- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 171537, 10 pages
Cysteine-Free Proteins in the Immunobiology of Arthropod-Borne Diseases
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Central Receiving, 200 W. Lake Street, Campus Delivery 1619, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Received 1 August 2009; Accepted 13 October 2009
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2010 J. Santiago Mejia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. G. Gratz, “Emerging and resurging vector-borne diseases,” Annual Review of Entomology, vol. 44, pp. 51–75, 1999.
- R. W. Sutherst, “Global change and human vulnerability to vector-borne diseases,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 136–173, 2004.
- T. V. Inglesby, D. T. Dennis, D. A. Henderson, et al., “Plague as a biological weapon: medical and public health management. Working Group on Civilian Biodefense,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 17, pp. 2281–2290, 2000.
- P. C. F. Oyston, A. Sjostedt, and R. W. Titball, “Tularaemia: bioterrorism defence renews interest in Francisella tularensis,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 967–978, 2004.
- A. F. Azad, “Pathogenic rickettsiae as bioterrorism agents,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 45, supplement 1, pp. S52–S55, 2007.
- S. C. Arya, “Yellow fever vaccine safety: a reality or a myth?” Vaccine, vol. 20, no. 31-32, pp. 3627–3628, 2002.
- A. Nalca, P. F. Fellows, and C. A. Whitehouse, “Vaccines and animal models for arboviral encephalitides,” Antiviral Research, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 153–174, 2003.
- C. Pinilla, R. Martin, B. Gran, et al., “Exploring immunological specificity using synthetic peptide combinatorial libraries,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 193–202, 1999.
- K. W. Wucherpfennig, P. M. Allen, F. Celada, et al., “Polyspecificity of T cell and B cell receptor recognition,” Seminars in Immunology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 216–224, 2007.
- P. Tompa, “Intrinsically unstructured proteins,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 527–533, 2002.
- P. Tompa and M. Fuxreiter, “Fuzzy complexes: polymorphism and structural disorder in protein-protein interactions,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 2–8, 2008.
- P. Romero, Z. Obradovic, and A. K. Dunker, “Natively disordered proteins: functions and predictions,” Applied Bioinformatics, vol. 3, no. 2-3, pp. 105–113, 2004.
- K. Peng, P. Radivojac, S. Vucetic, A. K. Dunker, and Z. Obradovic, “Length-dependent prediction of protein in intrinsic disorder,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 7, article 208, 2006.
- J. A. Greenbaum, P. H. Andersen, M. Blythe, et al., “Towards a consensus on datasets and evaluation metrics for developing B-cell epitope prediction tools,” Journal of Molecular Recognition, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 75–82, 2007.
- I. Letunic, R. R. Copley, B. Pils, S. Pinkert, J. Schultz, and P. Bork, “SMART 5: domains in the context of genomes and networks,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 34, database issue, pp. D257–D260, 2006.
- J. D. Bendtsen, H. Nielsen, G. von Heijne, and S. Brunak, “Improved prediction of signal peptides: signalP 3.0,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 340, no. 4, pp. 783–795, 2004.
- P. Emsley, I. G. Charles, N. F. Fairweather, and N. W. Isaacs, “Structure of Bordetella pertussis virulence factor P.69 pertactin,” Nature, vol. 381, no. 6577, pp. 90–92, 1996.
- I. R. Henderson, F. Navarro-Garcia, and J. P. Nataro, “The great escape: structure and function of the autotransporter proteins,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 370–378, 1998.
- R. G. Titus, J. V. Bishop, and J. S. Mejia, “The immunomodulatory factors of arthropod saliva and the potential for these factors to serve as vaccine targets to prevent pathogen transmission,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 131–141, 2006.
- J. S. Mejia, J. V. Bishop, and R. G. Titus, “Is it possible to develop pan-arthropod vaccines?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 367–370, 2006.
- W. C. Black IV and B. C. Kondratieff, “Evolution of arthropod disease vector,” in Biology of Disease Vectors, W. C. Marquardt, et al., Ed., pp. 9–23, Elsevier, London, UK, 2nd edition, 2005.
- R. B. Bass, S. L. Butler, S. A. Chervitz, S. L. Gloor, and J. J. Falke, “Use of site-directed cysteine and disulfide chemistry to probe protein structure and dynamics: applications to soluble and transmembrane receptors of bacterial chemotaxis,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 423, pp. 25–51, 2007.
- M. Palmer, P. Saweljew, I. Vulicevic, A. Valeva, M. Kehoe, and S. Bhakdi, “Membrane-penetrating domain of streptolysin O identified by cysteine scanning mutagenesis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 43, pp. 26664–26667, 1996.
- A. Rimon, C. Hunte, H. Michel, and E. Padan, “Epitope mapping of conformational monoclonal antibodies specific to NhaA / antiporter: structural and functional implications,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 379, no. 3, pp. 471–481, 2008.
- J. S. Mejia, F. Moreno, C. Muskus, I. D. Véez, and R. G. Titus, “The surface-mosaic model in host-parasite relationships,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 508–511, 2004.
- A. Mohan, W. J. Sullivan Jr., P. Radivojac, A. K. Dunker, and V. N. Uversky, “Intrinsec disorder in pathogenic and non-pathogenic microbes: discovering and analyzing the unfoldomes of early-branching eukaryotes,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 328–340, 2008.
- L. Sottrup-Jensen, “-macroglobulins: structure, shape, and mechanism of proteinase complex formation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 264, no. 20, pp. 11539–11542, 1989.