- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 369549, 29 pages
Differential Expression of MicroRNAs between Eutopic and Ectopic Endometrium in Ovarian Endometriosis
1Laboratory of Oncological Gynecology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, and Biotechnology Center for Applied Medical Research, University of Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro”, 28100 Novara, Italy
2Laboratory of Biochemistry, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, and Biotechnology Center for Applied Medical Research, University of Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro”, 28100 Novara, Italy
Received 12 March 2009; Revised 10 August 2009; Accepted 19 December 2009
Academic Editor: Sorin Draghici
Copyright © 2010 Nicoletta Filigheddu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. F. Kruitwagen, L. G. Poels, W. N. P. Willemsen, I. J. Y. de Ronde, P. H. K. Jap, and R. Rolland, “Endometrial epithelial cells in peritoneal fluid during the early follicular phase,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 297–303, 1991.
- W. P. Dmowski, R. W. Steele, and G. F. Baker, “Deficient cellular immunity in endometriosis,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 141, no. 4, pp. 377–383, 1981.
- S. M. Gilmore, S. Aksel, C. Hoff, and R. D. A. Peterson, “In vitro lymphocyte activity in women with endometriosis—an altered immune response?” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1148–1152, 1992.
- S. Z. A. Badawy, V. Cuenca, H. Freliech, and C. Stefanu, “Endometrial antibodies in serum and peritoneal fluid of infertile patients with and without endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 930–932, 1990.
- P. V. Taylor, M. D. Maloney, J. M. Campbell, et al., “Autoreactivity in women with endometriosis,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 680–684, 1991.
- A. F. Haney, J. J. Muscato, and J. B. Weinberg, “Peritoneal fluid cell populations in infertility patients,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 696–698, 1981.
- L. Van Le, S.-T. Oh, J. A. Anners, C. A. Rinehart, and J. Halme, “Interleukin-1 inhibits growth of normal human endometrial stromal cells,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 405–409, 1992.
- D. Semer, K. Reisler, P. C. MacDonald, and M. L. Casey, “Responsiveness of human endometrial stromal cells to cytokines,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 622, pp. 99–110, 1991.
- N. Rana, D. P. Braun, R. House, H. Gebel, C. Rotman, and W. P. Dmowski, “Basal and stimulated secretion of cytokines by peritoneal macrophages in women with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 925–930, 1996.
- S. E. Rier, A. K. Parsons, and J. L. Becker, “Altered interleukin-6 production by peritoneal leukocytes from patients with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 294–299, 1994.
- I. E. Sasson and H. S. Taylor, “Stem cells and the pathogenesis of endometriosis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1127, pp. 106–115, 2008.
- S. Kennedy, R. Hadfield, C. Westbrook, D. E. Weeks, D. Barlow, and S. Golding, “Magnetic resonance imaging to assess familial risk in relatives of women with endometriosis,” The Lancet, vol. 352, no. 9138, pp. 1440–1441, 1998.
- J. L. Simpson, S. Elias, L. R. Malinak, and V. C. Buttram Jr., “Heritable aspects of endometriosis. I. Genetic studies,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 327–331, 1980.
- D. Coxhead and E. J. Thomas, “Familial inheritance of endometriosis in a British population. A case control study,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 42–44, 1993.
- M. H. Moen and P. Magnus, “The familial risk of endometriosis,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 560–564, 1993.
- S. Kennedy, R. Hadfield, H. Mardon, and D. Barlow, “Age of onset of pain symptoms in non-twin sisters concordant for endometriosis,” Human Reproduction, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 403–405, 1996.
- S. Kennedy, “The genetics of endometriosis,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 129–133, 1999.
- S. Kennedy, S. Bennett, and D. E. Weeks, “Affected sib-pair analysis in endometriosis,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 411–418, 2001.
- J. Meola, J. C. Rosa e Silva, D. B. Dentillo, et al., “Differentially expressed genes in eutopic and ectopic endometrium of women with endometriosis,” 2009, Fertility and Sterility. [Epub ahead of print].
- H. Honda, F. F. Barrueto, J. Gogusev, D. D. Im, and P. J. Morin, “Serial analysis of gene expression reveals differential expression between endometriosis and normal endometrium. Possible roles for AXL and SHC1 in the pathogenesis of endometriosis,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 6, article 59, 2008.
- W.-P. Hu, S. K. Tay, and Y. Zhao, “Endometriosis-specific genes identified by real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction expression profiling of endometriosis versus autologous uterine endometrium,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 228–238, 2006.
- Y. Wu, A. Kajdacsy-Balla, E. Strawn, et al., “Transcriptional characterizations of differences between eutopic and ectopic endometrium,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 232–246, 2006.
- K. M. Eyster, O. Klinkova, V. Kennedy, and K. A. Hansen, “Whole genome deoxyribonucleic acid microarray analysis of gene expression in ectopic versus eutopic endometrium,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 1505–1533, 2007.
- M. L. Hull, C. R. Escareno, J. M. Godsland, et al., “Endometrial-peritoneal interactions during endometriotic lesion establishment,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 700–715, 2008.
- R. C. Lee, R. L. Feinbaum, and V. Ambros, “The C. elegance heterochronic gene lin-4 encodes small RNAs with antisense complementarity to lin-14,” Cell, vol. 75, pp. 843–854, 1993.
- E. C. Lai, P. Tomancak, R. W. Williams, and G. M. Rubin, “Computational identification of Drosophila microRNA genes,” Genome Biology, vol. 4, no. 7, article R42, 2003.
- L. P. Lim, N. C. Lau, E. G. Weinstein, et al., “The microRNAs of Caenorhabditis elegans,” Genes and Development, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 991–1008, 2003.
- L. P. Lim, N. C. Lau, P. Garrett-Engele, et al., “Microarray analysis shows that some microRNAs downregulate large numbers of-target mRNAs,” Nature, vol. 433, no. 7027, pp. 769–773, 2005.
- B. P. Lewis, C. B. Burge, and D. P. Bartel, “Conserved seed pairing, often flanked by adenosines, indicates that thousands of human genes are microRNA targets,” Cell, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2005.
- P. Xu, S. Y. Vernooy, M. Guo, and B. A. Hay, “The Drosophila microRNA mir-14 suppresses cell death and is required for normal fat metabolism,” Current Biology, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 790–795, 2003.
- J. Brennecke, D. R. Hipfner, A. Stark, R. B. Russell, and S. M. Cohen, “bantam encodes a developmentally regulated microRNA that controls cell proliferation and regulates the proapoptotic gene hid in Drosophila,” Cell, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 2003.
- J. Dostie, Z. Mourelatos, M. Yang, A. Sharma, and G. Dreyfuss, “Numerous microRNPs in neuronal cells containing novel microRNAs,” RNA, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 180–186, 2003.
- J. Dostie, Z. Mourelatos, M. Yang, A. Sharma, and G. Dreyfuss, “Erratum: numerous microRNPs in neuronal cells containing novel microRNAs,” RNA, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 631–632, 2003.
- V. Ambros, “The functions of animal microRNAs,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7006, pp. 350–355, 2004.
- B. M. Engels and G. Hutvagner, “Principles and effects of microRNA-mediated post-transcriptional gene regulation,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 46, pp. 6163–6169, 2006.
- M. Jovanovic and M. O. Hengartner, “miRNAs and apoptosis: RNAs to die for,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 46, pp. 6176–6187, 2006.
- R. Garzon, M. Fabbri, A. Cimmino, G. A. Calin, and C. M. Croce, “MicroRNA expression and function in cancer,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 580–587, 2006.
- G. A. Calin and C. M. Croce, “MicroRNA signatures in human cancers,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 857–866, 2006.
- M. Canis, J. G. Donnez, D. S. Guzick, et al., “Revised american society for reproductive medicine classification of endometriosis: 1996,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 817–821, 1997.
- X. Gao, E. Gulari, and X. Zhou, “In situ synthesis of oligonucleotide microarrays,” Biopolymers, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 579–596, 2004.
- Q. Zhu, A. Hong, N. Sheng, et al., “microParaflo biochip for nucleic acid and protein analysis,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 382, pp. 287–312, 2007.
- B. M. Bolstad, R. A. Irizarry, M. Astrandand, and T. P. Speed, “A comparison of normalization methods for high density oligonucleotide array data based on variance and bias,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 185–193, 2003.
- W. Pan, “A comparative review of statistical methods for discovering differentially expressed genes in replicated microarray experiments,” Bioinformatics, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 546–554, 2002.
- M. B. Eisen, P. T. Spellman, P. O. Brown, and D. Botstein, “Cluster analysis and display of genome-wide expression patterns,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 25, pp. 14863–14868, 1998.
- M. Fabbri, R. Garzon, A. Cimmino, et al., “MicroRNA-29 family reverts aberrant methylation in lung cancer by targeting DNA methyltransferases 3A and 3B,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 40, pp. 15805–15810, 2007.
- A. M. Duursma, M. Kedde, M. Schrier, C. le Sage, and R. Agami, “miR-148 targets human DNMT3b protein coding region,” RNA, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 872–877, 2008.
- P. A. Jones and S. B. Baylin, “The epigenomics of cancer,” Cell, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 683–692, 2007.
- Y. Wu, E. Strawn, Z. Basir, G. Halverson, and S.-W. Guo, “Aberrant expression of deoxyribonucleic acid methyltransferases DNMT1, DNMT3A, and DNMT3B in women with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2007.
- A. Kharfi, Y. Labelle, J. Mailloux, and A. Akoum, “Deficient expression of tumor necrosis factor receptor type 2 in the endometrium of women with endometriosis,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2003.
- Y. S. Antsiferova, N. Yu. Sotnikova, L. V. Posiseeva, and A. L. Shor, “Changes in the T-helper cytokine profile and in lymphocyte activation at the systemic and local levels in women with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1705–1711, 2005.
- O. A. Odukoya, R. Ajjan, K. Lim, P. F. Watson, A. P. Weetman, and I. D. Cooke, “The pattern of cytokine mRNA expression in ovarian endometriomata,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 393–397, 1997.
- T. Tsudo, T. Harada, T. Iwabe, et al., “Altered gene expression and secretion of interleukin-6 in stromal cells derived from endometriotic tissues,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 205–211, 2000.
- C. M. Kyama, L. Overbergh, S. Debrock, et al., “Increased peritoneal and endometrial gene expression of biologically relevant cytokines and growth factors during the menstrual phase in women with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 1667–1675, 2006.
- R. O. Burney, S. Talbi, A. E. Hamilton, et al., “Gene expression analysis of endometrium reveals progesterone resistance and candidate susceptibility genes in women with endometriosis,” Endocrinology, vol. 148, no. 8, pp. 3814–3826, 2007.
- K. Shazand, S. Baban, C. Prive, et al., “FOXO1 and c-jun transcription factors mRNA are modulated in endometriosis,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 871–877, 2004.
- S. Matsuzaki, M. Canis, C. Vaurs-Barrière, O. Boespflug-Tanguy, B. Dastugue, and G. Mage, “DNA microarray analysis of gene expression in eutopic endometrium from patients with deep endometriosis using laser capture microdissection,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 84, supplement 2, pp. 1180–1190, 2005.
- P. A. Gregory, A. G. Bert, E. L. Paterson, et al., “The miR-200 family and miR-205 regulate epithelial to mesenchymal transition by targeting ZEB1 and SIP1,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 593–601, 2008.
- P. Khatri, P. Bhavsar, G. Bawa, and S. Draghici, “Onto-tools: an ensemble of web-accessible ontology-based tools for the functional design and interpretation of high-throughput gene expression experiments,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, pp. W449–W456, 2004.
- S. Draghici, P. Khatri, A. L. Tarca, et al., “A systems biology approach for pathway level analysis,” Genome Research, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1537–1545, 2007.
- Y. Zhou, R.-A. F. Gunput, and R. J. Pasterkamp, “Semaphorin signaling: progress made and promises ahead,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 161–170, 2008.
- F. Shen, X. Liu, J.-G. Geng, and S.-W. Guo, “Increased immunoreactivity to SLIT/ROBO1 in ovarian endometriomas: a likely constituent biomarker for recurrence,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 479–488, 2009.
- Q. Pan, X. Luo, T. Toloubeydokhti, and N. Chegini, “The expression profile of micro-RNA in endometrium and endometriosis and the influence of ovarian steroids on their expression,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 797–806, 2007.
- E. M. C. O. Teague, K. H. Van der Hoek, M. B. Van der Hoek, et al., “MicroRNA-regulated pathways associated with endometriosis,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 265–275, 2009.