- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 314213, 11 pages
Electrodelivery of Drugs into Cancer Cells in the Presence of Poloxamer 188
1Institute of Biophysics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad. G. Bonchev Street, Building 21, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
2German Cancer Research Center, Toxicology and Chemotherapy Unit, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69 120 Heidelberg, Germany
3Centre of Biomedical Engineering “Prof. Ivan Daskalov”, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad. G. Bonchev Street, Building 103, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Received 13 October 2009; Revised 7 April 2010; Accepted 10 June 2010
Academic Editor: Sonshin Takao
Copyright © 2010 Iana Tsoneva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Saulis, “The loading of human erythrocytes with small molecules by electroporation,” Cellular and Molecular Biology Letters, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 23–35, 2005.
- O. Tounekti, G. Pron, J. Belehradek Jr., and L. M. Mir, “Bleomycin, an apoptosis-mimetic drug that induces two types of cell death depending on the number of molecules internalized,” Cancer Research, vol. 53, no. 22, pp. 5462–5469, 1993.
- M. J. Jaroszeski, V. Dang, C. Pottinger, J. Hickey, R. Gilbert, and R. Heller, “Toxicity of anticancer agents mediated by electroporation in vitro,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 201–208, 2000.
- I. Tsoneva, B. Nikolova, M. Georgieva, M. Guenova, T. Tomov, M.-P. Rols, and M. R. Berger, “Induction of apoptosis by electrotransfer of positively charged proteins as Cytochrome C and histone H1 into cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1721, no. 1-3, pp. 55–64, 2005.
- E. Neumann, S. Kakorin, I. Tsoneva, B. Nikolova, and T. Tomov, “Calcium-mediated DNA adsorption to yeast cells and kinetics of cell transformation by electroporation,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 868–877, 1996.
- L. M. Mir, L. F. Glass, and L. F. Glass, “Effective treatment of cutaneous and subcutaneous malignant tumours by electrochemotherapy,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 2336–2342, 1998.
- G. Serša, B. Štabuc, M. Čemažar, D. Miklavčič, and Z. Rudolf, “Electrochemotherapy with cisplatin: the systemic antitumour effectiveness of cisplatin can be potentiated locally by the application of electric pulses in the treatment of malignant melanoma skin metastases,” Melanoma Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 381–385, 2000.
- E. Peycheva, I. Daskalov, and I. Tsoneva, “Electrochemotherapy of Mycosis fungoides by interferon-α,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 283–286, 2007.
- L. Heller, K. Merkler, and K. Merkler, “Evaluation of toxicity following electrically mediated interleukin-12 gene delivery in a B16 mouse melanoma model,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 3177–3183, 2006.
- R. Zhou, J. E. Norton, N. Zhang, and D. A. Dean, “Electroporation-mediated transfer of plasmids to the lung results in reduced TLR9 signaling and inflammation,” Gene Therapy, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 775–780, 2007.
- E. P. Spugnini and A. Porrello, “Potentiation of chemotherapy in companion animals with spontaneous large neoplasm by application of bipolar electric pulse,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 571–580, 2003.
- E. P. Spugnini, G. Citro, and A. Porrello, “Rational design of new electrodes for electrochemotherapy,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 245–254, 2005.
- E. P. Spugnini, E. Dragonetti, B. Vincenzi, N. Onori, G. Citro, and A. Baldi, “Pulse-mediated chemotherapy enhances local control and survival in a spontaneous canine model of primary mucosal melanoma,” Melanoma Research, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 2006.
- E. P. Spugnini, A. Baldi, B. Vincenzi, F. Bongiorni, C. Bellelli, G. Citro, and A. Porrello, “Intraoperative versus postoperative electrochemotherapy in high grade soft tissue sarcomas: a preliminary study in a spontaneous feline model,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 375–381, 2007.
- E. P. Spugnini, B. Vincenzi, F. Baldi, G. Citro, and A. Baldi, “Adjuvant electrochemotherapy for the treatment of incompletely resected canine mast cell tumors,” Anticancer Research, vol. 26, no. 6B, pp. 4585–4589, 2006.
- E. P. Spugnini, G. Citro, A. D'Avino, and A. Baldi, “Potential role of electrochemotherapy for the treatment of soft tissue sarcoma: first insights from preclinical studies in animals,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 159–163, 2008.
- E. P. Spugnini, G. Citro, P. Mellone, I. Dotsinsky, N. Mudrov, and A. Baldi, “Electrochemotherapy for localized lymphoma: a preliminary study in companion animals,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 343–346, 2007.
- E. P. Spugnini, F. Baldi, and F. Baldi, “Patterns of tumor response in canine and feline cancer patients treated with electrochemotherapy: preclinical data for the standardization of this treatment in pets and humans,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 5, pp. 48–52, 2007.
- D. M. Soden, J. O. Larkin, and J. O. Larkin, “Successful application of targeted electrochemotherapy using novel flexible electrodes and low dose bleomycin to solid tumours,” Cancer Letters, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 300–310, 2006.
- L. F. Glass, M. Jaroszeski, R. Gilbert, D. S. Reintgen, and R. Heller, “Intralesional bleomycin-mediated electrochemotherapy in 20 patients with basal cell carcinoma,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 596–599, 1997.
- M. Rebersek, T. Cufer, M. Cemazar, S. Kranjc, and G. Sersa, “Electrochemotherapy with cisplatin of cutaneous tumor lesions in breast cancer,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 593–597, 2004.
- J. D. Marks, W. Cromie, and R. Lee, “Nonionic surfactant prevent NMDA-induced death in cultured hippocampal neurons,” Society for Neuroscience Abstracts, vol. 24, no. 1, p. 462, 1998.
- F. A. Merchant, W. H. Holmes, M. Capelli-Schellpfeffer, R. C. Lee, and M. Toner, “Poloxamer 188 enhances functional recovery of lethally heat-shocked fibroblasts,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 1998.
- R. C. Lee, L. P. River, F.-S. Pan, L. Ji, and R. L. Wollmann, “Surfactant-induced sealing of electropermeabilized skeletal muscle membranes in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 4524–4528, 1992.
- J. D. Marks, C. Y. Pan, T. Bushell, W. Cromie, and R. C. Lee, “Amphiphilic, tri-block copolymers provide potent membrane-targeted neuroprotection,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1107–1109, 2001.
- P. Liu-Snyder, M. P. Logan, R. Shi, D. T. Smith, and R. B. Borgens, “Neuroprotection from secondary injury by polyethylene glycol requires its internalization,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 210, no. 8, pp. 1455–1462, 2007.
- A. Jordanova, Surface properties and behavior of lipid liquid crystal faces, Ph.D. thesis, Sofia, Bulgaria, 2006.
- S. A. Maskarinec, G. Wu, and K. Y. Lee, “Membrane sealing by polymers,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1066, pp. 310–320, 2005.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- S. M. Konstantinov, H. Eibl, and M. R. Berger, “Alkylphosphocholines induce apoptosis in HL-60 and U-937 leukemic cells,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 210–216, 1998.
- G. Pucihar, T. Kotnik, J. Teissié, and D. Miklavčič, “Electropermeabilization of dense cell suspensions,” European Biophysics Journal, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 173–185, 2007.
- T. C. Tomov, “Quantitative dependence of electroporation on the pulse parameters,” Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 101–107, 1995.
- J. M. Collins, F. Despa, and R. C. Lee, “Structural and functional recovery of electropermeabilized skeletal muscle in-vivo after treatment with surfactant poloxamer 188,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1768, no. 5, pp. 1238–1246, 2007.
- I. Daskalov, N. Mudrov, and E. Peycheva, “Exploring new instrumentation parameters for electrochemotherapy: attacking tumors with bursts of biphasic pulses instead of single pulses,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 1999.
- A. V. Kabanov, I. R. Nazarova, I. V. Astafieva, E. V. Batrakova, V. YU. Alakhov, A. A. Yaroslavov, and V. A. Kabanov, “Micelle formation and solubilization of fluorescent probes in poly(oxyethylene-b-oxypropylene-b-oxyethylene) solutions,” Macromolecules, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 2303–2314, 1995.
- P. Alexandridis and T. A. Hatton, “Poly(ethylene oxide)poly(propylene oxide)poly(ethylene oxide) block copolymer surfactants in aqueous solutions and at interfaces: thermodynamics, structure, dynamics, and modeling,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 96, no. 1-2, pp. 1–46, 1995.
- P. J. Photos, H. Bermudez, H. Aranda-Espinoza, J. Shillcock, and D. E. Discher, “Nuclear pores and membrane holes: generic models for confined chains and entropic barriers in pore stabilization,” Soft Matter, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 364–371, 2007.
- D. J. Curry, D. A. Wright, R. C. Lee, U. J. Kang, and D. M. Frim, “Surfactant poloxamer 188-related decreases in inflammation and tissue damage after experimental brain injury in rats,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 101, no. 1, supplement, pp. 91–96, 2004.