- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 219793, 8 pages
Trypsin Isoinhibitors with Antiproliferative Activity toward Leukemia Cells from Phaseolus vulgaris cv “White Cloud Bean”
1State Key Laboratory for Agrobiotechnology and Department of Microbiology, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, China
2School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Received 2 December 2009; Accepted 21 April 2010
Academic Editor: Thomas Liehr
Copyright © 2010 Jian Sun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. S. Tanaka, M. U. Sampaio, and M. U. Sampaio, “Purification and primary structure determination of a Bowman-Birk trypsin inhibitor from Torresea cearensis seeds,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 378, no. 3-4, pp. 273–281, 1997.
- T. Minuth, B. Krämer, K. Lehle, R. Jaenicke, and U. Kohnert, “The spectroscopic analysis, inhibition and binding studies demonstrate the equivalence of Erythrina caffra trypsin inhibitor and the recombinant substitution variant recSerETI,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 231–239, 1998.
- V. R. Devaraj and N. H. Manjunatha, “Purification and characterization of a proteinase inhibitor from field bean, Dolichos lablab perpureus L,” Journal of Protein Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 1999.
- L. A. Pando, L. Di Ciero, J. C. Novello, B. Oliveira, J. K. P. Weder, and S. Marangoni, “Isolation and characterization of a new trypsin inhibitor from Crotalaria paulina seeds,” IUBMB Life, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 519–523, 1999.
- F. Ceciliani, A. Tava, R. Iori, M. Mortarino, M. Odoardi, and S. Ronchi, “A trypsin inhibitor from snail medic seeds active against pest proteases,” Phytochemistry, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 393–398, 1997.
- A. Lanza, A. Tava, M. Catalano, L. Ragona, I. Singuaroli, F. S. Robustelli Della Cuna, and G. Robustelli Della Cuna, “Effects of the Medicago scutellata trypsin inhibitor (MsTI) on cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity in human breast and cervical cancer cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 227–233, 2004.
- S.-S. Park, T. Sumi, H. Ohba, O. Nakamura, and M. Kimura, “Complete amino acid sequences of three proteinase inhibitors from white sword bean (Canavalia gladiata),” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 2272–2275, 2000.
- L. Jouvensal, L. Quillien, E. Ferrasson, Y. Rahbé, J. Guéguen, and F. Vovelle, “PA1b, an insecticidal protein extracted from pea seeds (Pisum sativum): 1H-2-D NMR study and molecular modeling,” Biochemistry, vol. 42, no. 41, pp. 11915–11923, 2003.
- G. C. Mello, M. L. V. Oliva, J. T. Sumikawa, O. L. T. Machado, S. Marangoni, J. C. Novello, and M. L. R. Macedo, “Purification and characterization of a new trypsin inhibitor from Dimorphandra mollis seeds,” Journal of Protein Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 625–632, 2001.
- M. D. S. M. Cavalcanti, M. L. V. Oliva, and M. L. V. Oliva, “Characterization of a Kunitz trypsin inhibitor with one disulfide bridge purified from Swartzia pickellii,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 291, no. 3, pp. 635–639, 2002.
- J. K. Dattagupta, A. Podder, C. Chakrabarti, U. Sen, S. K. Dutta, and M. Singh, “Structure of a Kunitz-type chymotrypsin inhibitor from winged bean seeds at 2.95 Å resolution,” Acta Crystallographica Section D, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 521–528, 1996.
- S. C. Pando, M. L. V. Oliva, C. A. M. Sampaio, L. Di Ciero, J. C. Novello, and S. Marangoni, “Primary sequence determination of a Kunitz inhibitor isolated from Delonix regia seeds,” Phytochemistry, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 625–631, 2001.
- V. A. Garcia, M. D. G. M. Freire, J. C. Novello, S. Marangoni, and M. L. R. Macedo, “Trypsin inhibitor from Poecilanthe parviflora seeds: purification, characterization, and activity against pest proteases,” Protein Journal, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 343–350, 2004.
- M. L. R. Macedo, C. M. De Sá, M. D. G. M. Freire, and J. R. P. Parra, “A Kunitz-type inhibitor of coleopteran proteases, isolated from adenanthera pavonina L. seeds and its effect on Callosobruchus maculatus,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 2533–2540, 2004.
- S. K. Haq and R. H. Khan, “Characterization of a Proteinase Inhibitor from Cajanus cajan (L.),” Journal of Protein Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 543–554, 2003.
- P. Kumar, Y. N. Sreerama, and L. R. Gowda, “Formation of Bowman-Birk inhibitors during the germination of horsegram (Dolichos biflorus),” Phytochemistry, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 581–588, 2002.
- J. E. Campos, J. R. Whitaker, T.-T. Yip, T. W. Hutchens, and A. Blanco-Labra, “Unusual structural characteristics and complete amino acid sequence of a protease inhibitor from Phaseolus acutifolius seeds,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 209–214, 2004.
- H. W. Dodo, O. M. Viquez, S. J. Maleki, and K. N. Konan, “cDNA clone of a putative peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) trypsin inhibitor has homology with peanut allergens Ara h 3 and Ara h 4,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1404–1409, 2004.
- R. Sattar, S. A. Ali, M. Kamal, A. A. Khan, and A. Abbasi, “Molecular mechanism of enzyme inhibition: prediction of the three-dimensional structure of the dimeric trypsin inhibitor from Leucaena leucocephala by homology modelling,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 314, no. 3, pp. 755–765, 2004.
- M. L. V. Oliva, C. R. Mendes, and C. R. Mendes, “Characterization of a tissue kallikrein inhibitor isolated from Bauhinia bauhinioides seeds: inhibition of the hydrolysis of kininogen related substrates,” Immunopharmacology, vol. 45, no. 1–3, pp. 163–169, 1999.
- L. Di Ciero, M. L. V. Oliva, and M. L. V. Oliva, “The complete amino acid sequence of a trypsin inhibitor from Bauhinia variegata var. candida seeds,” Journal of Protein Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 827–834, 1998.
- M. L. V. Oliva, S. Andrade, and S. Andrade, “Human plasma kallikrein and tissue kallikrein binding to a substrate based on the reactive site of a factor Xa inhibitor isolated from Bauhinia ungulata seeds,” Immunopharmacology, vol. 45, no. 1–3, pp. 145–149, 1999.
- K. N. Rao, S. S. Hegde, R. J. Lewis, and C. G. Suresh, “Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction studies of a Bowman-Birk inhibitor from Vigna unguiculata seeds,” Acta Crystallographica Section D, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1920–1922, 1999.
- J. K. P. Weder and S. C. Hinkers, “Complete amino acid sequence of the lentil trypsin-chymotrypsin inhibitor LCI-1.7 and a discussion of atypical binding sites of Bowman-Birk inhibitors,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 13, pp. 4219–4226, 2004.
- H. Koiwa, R. E. Shade, and R. E. Shade, “Phage display selection can differentiate insecticidal activity of soybean cystatins,” Plant Journal, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 371–379, 1998.
- M. F. Troncoso, P. C. Zolezzi, U. Hellman, and C. Wolfenstein-Todel, “A novel trypsin inhibitor from Peltophorum dubium seeds, with lectin-like properties, triggers rat lymphoma cell apoptosis,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 411, no. 1, pp. 93–104, 2003.
- F. Delgado-Vargas, H. E. López-Valdés, S. Valdés-Rodríguez, A. Blanco-Labra, A. Chagolla-López, and E. D. J. López-Valenzuela, “Isolation and properties of a Kunitz-type protein inhibitor obtained from Pithecellobium dulce seeds,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 20, pp. 6115–6121, 2004.
- M. Deshimaru, R. Hanamoto, C. Kusano, S. Yoshimi, and S. Terada, “Purification and characterization of proteinase inhibitors from wild soja (Glycine soja) seeds,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1897–1903, 2002.
- C. A. McPhalen and M. N. G. James, “Crystal and molecular structure of the serine proteinase inhibitor CI-2 from barley seeds,” Biochemistry, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 261–269, 1987.
- I. R. Gerhardt, N. S. Paes, C. Bloch Jr., P. A. M. Mendes, A. Leite, M. J. Chrispeels, and M. F. Grossi De Sa, “Molecular characterization of a new arcelin-5 gene,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Gene Structure and Expression, vol. 1490, no. 1-2, pp. 87–98, 2000.
- J.-J. Chen, G.-H. Chen, H.-C. Hsu, S.-S. Li, and C.-S. Chen, “Cloning and functional expression of a mungbean defensin VrD1 in Pichia pastoris,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 2256–2261, 2004.
- S. K. Haq, S. M. Atif, and R. H. Khan, “Protein proteinase inhibitor genes in combat against insects, pests, and pathogens: natural and engineered phytoprotection,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 431, no. 1, pp. 145–159, 2004.
- H. A. Bell, E. C. Fitches, and E. C. Fitches, “Effect of dietary cowpea trypsin inhibitor (CpTI) on the growth and development of the tomato moth Lacanobia oleracea (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and on the success of the gregarious ectoparasitoid Eulophus pennicornis (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae),” Pest Management Science, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 2001.
- X. Foissac, M. G. Edwards, J. P. Du, A. M. R. Gatehouse, and J. A. Gatehouse, “Putative protein digestion in a sap-sucking homopteran plant pest (rice brown plant hopper; Nilaparvata lugens: Delphacidae)—identification of trypsin-like and cathepsin B-like proteases,” Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 967–978, 2002.
- A. P. Giri, A. M. Harsulkar, M. S. B. Ku, V. S. Gupta, V. V. Deshpande, P. K. Ranjekar, and V. R. Franceschi, “Identification of potent inhibitors of Helicoverpa armigera gut proteinases from winged bean seeds,” Phytochemistry, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 523–532, 2003.
- I. E. Goetz, C. Weinstein, and E. Roberts, “Effects of protease inhibitors on growth of hamster tumor cells in culture,” Cancer Research, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 2469–2474, 1972.
- E. von Hofe, P. M. Newberne, and A. R. Kennedy, “Inhibition of N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine-induced esophageal neoplasms by the Bowman-Birk protease inhibitor,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 2147–2150, 1991.
- A. R. Kennedy, P. C. Billings, P. A. Maki, and P. Newberne, “Effects of various preparations of dietary protease inhibitors on oral carcinogenesis in hamsters induced by DMBA,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 191–200, 1993.
- A. P. Banerji and A. O. Fernandes, “Field bean protease inhibitor preparations, unlike methotrexate, can completely suppress Yoshida sarcoma tumor in rats,” Cell Biology International, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1025–1034, 1994.
- A. O. Fernandes and A. P. Banerji, “Inhibition of benzopyrene-induced forestomach tumors by field bean protease inhibitor(s),” Carcinogenesis, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1843–1846, 1995.
- Y. Birk, “Protein proteinase inhibitors in legume seeds–overview,” Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutrición, vol. 44, no. 4, supplement 1, pp. 26S–30S, 1996.
- A. O. Fernandes and A. P. Banerji, “Erratum: the field bean protease inhibitor can effectively suppress 72-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced skin tumorigenesis in mice,” Cancer Letters, vol. 106, no. 1, p. 145, 1996.
- A. Banerji, A. Fernandes, S. Bane, and S. Ahire, “The field bean protease inhibitor has the potential to suppress B16F10 melanoma cell lung metastasis in mice,” Cancer Letters, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 1998.
- A. M. Sammon, “Protease inhibitors and carcinoma of the esophagus,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 405–408, 1998.
- H. Kobayashi, M. Suzuki, N. Kanayama, and T. Terao, “A soybean Kunitz trypsin inhibitor suppresses ovarian cancer cell invasion by blocking urokinase upregulation,” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 159–166, 2004.
- U. K. Laemmli and M. Favre, “Maturation of the head of bacteriophage T4. I. DNA packaging events,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 575–599, 1973.
- M. Azarkan, R. Dibiani, E. Goormaghtigh, V. Raussens, and D. Baeyens-Volant, “The papaya Kunitz-type trypsin inhibitor is a highly stable β-sheet glycoprotein,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1764, no. 6, pp. 1063–1072, 2006.
- X. Y. Ye, T. B. Ng, and P. F. Rao, “A bowman-birk-type trypsin-chymotrypsin inhibitor from broad beans,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. 91–96, 2001.
- J. H. Wong and T. B. Ng, “Gymnin, a potent defensin-like antifungal peptide from the Yunnan bean (Gymnocladus chinensis Baill),” Peptides, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 963–968, 2003.
- H. Wang and T. B. Ng, “Pleureryn, a novel protease from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Pleurotus eryngii,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 289, no. 3, pp. 750–755, 2001.
- H. Wang and T. B. Ng, “Isolation and characterization of velutin, a novel low-molecular-weight ribosome-inactivating protein from winter mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) fruiting bodies,” Life Sciences, vol. 68, no. 18, pp. 2151–2158, 2001.
- E. H. W. Leung, J. H. Wong, and T. B. Ng, “Concurrent purification of two defense proteins from French bean seeds: a defensin-like antifungal peptide and a hemagglutinin,” Journal of Peptide Science, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 349–353, 2008.
- H. X. Wang and T. B. Ng, “Isolation of cucurmoschin, a novel antifungal peptide abundant in arginine, glutamate and glycine residues from black pumpkin seeds,” Peptides, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 969–972, 2003.
- A. Banerji, A. Fernandes, and S. Bane, “Treatment with field bean protease inhibitor can effectively repress ethylnitrosourea (ENU)-induced neoplasms of the nervous system in Sprague-Dawley rats,” Cancer Letters, vol. 130, no. 1-2, pp. 161–167, 1998.
- M. Puri, I. Kaur, R. K. Kanwar, R. C. Gupta, A. Chauhan, and J. R. Kanwar, “Ribosome inactivating proteins (RIPs) from Momordica charantia for anti viral therapy,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1080–1094, 2009.
- X. Y. Ye and T. B. Ng, “A new peptidic protease inhibitor from Vicia faba seeds exhibits antifungal, HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibiting and mitogenic activities,” Journal of Peptide Science, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 656–662, 2002.
- A. H. K. Cheung and T. B. Ng, “Isolation and characterization of a trypsin-chymotrypsin inhibitor from the seeds of green lentil (Lens culinaris),” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 859–864, 2007.
- A. H. K. Cheung, J. H. Wong, and T. B. Ng, “Trypsin-chymotrypsin inhibitors from Vigna mungo seeds,” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 277–284, 2009.
- R. C. H. Wong, W. P. Fong, and T. B. Ng, “Multiple trypsin inhibitors from Momordica cochinchinensis seeds, the Chinese drug mubiezhi,” Peptides, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 163–169, 2004.
- Y. Birk, “Trypsin isoinhibitors from garden beans (Phaseolus vulgaris),” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 45, pp. 710–716, 1976.
- M. Miyoshi, Y. Hamaguchi, K. Matsumoto, and I. Mizuno, “The isolation and characterization of a trypsin inhibitor from Kintoki bean (Phaseolus vulgaris),” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 195–204, 1978.
- H. Gerstenberg, H.-D. Belitz, and J. K. P. Weder, “Isolation and characterization of some proteinase inhibitors from Phaseolus vulgaris var. nanus,” Zeitschrift für Lebensmittel Untersuchung und Forschung, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 1980.
- P. G. B. De Carvalho, C. Bloch Jr., L. Morhy, M. C. M. Da Silva, L. V. De Mello, and G. Neshich, “Amino acid sequence of the Phaseolus vulgaris var. “Fogo na Serra” inhibitor and interactive surface modeling for the enzyme-inhibitor complex,” Journal of Protein Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 591–598, 1996.
- K. Kasahara, K. Hayashi, T. Arakawa, J. S. Philo, J. Wen, S. Hara, and H. Yamaguchi, “Complete sequence, subunit structure, and complexes with pancreatic α-amylase of an α-amylase inhibitor from Phaseolus vulgaris white kidney beans,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 177–183, 1996.
- A. K. M. A. Sattar, N. Yamamoto, T. Yoshimoto, and D. Tsuru, “Purification and characterization of an extracellular prolyl endopeptidase from Agaricus bisporus,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 256–261, 1990.