- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 231832, 7 pages
Glucagon Effects on Ischemic Vasodilatation in the Isolated Rat Heart
1Department of Physiology, Medical Faculty, University of Kragujevac, Svetozara Markovica 69, 34000 Kragujevac, Serbia
2Research Center of Serbian Academy of Arts and Sciences and the University of Kragujevac, 34000 Kragujevac, Serbia
Received 30 July 2009; Revised 30 October 2009; Accepted 19 January 2010
Academic Editor: Abdel A. Abdel-Rahman
Copyright © 2010 Mirko Rosic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. S. Tsao, N. Aoki, D. J. Lefer, G. Johnson III, and A. Lefer, “Time course of endothelial dysfunction and myocardial injury during myocardial ischemia and reperfusion in the cat,” Circulation, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 1402–1412, 1990.
- G. M. Rubanyi, E. H. Ho, E. H. Cantor, W. C. Lumma, and L. H. Parker-Botelho, “Cytoprotective function of nitric oxide: inactivation of superoxide radicals produced by human leukocytes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 1392–1397, 1991.
- X. S. Li, Y. Uriuda, Q. D. Wang, R. Nordlander, P. O. Sjoquist, and J. Pernow, “Role of L-arginine in preventing myocardial and endothelial injury following ischaemia/reperfusion in the rat isolated heart,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 1996.
- E. Masini, S. Bianchi, L. Mugnai, et al., “The effect of nitric oxide generators on ischemia reperfusion injury and histamine release in isolated perfused guinea-pig heart,” Agents and Actions, vol. 33, no. 1-2, pp. 53–56, 1991.
- E. Masini, M. G. Di Bello, A. Pistelli, et al., “Generation of nitric oxide from nitrovasodilators modulates the release of histamine from mast cells,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 41–53, 1994.
- M. Singh and H. K. Saini, “Resident cardiac mast cells and ischemia—reperfusion injury,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 135–148, 2003.
- A. V. Gourine, A. T. Gonon, and J. Pernow, “Involvement of nitric oxide in cardioprotective effect of endothelin receptor antagonist during ischemia-reperfusion,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 280, no. 3, pp. H1105–H1112, 2001.
- S. Bertuglia and A. Giusti, “Microvascular oxygenation, oxidative stress, NO suppression and superoxide dismutase during postischemic reperfusion,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 285, no. 3, pp. H1064–H1071, 2003.
- B. I. Jugdutt, “Nitric oxide and cardioprotection during ischemia-reperfusion,” Heart Failure Reviews, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 391–405, 2002.
- P. Vinay and M. Singh, “Possible role of nitric oxide and mast cells in endotoxin-induced cardioprotection,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2001.
- M. Kostic and M. Petronijevic, “Interplay of nitric oxide and histamine in the regulation of coronary reactive hyperemia and coronary autoregulation,” Agents and Actions, vol. 45, no. 1, supplement, pp. 145–149, 1995.
- M. Rosic, S. Pantovic, V. Rankovic, Z. Obradovic, N. Filipovic, and M. Kojic, “Evaluation of dynamic response and biomechanical properties of isolated blood vessels,” Journal of biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 966–972, 2008.
- H. Asanuma, T. Minamino, A. Ogai, et al., “Blokade of histamine receptors protects the heart against ischemia and reperfusion injury in dogs,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 666–674, 2006.
- A. A. Wolff and R. Levi, “Histamine and cardiac arrhythmias,” Circulation Research, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 1986.
- M. A. Beaven, “Our perception of the mast cell from Paul Ehrlich to now,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 11–25, 2009.
- G. R. Hageman, F. Urthaler, J. H. Isobe, and T. N. James, “Chronotropic and dromotropic effects of histamine on the canine heart,” Chest, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 597–604, 1979.
- L. B. Hough, “Genomics meets histamine receptors: new subtypes, new receptors,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 415–419, 2001.
- J. Kim, A. Ogai, S. Nakatani, et al., “Impact of blockade of histamine receptors on chronic heart failure revealed by retrospective and prospective randomized studies,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1378–1384, 2006.
- G. Francis and W. Tang, “Histamine, mast cells and heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1385–1386, 2006.
- R. Levi and J. O. Kuye, “Pharmacological characterization of cardiac histamine receptors: sensitivity to receptor antagonists,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 330–338, 1974.
- E. Hatta, K. Yasuda, and R. Levi, “Activation of histamine receptors inhibits carrier-mediated norepinephrine release in a human mode of protracted myocardial ischemia,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. 494–500, 1997.
- J. Van der Voorde, V. Brochez, and B. Vanheel, “Heterogeneous effects of histamine on isolated rat coronary arteries,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 271, no. 1, pp. 17–23, 1994.
- C. Gonzales-Munoz, S. Nieto-Ceron, J. Cabezas-Herrera, and J. Hernandez-Cascales , “Glucagon increases contractility in ventricle but not in atrium of the rat heart,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 587, no. 1–3, pp. 243–247, 2008.
- Y. C. Kaplan, N. Hocaoglu, K. Oransay, S. Kalkan, and Y. Tuncok, “Effect of glucagon on amitriptyline-induced cardiovascular toxicity in rats,” Human & Experimental Toxicology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 321–325, 2008.
- M. Rosic, I. Andjelkovic, and B. Zlokovic, “Characterization of histamine transport at sarcolemal membrane of the isolated perfused guinea-pig heart in the presence of glucagon and and receptor antagonists,” Biomedical and Biochemical Acta, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 736–740, 1987.
- M. Rosic, I. Andjelkovic, B. Zlokovic, et al., “Effects of glucagon and and receptor antagonists on histamine transport at sarcolemmal membrane of the isolated perfused guinea pig heart,” Yugoslav Physiological and Pharmacological Acta, vol. 24, supplement, p. 391, 1988.
- I. Andjelkovic and B. Zlokovic, “Protective effects of glucagon during the anaphylactic response in guinea-pig isolated heart,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 483–489, 1982.
- C. Prinz, R. Zanner, M. Gerhard, et al., “The mechanism of histamine secretion from gastric enterochromaffin-like cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 277, no. 5, pp. C845–C855, 1999.
- P. A. Shore, A. Burkhalter, and V. H. Cohn JR., “A method for the fluorometric assay of histamine in tissues,” The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 127, pp. 182–186, 1959.
- L. C. Green, D. A. Wagner, J. Glogowski, P. L. Skipper, J. S. Wishnok, and S. R. Tannenbaum, “Analysis of nitrate, nitrite, and  nitrate in biological fluids,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 131–138, 1982.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- W. Droge, “Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 47–95, 2002.
- H. Farghali, J. Hodis, N. Kutinova-Canova, P. Potmesil, E. Kmonickova, and Z. Zidek, “Glucose release as a response to glucagon in rat hepatocyte culture: involvement of NO signaling,” Physiological Research, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 569–575, 2008.
- M. M. Kostic and J. Schrader, “Role of nitric oxide in reactive hyperemia of the guinea pig heart,” Circulation Research, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 208–212, 1992.
- R. Schulz, M. Kelm, and G. Heusch, “Nitric oxide in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 402–413, 2004.
- M. Kostic and V. Jakovljevic, “Role of histamine in the regulation of coronary circulation,” Physiological Research, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 297–303, 1996.