- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 262609, 14 pages
Similarity and Diversity in Macrophage Activation by Nematodes, Trematodes, and Cestodes
Institute of Immunology & Infection Research, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Received 15 September 2009; Accepted 7 October 2009
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2010 Stephen J. Jenkins and Judith E. Allen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- J. R. Grainger, K. A. Smith, J. P. Hewitson, H. J. McSorley, Y. Harcus, K. J. Filbey, C. A. M. Finney, E. J. D. Greenwood, D. P. Knox, M. S. Wilson, Y. Belkaid, A. Y. Rudensky, and R. M. Maizels, “Helminth secretions induce de novo T cell Foxp3 expression and regulatory function through the TGF- pathway,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 207, no. 11, pp. 2331–2341, 2010.
- José L. Reyes, César A. Terrazas, Javier Alonso-Trujillo, Nico van Rooijen, Abhay R. Satoskar, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Early removal of alternatively activated macrophages leads to Taenia crassiceps cysticercosis clearance in vivo,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 731–742, 2010.
- Siamon Gordon, and Fernando O. Martinez, “Alternative Activation of Macrophages: Mechanism and Functions,” Immunity, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 593–604, 2010.
- Ida M. Friberg, Janette E. Bradley, and Joseph A. Jackson, “Macroparasites, innate immunity and immunoregulation: developing natural models,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 540–549, 2010.
- C. D. Bourke, R. M. Maizels, and F. Mutapi, “Acquired immune heterogeneity and its sources in human helminth infection,” Parasitology, vol. 138, no. 02, pp. 139–159, 2010.
- Cinzia Cantacessi, Neil D. Young, Peter Nejsum, Aaron R. Jex, Bronwyn E. Campbell, Ross S. Hall, Stig M. Thamsborg, Jean-Pierre Scheerlinck, and Robin B. Gasser, “The Transcriptome of Trichuris suis - First Molecular Insights into a Paras ite with Curative Properties for Key Immune Diseases of Humans,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 8, 2011.
- Uma Mahesh Gundra, Bibhuti B. Mishra, Kondi Wong, and Judy M. Teale, “Increased Disease Severity of Parasite-Infected TLR2(-/-) Mice Is Correlate d with Decreased Central Nervous System Inflammation and Reduced Numbers of Cells with Alternatively Activated Macrophage Phenotypes in a Murine Model of Neurocysticercosis,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 2586–2596, 2011.
- Judith E. Allen, and Rick M. Maizels, “Diversity and dialogue in immunity to helminths,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 375–388, 2011.
- Rick M. Maizels, and Judith E. Allen, “Eosinophils Forestall Obesity,” Science, vol. 332, no. 6026, pp. 186–187, 2011.
- Wiebke Hartmann, Benjamin J. Marsland, Benjamin Otto, Jens Urny, Bernhard Fleischer, and Simone Korten, “A Novel and Divergent Role of Granzyme A and B in Resistance to Helminth In fection,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 186, no. 4, pp. 2472–2481, 2011.
- Katrien Pletinckx, Benoit Stijlemans, Vladimir Pavlovic, Regina Laube, Carolin Brandl, Susanne Kneitz, Alain Beschin, Patrick De Baetselier, and Manfred B. Lutz, “Similar inflammatory DC maturation signatures induced by TNF or Trypanosoma brucei antigens instruct default Th2-cell responses,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 3479–3494, 2011.
- Marc P. Hübner, David Larson, Marina N. Torrero, Ellen Mueller, Yinghui Shi, Kristin E. Killoran, and Edward Mitre, “Anti-FcεR1 antibody injections activate basophils and mast cells and delay Type 1 diabetes onset in NOD mice,” Clinical Immunology, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 205–217, 2011.
- G. Mourglia-Ettlin, M. C. Amezcua-Vesely, R. Fraga, A. Baz, M. C. Merino, A. Gruppi, and S. Dematteis, “Echinococcus granulosus glycoconjugates induce peritoneal B cell differentiation into antibody-secreting cells and cytokine production,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 621–631, 2011.
- Jose L. Reyes, Arlett F. Espinoza-Jimenez, Marisol I. Gonzalez, Leticia Verdin, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Taenia crassiceps infection abrogates experimental autoimmune encephalomyel itis,” Cellular Immunology, vol. 267, no. 2, pp. 77–87, 2011.
- HongLin Luo, Weiyi Huang, Dongying Wang, Haoju Wang, and Kui Nie, “The absence of MyD88 has no effect on the induction of alternatively activated macrophage during Fasciola hepatica infection,” BMC Immunology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 63, 2011.
- Astrid Schmieder, Kai Schledzewski, Julia Michel, Kathrin Schönhaar, Yannick Morias, Tom Bosschaerts, Jan Van den Bossche, Pierre Dorny, Andrea Sauer, Carsten Sticht, Cyrill Géraud, Zoe Waibler, Alain Beschin, and Sergij Goerdt, “The CD20 homolog Ms4a8a integrates pro- and anti-inflammatory signals in novel M2-like macrophages and is expressed in parasite infection,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 2971–2982, 2012.
- Makepeacel, Martin, Turner, and Specht, “Granulocytes in helminth infection-Who is calling the shots?,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1567–1586, 2012.
- Yan Christian Stephen Mountfort Laurenson, Ilias Kyriazakis, Andrew Barnet Forbes, and Stephen Christopher Bishop, “Exploration of the epidemiological consequences of resistance to gastro-intestinal parasitism and grazing management of sheep through a mathematical model,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 189, no. 2-4, pp. 238–249, 2012.
- Xue Bai, Xiuping Wu, Xuelin Wang, Zhenhong Guan, Fei Gao, Jianli Yu, Lu Yu, Bin Tang, Xiaolei Liu, Yanxia Song, Xinrui Wang, Blaga Radu, Pascal Boireau, Feng Wang, and Mingyuan Liu, “Regulation of cytokine expression in murine macrophages stimulated by excre tory/secretory products from Trichinella spiralis in vitro,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 360, no. 1-2, pp. 79–88, 2012.
- Marc P. Hübner, Laura E. Layland, and Achim Hoerauf, “Helminths and their implication in sepsis - a new branch of their immunomodulatory behaviour,” Pathogens and Disease, 2013.
- Yan C.S.M. Laurenson, Ilias Kyriazakis, and Stephen C. Bishop, “Can we use genetic and genomic approaches to identify candidate animals for targeted selective treatment,” Veterinary Parasitology, 2013.
- Laura J. Appleby, Norman Nausch, Nicholas Midzi, Takafira Mduluza, Judith E. Allen, and Francisca Mutapi, “Sources of heterogeneity in human monocyte subsets,” Immunology Letters, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 32–41, 2013.
- Francisca Mutapi, Peter F. Billingsley, and W. Evan Secor, “Infection and treatment immunizations for successful parasite vaccines,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 135–141, 2013.
- S. J. Jenkins, D. Ruckerl, G. D. Thomas, J. P. Hewitson, S. Duncan, F. Brombacher, R. M. Maizels, D. A. Hume, and J. E. Allen, “IL-4 directly signals tissue-resident macrophages to proliferate beyond homeostatic levels controlled by CSF-1,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, 2013.
- Alberto N. Peón, Arlett Espinoza-Jiménez, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Immunoregulation by Taenia crassiceps and Its Antigens,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Cristián Togno-Peirce, Karen Nava-Castro, Luis Ignacio Terrazas, and Jorge Morales-Montor, “Sex-Associated Expression of Co-Stimulatory Molecules CD80, CD86, and Accessory Molecules, PDL-1, PDL-2 and MHC-II, in F480+ Macrophages during Murine Cysticercosis,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- Berenice Faz-López, Yadira Ledesma-Soto, Yolanda Romero-Sánchez, Elsa Calleja, Pablo Martínez-Labat, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription Factor 6 Signaling Contributes to Control Host Lung Pathology but Favors Susceptibility against Toxocara canis Infection,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.