- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 202397, 12 pages
Activation-Induced T Helper Cell Death Contributes to Th1/Th2 Polarization following Murine Schistosoma japonicum Infection
1Department of Pathogen Biology and Immunology, Department of Pharmacology, Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Pathogen Biology, Nanjing Medical University, 140 Hanzhong Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, China
2Department of Clinical Laboratories, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, China
Received 29 July 2009; Accepted 15 October 2009
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2010 Xinyu Xu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Infante-Duarte, “Th1/Th2 balance in infection,” Springer Seminars in Immunopathology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 317–338, 1999.
- R. M. Anthony, L. I. Rutitzky, J. F. Urban, M. J. Stadecker, and W. C. Gause, “Protective immune mechanisms in helminth infection,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 975–987, 2007.
- A. S. MacDonald, M. I. Araujo, and E. J. Pearce, “Immunology of parasitic helminth infections,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 427–433, 2002.
- P. R. Rogers and M. Croft, “Peptide dose, affinity, and time of differentiation can contribute to the Th1/Th2 cytokine balance,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 1205–1213, 1999.
- M. Y. Balkhi, V. K. Latchumanan, B. Singh, P. Sharma, and K. Natarajan, “Cross-regulation of CD86 by CD80 differentially regulates T helper responses from Mycobacterium tuberculosis secretory antigen-activated dendritic cell subsets,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 874–883, 2004.
- I. Gutcher and B. Becher, “APC-derived cytokines and T cell polarization in autoimmune inflammation,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1119–1127, 2007.
- C. Wiethe, A. Debus, M. Mohrs, A. Steinkasserer, M. Lutz, and A. Gessner, “Dendritic cell differentiation state and their interaction with NKT cells determine Th1/Th2 differentiation in the murine model of Leishmania major infection,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 180, no. 7, pp. 4371–4381, 2008.
- J. Zhu and W. E. Paul, “CD4 T cells: fates, functions, and faults,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1557–1569, 2008.
- S. Baumann, A. Krueger, S. Kirchhoff, and P. H. Krammer, “Regulation of T cell apoptosis during the immune response,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 257–272, 2002.
- P. H. Krammer, R. Arnold, and I. N. Lavrik, “Life and death in peripheral T cells,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 532–542, 2007.
- T. A. Wynn, R. W. Thompson, A. W. Cheever, and M. M. Mentink-Kane, “Immunopathogenesis of schistosomiasis,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 201, pp. 156–167, 2004.
- G. N. Gobert, M. Chai, and D. P. McManus, “Biology of the schistosome lung-stage schistosomulum,” Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 453–460, 2007.
- E. J. Pearce and A. S. MacDonald, “The immunobiology of schistosomiasis,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 499–511, 2002.
- E. J. Pearce, “Priming of the immune response by schistosome eggs,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 27, no. 7-8, pp. 265–270, 2005.
- S. K. Lundy, S. P. Lerman, and D. L. Boros, “Soluble egg antigen-stimulated T helper lymphocyte apoptosis and evidence for cell death mediated by Fas T and B cells during murine Schistosoma mansoni infection,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 271–280, 2001.
- S. K. Lundy and D. L. Boros, “Fas ligand-expressing B-1a lymphocytes mediate -T-cell apoptosis during schistosomal infection: induction by interleukin 4 (IL-4) and IL-10,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 812–819, 2002.
- P. G. Fallon, P. Smith, and D. W. Dunne, “Type 1 and type 2 cytokine-producing mouse and T cells in acute Schistosoma mansoni infection,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1408–1416, 1998.
- Y. Chen and D. L. Boros, “Identification of the immunodominant T cell epitope of p38, a major egg antigen, and characterization of the epitope-specific th responsiveness during murine schistosomiasis mansoni,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 160, no. 11, pp. 5420–5427, 1998.
- I. R. Caldas, A. C. Campi-Azevedo, L. F. A. Oliveira, A. M. S. Silveira, R. C. Oliveira, and G. Gazzinelli, “Human schistosomiasis mansoni: immune responses during acute and chronic phases of the infection,” Acta Tropica, vol. 108, no. 2-3, pp. 109–117, 2008.
- M. S. Wilson, M. M. Mentink-Kane, J. T. Pesce, T. R. Ramalingam, R. Thompson, and T. A. Wynn, “Immunopathology of schistosomiasis,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 148–154, 2007.
- A. S. Varadhachary, S. N. Perdow, C. Hu, M. Ramanarayanan, and P. Salgame, “Differential ability of T cell subsets to undergo activation-induced cell death,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 5778–5783, 1997.
- X. R. Zhang, L. Y. Zhang, S. Devadas, L. Li, A. D. Keegan, and Y. F. Shi, “Reciprocal expression of TRAIL and CD95L in Th1 and Th2 cells: role of apoptosis in T helper subset differentiation,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 203–210, 2003.
- L. Zheng and M. Lenardo, “T helper 2 cells' preferred way to die,” Immunity, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 187–188, 2006.
- X. Zhang, T. Brunner, L. Carter, et al., “Unequal death in T helper cell (Th)1 and Th2 effectors: Th1, but not Th2, effectors undergo rapid Fas/FasL-mediated apoptosis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 185, no. 10, pp. 1837–1849, 1997.
- S. Devadas, J. Das, C. Liu, et al., “Granzyme B is critical for T cell receptor-induced cell death of type 2 helper T cells,” Immunity, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 237–247, 2006.
- A. S. Kashyap, K. P. Anand, and S. Kashyap, “Artesunate for malaria,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 3, pp. 314–315, 2008.
- P. J. Rosenthal, “Artesunate for the treatment of severe falciparum malaria,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 17, pp. 1829–1836, 2008.
- L. Shaohong, T. Kumagai, A. Qinghua, et al., “Evaluation of the anthelmintic effects of artesunate against experimental Schistosoma mansoni infection in mice using different treatment protocols,” Parasitology International, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2006.
- W. Jiraungkoorskul, S. Sahaphong, P. Sobhon, S. Riengrojpitak, and N. Kangwanrangsan, “Schistosoma mekongi: the in vitro effect of praziquantel and artesunate on the adult fluke,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 16–23, 2006.
- W. Ru, Y. Li, J. Dai, et al., “Studies on effect of artesunate against Schistosoma japonicum—I: susceptibility of different developed stages of worms in mice to artesunate,” Chinese Journal of Schistosomiasis Control, vol. 18, pp. 161–164, 2006.
- A. Krueger, S. C. Fas, S. Baumann, and P. H. Krammer, “The role of CD95 in the regulation of peripheral T-cell apoptosis,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 193, pp. 58–69, 2003.
- J. Lieberman, “The ABCs of granule-mediated cytotoxicity: new weapons in the arsenal,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 361–370, 2003.
- D. A. Thomas, C. Du, M. Xu, X. Wang, and T. J. Ley, “DFF45/ICAD can be directly processed by granzyme B during the induction of apoptosis,” Immunity, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 621–632, 2000.
- J. A. Trapani, D. A. Jans, P. J. Jans, M. J. Smyth, K. A. Browne, and V. R. Sutton, “Efficient nuclear targeting of granzyme B and the nuclear consequences of apoptosis induced by granzyme B and perforin are caspase-dependent, but cell death is caspase-independent,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 43, pp. 27934–27938, 1998.