- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 179817, 6 pages
Histochemical Evaluation of Human Prostatic Tissues with Cratylia mollis Seed Lectin
1Laboratório de Glicoproteínas, Departamento de Bioquímica, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco (UFPE), 50670-901 Recife, PE, Brazil
2Laboratório de Imunopatologia Keizo Asami (LIKA), UFPE, 50670-901 Recife, PE, Brazil
Received 26 August 2009; Revised 16 March 2010; Accepted 13 April 2010
Academic Editor: Richard D. Ludescher
Copyright © 2010 Amanda L. R. de Lima et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Bryant and F. C. Hamdy, “Screening for prostate cancer: an update,” European Urology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2008.
- Instituto Nacional de Câncer; Ministério da Saúde, “Estimativas 2008: incidência de câncer no Brasil,” Rio de Janeiro (Brasil): INCA; 2007, http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/publicacoes/estimativa_incidencia_cancer_2008.pdf.
- W. Isaacs, A. De Marzo, and W. G. Nelson, “Focus on prostate cancer,” Cancer Cell, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 113–116, 2002.
- C. T. Campbell, S.-G. Sampathkumar, and K. J. Yarema, “Metabolic oligosaccharide engineering: perspectives, applications, and future directions,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 187–194, 2007.
- J. G. Velásquez, S. Canovas, P. Barajas et al., “Role of sialic acid in bovine sperm-zona pellucida binding,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 617–628, 2007.
- C. Jiménez-Castells, B. G. De La Torre, D. Andreu, and R. Gutiérrez-Gallego, “Neo-glycopeptides: the importance of sugar core conformation in oxime-linked glycoprobes for interaction studies,” Glycoconjugate Journal, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 879–887, 2008.
- N. Sharon and H. Lis, “History of lectins: from hemagglutinins to biological recognition molecules,” Glycobiology, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 53–62, 2004.
- N. Sharon, “Lectins: carbohydrate-specific reagents and biological recognition molecules,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 5, pp. 2753–2764, 2007.
- P. M. G. Paiva and L. C. B. B. Coelho, “Purification and partial characterization of two lectin isoforms from Cratylia mollis mart. (camaratu bean),” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 1992.
- M. T. S. Correia and L. C. B. B. Coelho, “Purification of a glucose/mannose specific lectin, isoform 1, from seeds of Cratylia mollis mart. (camaratu bean),” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 261–273, 1995.
- E. I. C. Beltrão, M. T. S. Correia, J. Figuerêdo-Silva, and L. C. B. B. Coelho, “Binding evaluation of isoform 1 from Cratylia mollis lectin to human mammary tissues,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 125–134, 1998.
- E. Morales, L. A. Polo, L. M. Pastor et al., “Characterization of corpora amylacea glycoconjugates in normal and hyperplastic glands of human prostate,” Journal of Molecular Histology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 235–242, 2005.
- C. G. Jakob, K. Lewinski, R. Kuciel, W. Ostrowski, and L. Lebioda, “Crystal structure of human prostatic acid phosphatase,” Prostate, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 211–218, 2000.
- C. Carson III and R. Rittmaster, “The role of dihydrotestosterone in benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Urology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 2–7, 2003.
- M. I. Arenas, E. Romo, I. de Gaspar et al., “A lectin histochemistry comparative study in human normal prostate, benign prostatic hyperplasia, and prostatic carcinoma,” Glycoconjugate Journal, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 375–382, 1999.
- G. A. de Souza, P. S. L. Oliveira, S. Trapani et al., “Amino acid sequence and tertiary structure of Cratylia mollis seed lectin,” Glycobiology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 961–972, 2003.
- T. Janssen, M. Petein, R. Van Velthoven et al., “Differential histochemical peanut agglutinin stain in benign and malignant human prostate tumors: relationship with prostatic specific antigen immunostain and nuclear DNA content,” Human Pathology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1341–1347, 1996.
- J. D. Christian, T. C. Lamm, J. F. Morrow, and D. G. Bostwick, “Corpora amylacea in adenocarcinoma of the prostate: incidence and histology within needle core biopsies,” Modern Pathology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 36–39, 2005.
- R. J. Cohen, J. W. Holland, S. L. Redmond, J. E. McNeal, and H. J. S. Dawkins, “Identification of the glycosaminoglycan keratan sulfate in the prostatic secretory cell,” Prostate, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 204–209, 2000.
- R. J. Cohen, J. E. McNeal, S. L. Redmond et al., “Luminal contents of benign and malignant prostatic glands: correspondence to altered secretory mechanisms,” Human Pathology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 94–100, 2000.
- R. Rosenfeld, H. Bangio, G. J. Gerwig et al., “A lectin array-based methodology for the analysis of protein glycosylation,” Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 415–426, 2007.
- S. Angeloni, J. L. Ridet, N. Kusy et al., “Glycoprofiling with micro-arrays of glycoconjugates and lectins,” Glycobiology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 2005.
- G. Końska, U. Wójtowicz, and A. Pituch-Noworolska, “Possible application of lectins in diagnostics and therapy. Part I. Diagnostic application,” Przegląd lekarski, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 189–194, 2008.