkey,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 101–104, 1976.
- R. M. Lang, M. Bierig, R. B. Devereux, et al., “Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's guidelines and standards committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1440–1463, 2005.
- D. J. Farrar, H. D. Green, M. G. Bond, W. D. Wagner, and R. A. Gobbeé, “Aortic pulse wave velocity, elasticity, and composition in a nonhuman primate model of atherosclerosis,” Circulation Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 52–62, 1978.
- S. C. Koenig, D. A. Ludwig, C. Reister, J. W. Fanton, D. Ewert, and V. A. Convertino, “Left ventricular, systemic arterial, and baroreflex responses to ketamine and TEE in chronically instrumented monkeys,” Comparative Medicine, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 513–517, 2001.
- I. B. Wilkinson, H. MacCallum, L. Flint, J. R. Cockcroft, D. E. Newby, and D. J. Webb, “The influence of heart rate on augmentation index and central arterial pressure in humans,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 525, no. 1, pp. 263–270, 2000.
- C. D. Gatzka, B. A. Kingwell, J. D. Cameron, et al., “Gender differences in the timing of arterial wave reflection beyond differences in body height,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 2197–2203, 2001.
- J. Hashimoto, Y. Imai, and M. F. O'Rourke, “Indices of pulse wave analysis are better predictors of left ventricular mass reduction than cuff pressure,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 378–384, 2007.
- M. J. C. A. van Trijp, W. J. W. Bos, C. S. P. M. Uiterwaal, et al., “Determinants of augmentation index in young men: the ARYA study,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 825–830, 2004.