- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 193259, 10 pages
Expression of Nestin, Vimentin, and NCAM by Renal Interstitial Cells after Ischemic Tubular Injury
1Laboratory of Histology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, University of Mons, Avenue du Champ de Mars, 6 (Pentagone) 1B, 7000 Mons, Belgium
2Laboratory of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, University of Mons, 7000 Mons, Belgium
3Laboratory of General Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix, 5000 Namur, Belgium
Received 1 December 2009; Revised 12 March 2010; Accepted 13 April 2010
Academic Editor: Anton M. Jetten
Copyright © 2010 David Vansthertem et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Al-Awqati and J. A. Oliver, “Stem cells in the kidney,” Kidney International, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 387–395, 2002.
- B. D. Humphreys, J. D. Duffield, and J. V. Bonventre, “Renal stem cells in recovery from acute kidney injury,” Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 329–337, 2006.
- J. V. Bonventre, “Dedifferentiation and proliferation of surviving epithelial cells in acute renal failure,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. S55–S61, 2003.
- F. Lin, K. Cordes, L. Li, L. Hood, W. G. Couser, S. J. Shankland, and P. Igarashi, “Hematopoietic stem cells contribute to the regeneration of renal tubules after renal ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1188–1199, 2003.
- D. Krause and L. G. Cantley, “Bone marrow plasticity revisited: protection or differentiation in the kidney tubule?” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 1705–1708, 2005.
- L. Li, P. Truong, P. Igarashi, and F. Lin, “Renal and bone marrow cells fuse after renal ischemic injury,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 3067–3077, 2007.
- R. Poulsom, M. R. Alison, and M. R. Alison, “Bone marrow stem cells contribute to healing of the kidney,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, supplement 1, pp. S48–S54, 2003.
- D. Vansthertem, N. Caron, and N. Caron, “Label-retaining cells and tubular regeneration in postischaemic kidney,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 3786–3797, 2008.
- G. J. Becker and T. D. Hewitson, “The interstitium in renal disease,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 242, no. 2, pp. 93–97, 1997.
- B. Kaissling, I. Hegyi, J. Loffing, and M. Le Hir, “Morphology of interstitial cells in the healthy kidney,” Anatomy and Embryology, vol. 193, no. 4, pp. 303–318, 1996.
- G. Toubeau, D. Nonclercq, J. Zanen, G. Laurent, P. Schaudies, and J. A. Heuson-Stiennon, “Renal tissue expression of epidermal growth factor receptor after ischemic tubular injury: an immunohistochemical study,” Experimental Nephrology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 229–239, 1994.
- R. Witzgall, D. Brown, C. Schwarz, and J. V. Bonventre, “Localization of proliferating cell nuclear antigen, vimentin, c-Fos, and clusterin in the postischemic kidney. Evidence for a heterogenous genetic response among nephron segments, and a large pool of mitotically active and dedifferentiated cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 2175–2188, 1994.
- Y.-H. Chou, S. Khuon, H. Herrmann, and R. D. Goldman, “Nestin promotes the phosphorylation-dependent disassembly of vimentin intermediate filaments during mitosis,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1468–1478, 2003.
- C. Wiese, A. Rolletschek, and A. Rolletschek, “Nestin expression—a property of multi-lineage progenitor cells?” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 61, no. 19-20, pp. 2510–2522, 2004.
- J. Chen, S. Boyle, and S. Boyle, “Differential expression of the intermediate filament protein nestin during renal development and its localization in adult podocytes,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1283–1291, 2006.
- M. Abbate, D. Brown, and J. V. Bonventre, “Expression of NCAM recapitulates tubulogenic development in kidneys recovering from acute ischemia,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 277, no. 3, pp. F454–F463, 1999.
- R. P. Schaudies, D. Nonclercq, L. Nelson, G. Toubeau, J. Zanen, J.-A. Heuson-Stiennon, and G. Laurent, “Endogenous EGF as a potential renotrophic factor in ischemia-induced acute renal failure,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 265, no. 3, pp. F425–F434, 1993.
- D. Nonclercq, V. Liénard, J. Zanen, G. Laurent, and G. Toubeau, “Phenotypic variations and dynamic topography of transformed cells in an experimental model of diethylstilbestrol-induced renal tumour in male Syrian hamster,” Histochemical Journal, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 487–497, 2002.
- M. B. Herrera, B. Bussolati, and B. Bussolati, “Exogenous mesenchymal stem cells localize to the kidney by means of CD44 following acute tubular injury,” Kidney International, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 430–441, 2007.
- C. Daniel, H. Albrecht, A. Lüdke, and C. Hugo, “Nestin expression in repopulating mesangial cells promotes their proliferation,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 387–397, 2008.
- K. Michalczyk and M. Ziman, “Nestin structure and predicted function in cellular cytoskeletal organisation,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 665–671, 2005.
- C. Francavilla, S. Loeffler, D. Piccini, A. Kren, G. Christofori, and U. Cavallaro, “Neural cell adhesion molecule regulates the cellular response to fibroblast growth factor,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 120, no. 24, pp. 4388–4394, 2007.
- N. Turner and R. Grose, “Fibroblast growth factor signalling: from development to cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 116–129, 2010.
- F. Strutz and M. Zeisberg, “Renal fibroblasts and myofibroblasts in chronic kidney disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2992–2998, 2006.
- M. Brezis and S. Rosen, “Hypoxia of the renal medulla—its implications for disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 10, pp. 647–655, 1995.
- K.-U. Eckardt, C. Rosenberger, J. S. Jürgensen, and M. S. Wiesener, “Role of hypoxia in the pathogenesis of renal disease,” Blood Purification, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 253–257, 2003.
- T. Sakairi, K. Hiromura, and K. Hiromura, “Nestin expression in the kidney with an obstructed ureter,” Kidney International, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 307–318, 2007.
- J.-L. Bascands, J. Klein, and J. P. Schanstra, “A nest in renal fibrosis?” Kidney International, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 242–244, 2007.
- S. Villanueva, C. Céspedes, and C. P. Vio, “Ischemic acute renal failure induces the expression of a wide range of nephrogenic proteins,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 290, no. 4, pp. R861–R870, 2006.
- T. A. Wynn, “Cellular and molecular mechanisms of fibrosis,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 214, no. 2, pp. 199–210, 2008.
- M. Guarino, A. Tosoni, and M. Nebuloni, “Direct contribution of epithelium to organ fibrosis: epithelial-mesenchymal transition,” Human Pathology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1365–1376, 2009.
- V. Paunescu, F. M. Bojin, C. A. Tatu, et al., “Tumor-associated fibroblasts 4 and mesenchymal stem cells: more similarities than differences,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. In press.
- G. Stokman, J. C. Leemans, and J. C. Leemans, “Enhanced mobilization of bone marrow cells does not ameliorate renal fibrosis,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 483–491, 2008.