- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 932961, 7 pages
Immunohistochemical Localisation of PDE5 in Rat Lung during Pre- and Postnatal Development
1Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, Sapienza University of Rome, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
2Department of Basic and Applied Biology, University of L'Aquila, Via Vetoio 10, 67010 L'Aquila, Italy
Received 31 March 2009; Accepted 18 June 2009
Academic Editor: Richard Tucker
Copyright © 2009 Angela Scipioni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. H. Soderling and J. A. Beavo, “Regulation of cAMP and cGMP signaling: new phosphodiesterases and new functions,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 174–179, 2000.
- T. M. Lincoln, C. L. Hall, C. Park, and J. D. Corbin, “Guanosine cyclic monophosphate binding proteins in rat tissues,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 2559–2563, 1976.
- J. F. Coquil, G. Brunelle, and J. Guedon, “Occurrence of the methylisobutylxanthine-stimulated cyclic GMP binding protein in various rat tissues,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 226–231, 1985.
- J. D. Corbin, A. Beasley, M. A. Blount, and S. H. Francis, “High lung PDE5: a strong basis for treating pulmonary hypertension with PDE5 inhibitors,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 334, no. 3, pp. 930–938, 2005.
- A. Sebkhi, J. W. Strange, S. C. Phillips, J. Wharton, and M. R. Wilkins, “Phosphodiesterase type 5 as a target for the treatment of hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 25, pp. 3230–3235, 2003.
- M. R. Maclean, E. D. Johnston, K. M. Mcculloch, L. Pooley, M. D. Houslay, and G. Sweeney, “Phosphodiesterase isoforms in the pulmonary arterial circulation of the rat: changes in pulmonary hypertension,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. 619–624, 1997.
- O. Pauvert, S. Bonnet, E. Rousseau, R. Marthan, and J.-P. Savineau, “Sildenafil alters calcium signaling and vascular tone in pulmonary arteries from chronically hypoxic rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 3, pp. L577–L583, 2004.
- M. K. Steiner, I. R. Preston, J. R. Klinger, and N. S. Hill, “Pulmonary hypertension: inhaled nitric oxide, sildenafil and natriuretic peptides,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 2005.
- N. Kawai, D. B. Bloch, G. Filippov, et al., “Constitutive endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene expression is regulated during lung development,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 268, no. 4, pp. L589–L595, 1995.
- K. D. Bloch, G. Filippov, L. S. Sanchez, M. Nakane, and S. M. de La Monte, “Pulmonary soluble guanylate cyclase, a nitric oxide receptor, is increased during the perinatal period,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 272, no. 3, pp. L400–L406, 1997.
- K. A. Hanson, F. Burns, S. D. Rybalkin, J. W. Miller, J. Beavo, and W. R. Clarke, “Developmental changes in lung cGMP phosphodiesterase-5 activity, protein, and message,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 279–288, 1998.
- L. S. Sanchez, S. M. de la Monte, G. Filippov, R. C. Jones, W. M. Zapol, and K. D. Bloch, “Cyclic-GMP-binding, cyclic-GMP-specific phosphodiesterase (PDE5) gene expression is regulated during rat pulmonary development,” Pediatric Research, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 163–168, 1998.
- S. M. Black, L. S. Sanchez, E. Mata-Greenwood, J. M. Bekker, R. H. Steinhorn, and J. R. Fineman, “sGC and PDE5 are elevated in lambs with increased pulmonary blood flow and pulmonary hypertension,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 5, pp. L1051–L1057, 2001.
- K. A. Hanson, J. W. Ziegler, S. D. Rybalkin, J. W. Miller, S. H. Abman, and W. R. Clarke, “Chronic pulmonary hypertension increases fetal lung cGMP phosphodiesterase activity,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 275, no. 5, pp. L931–L941, 1998.
- J. Weimann, R. Ullrich, J. Hromi, et al., “Sildenafil is a pulmonary vasodilator in awake lambs with acute pulmonary hypertension,” Anesthesiology, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1702–1712, 2000.
- F. Ichinose, J. Erana-Garcia, J. Hromi, et al., “Nebulized sildenafil is a selective pulmonary vasodilator in lambs with acute pulmonary hypertension,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1000–1005, 2001.
- F. Ladha, S. Bonnet, F. Eaton, K. Hashimoto, G. Korbutt, and B. Thébaud, “Sildenafil improves alveolar growth and pulmonary hypertension in hyperoxia-induced lung injury,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 172, no. 6, pp. 750–756, 2005.
- J. N. Travadi and S. K. Patole, “Phosphodiesterase inhibitors for persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn: a review,” Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 529–535, 2003.
- J. Kotera, N. Yanaka, K. Fujishige, et al., “Expression of rat cGMP-binding cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase mRNA in Purkinje cell layers during postnatal neuronal development,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 249, no. 2, pp. 434–442, 1997.
- J. Kotera, K. Fujishige, and K. Omori, “Immunohistochemical localization of cGMP-binding cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase (PDE5) in rat tissues,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 685–693, 2000.
- D. Giordano, M. E. De Stefano, G. Citro, A. Modica, and M. Giorgi, “Expression of cGMP-binding cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase (PDE5) in mouse tissues and cell lines using an antibody against the enzyme amino-terminal domain,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1539, no. 1-2, pp. 16–27, 2001.
- J. Wharton, J. W. Strange, G. M. O. Møller, et al., “Antiproliferative effects of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibition in human pulmonary artery cells,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 105–113, 2005.
- K. N. Farrow, B. S. Groh, P. T. Schumacker, et al., “Hyperoxia increases phosphodiesterase 5 expression and activity in ovine fetal pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells,” Circulation Research, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 226–233, 2008.
- J. C. Adams, “Biotin amplification of biotin and horseradish peroxidase signals in histochemical stains,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1457–1463, 1992.
- C. S. Lin, A. Lau, R. Tu, and T. F. Lue, “Expression of three isoforms of cGMP-binding cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase (PDE5) in human penile cavernosum,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 268, pp. 628–635, 2000.
- O. Lowry, N. J. Rosembrough, A. R. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- F. Shalaby, J. Rossant, T. P. Yamaguchi, et al., “Failure of blood-island formation and vasculogenesis in Flk-1-deficient mice,” Nature, vol. 376, no. 6535, pp. 62–66, 1995.
- A. J. Bhatt, S. B. Amin, P. R. Chess, R. H. Watkins, and W. M. Maniscalco, “Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and Flk-1 in developing and glucocorticoid-treated mouse lung,” Pediatric Research, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 606–613, 2000.
- Y.-S. Ng, R. Rohan, M. E. Sunday, D. E. Demello, and P. A. D'Amore, “Differential expression of VEGF isoforms in mouse during development and in the adult,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 220, no. 2, pp. 112–121, 2001.
- B.-Q. Shen, D. Y. Lee, and T. F. Zioncheck, “Vascular endothelial growth factor governs endothelial nitric-oxide synthase expression via a KDR/Flk-1 receptor and a protein kinase C signaling pathway,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 46, pp. 33057–33063, 1999.
- D. Fukumura, T. Gohongi, A. Kadambi, et al., “Predominant role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis and vascular permeability,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 2604–2609, 2001.
- M. Yamada, H. Kurihara, K. Kinoshita, and T. Sakai, “Temporal expression of alpha-smooth muscle actin and drebrin in septal interstitial cells during alveolar maturation,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 735–744, 2005.
- V. Nehls and D. Drenckhahn, “Heterogeneity of microvascular pericytes for smooth muscle type alpha-actin,” The Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 113, pp. 147–154, 1991.
- Y. Kapanci, C. Ribaux, C. Chaponnier, and G. Gabbiani, “Cytoskeletal features of alveolar myofibroblasts and pericytes in normal human and rat lung,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1955–1963, 1992.
- Y. Kapanci, A. Desmouliere, J.-C. Pache, M. Redard, and G. Gabbiani, “Cytoskeletal protein modulation in pulmonary alveolar myofibroblasts during idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: possible role of transforming growth factor beta and tumor necrosis factor alpha,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 152, no. 6, pp. 2163–2169, 1995.
- H.-Y. Zhang, M. Gharaee-Kermani, K. Zhang, S. Karmiol, and S. H. Phan, “Lung fibroblast -smooth muscle actin expression and contractile phenotype in bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 527–537, 1996.
- K. Jostarndt-Fögen, V. Djonov, and A. Draeger, “Expression of smooth muscle markers in the developing murine lung: potential contractile properties and lineal descent,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 273–284, 1998.
- E. Shimizu, Y. Kobayashi, Y. Oki, T. Kawasaki, T. Yoshimi, and H. Nakamura, “OPC-13013, a cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase type III inhibitor, inhibits cell proliferation and transdifferentiation of cultured rat hepatic stellate cells,” Life Sciences, vol. 64, no. 23, pp. 2081–2088, 1999.
- T. D. Hewitson, M. Martic, K. J. Kelynack, E. Pedagogos, and G. J. Becker, “Pentoxifylline reduces in vitro renal myofibroblast proliferation and collagen secretion,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 82–88, 2000.
- D. Schuppan and Y. Porov, “Hepatic fibrosis: from bench to bedside,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, supplement 3, pp. S300–S305, 2002.
- Y. Kapanci and G. Gabbiani, “Contractile cells in pulmonary alveolar tissue,” in The Lung: Scientific Foundations, R. G. Crystal, J. B. West, E. R. Weibel, and P. J. Barnes, Eds., pp. 697–707, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1997.
- E. R. Weibel and R. G. Crystal, “Structural organization of the pulmonary interstitium,” in The Lung: Scientific Foundations, R. G. Crystal, J. B. West, E. R. Weibel, and P. J. Barnes, Eds., pp. 685–695, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1997.