- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 384523, 7 pages
Infection with Hymenolepis diminuta Is More Effective than Daily Corticosteroids in Blocking Chemically Induced Colitis in Mice
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Calvin, Phoebe & Joan Snyder Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
Received 24 July 2009; Accepted 16 September 2009
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2010 Alexandra Melon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J.-F. Bach, “The effect of infections on susceptibility to autoimmune and allergic diseases,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 12, pp. 911–920, 2002.
- M. Yazdanbakhsh, P. G. Kremsner, and R. van Ree, “Allergy, parasites and the hygiene hypothesis,” Science, vol. 296, pp. 490–494, 2002.
- D. E. Elliott, J. F. Urban Jr., C. K. Argo, and J. V. Weinstock, “Does the failure to acquire helminthic parasites predispose to Crohn's disease?” The FASEB Journal, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1848–1855, 2000.
- D. E. Elliott, R. W. Summers, and J. V. Weinstock, “Helminths as governors of immune-mediated inflammation,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 457–464, 2007.
- R. M. Maizels, A. Balic, N. Gomez-Escobar, M. Nair, M. D. Taylor, and J. E. Allen, “Helminth parasites—masters of regulation,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 201, pp. 89–116, 2004.
- M. G. Nair, K. J. Guild, and D. Artis, “Novel effector molecules in type 2 inflammation: lessons drawn from helminth infection and allergy,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 1393–1399, 2006.
- M. M. Hunter, A. Wang, C. L. Hirota, and D. M. McKay, “Neutralizing anti-IL-10 antibody blocks the protective effect of tapeworm infection in a murine model of chemically induced colitis,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 174, no. 11, pp. 7368–7375, 2005.
- D. M. McKay, “The therapeutic helminth?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 109–114, 2009.
- H. J. van Kruiningen and A. B. West, “Iatrogenic Trichuris suis infection,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 131, no. 2, p. 180, 2007.
- R. W. Summers, D. E. Elliot, J. F. Urban Jr., R. Thompson, and J. V. Weinstock, “Trichuris suis therapy in Crohn's disease,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 87–90, 2005.
- K. Mortimer, A. Brown, J. Feary, et al., “Dose-ranging study for trials of therapeutic infection with Necator americanus in humans,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 914–920, 2006.
- R. Persaud, A. Wang, C. Reardon, and D. M. McKay, “Characterization of the immuno-regulatory response to the tapeworm Hymenolepis diminuta in the non-permissive mouse host,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 393–403, 2007.
- A. Lamrani, M. Tulliez, L. Chauvelot-Moachon, et al., “Effects of octreotide treatment on early TNF- production and localization in experimental chronic colitis,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 583–594, 1999.
- J. Stein, J. Ries, and K. E. Barrett, “Disruption of intestinal barrier function associated with experimental colitis: possible role of mast cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. G203–G209, 1998.
- A. Sood, V. Midha, N. Sood, and G. Awasthi, “A prospective, open-label trial assessing dexamethasone pulse therapy in moderate to severe ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 328–331, 2002.
- M. M. Hunter, A. Wang, and D. M. McKay, “Helminth infection enhances disease in a murine TH2 model of colitis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 1320–1330, 2007.
- A. Wang and D. M. McKay, “Immune modulation by a high molecular weight fraction from the rat tapeworm Hymenolepis diminuta,” Parasitology, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 575–585, 2005.
- B. E. Sands, “Inflammatory bowel disease: past, present, and future,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 2007.
- M. R. Ehrenstein, J. G. Evans, A. Singh, et al., “Compromised function of regulatory T cells in rheumatoid arthritis and reversal by anti-TNF therapy,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 200, no. 3, pp. 277–285, 2004.
- M. Desowitz, “Harmonius parasites,” in New Guinea Tapeworms and Jewish Grandmothers, pp. 179–205, Pickwick, London, UK, 1981.
- J. V. Weinstock and D. E. Elliott, “Helminths and the IBD hygiene hypothesis,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 2009.
- M. N. Ince, D. E. Elliott, T. Setiawan, et al., “Role of T cell TGF- signaling in intestinal cytokine responses and helminthic immune modulation,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1870–1878, 2009.
- C. Daniel, N. A. Sartory, N. Zahn, H. H. Radeke, and J. M. Stein, “Immune modulatory treatment of trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid colitis with calcitriol is associated with a change of a T helper (Th) 1/Th17 to a Th2 and regulatory T cell profile,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 23–33, 2008.
- L. Cannarile, S. Cuzzocrea, L. Santucci, et al., “Glucocorticoid-induced leucine zipper is protective in Th1-mediated models of colitis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 530–541, 2009.
- O. Atug, H. Hamzaoglu, V. Tahan, et al., “Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is as effective as dexamethasone in the treatment of TNBS-E-induced experimental colitis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 481–485, 2008.
- M. E. van Meeteren, M. A. C. Meijssen, and F. J. Zijlstra, “The effect of dexamethasone treatment on murine colitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 517–521, 2000.