- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 431894, 6 pages
A Metabonomic Comparison of Urinary Changes in Zucker and GK Rats
1Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
2School of Pharmacy, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325035, China
3College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
Received 29 June 2010; Accepted 14 September 2010
Academic Editor: Ronald Tjeerdema
Copyright © 2010 Liang-Cai Zhao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. A. Ismail and G. V. Gill, “The epidemiology of type 2 diabetes and its current measurement,” Bailliere's Best Practice and Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 197–220, 1999.
- T. Huo, S. Cai, X. Lu, Y. Sha, M. Yu, and F. Li, “Metabonomic study of biochemical changes in the serum of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients after the treatment of metformin hydrochloride,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 976–982, 2009.
- D. L. Rothman, I. Magnusson, G. Cline et al., “Decreased muscle glucose transport/phosphorylation is an early defect in the pathogenesis of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 983–987, 1995.
- G. W. Cline, K. F. Petersen, M. Krssak et al., “Impaired glucose transport as a cause of decreased insulin-stimulated muscle glycogen synthesis in type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 4, pp. 240–246, 1999.
- J. K. Nicholson, J. Connelly, J. C. Lindon, and E. Holmes, “Metabonomics: a platform for studying drug toxicity and gene function,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 153–161, 2002.
- J. L. Griffin and A. Vidal-Puig, “Current challenges in metabolomics for diabetes research: a vital functional genomic tool or just a ploy for gaining funding?” Physiological Genomics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2008.
- R. Williams, E. M. Lenz, A. J. Wilson et al., “A multi-analytical platform approach to the metabonomic analysis of plasma from normal and zucker (fa/fa) obese rats,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 2, no. 3-4, pp. 174–183, 2006.
- H. J. Major, R. Williams, A. J. Wilson, and I. D. Wilson, “A metabonomic analysis of plasma from Zucker rat strains using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and pattern recognition,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 20, no. 22, pp. 3295–3302, 2006.
- R. E. Williams, E. M. Lenz, M. Rantalainen, and I. D. Wilson, “The comparative metabonomics of age-related changes in the urinary composition of male Wistar-derived and Zucker (fa/fa) obese rats,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 2, no. 3-4, pp. 193–202, 2006.
- R. E. Williams, E. M. Lenz, J. A. Evans et al., “A combined 1H NMR and HPLC-MS-based metabonomic study of urine from obese (fa/fa) Zucker and normal Wistar-derived rats,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 465–471, 2005.
- R. M. Salek, M. L. Maguire, E. Bentley et al., “A metabolomic comparison of urinary changes in type 2 diabetes in mouse, rat, and human,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 99–108, 2007.
- E. P. Wijekoon, C. Skinner, M. E. Brosnan, and J. T. Brosnan, “Amino acid metabolism in the Zucker diabetic fatty rat: effects of insulin resistance and of type 2 diabetes,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 506–514, 2004.
- Q. Wang, Y. Jiang, C. Wu et al., “Study of a novel indolin-2-ketone compound Z24 induced hepatotoxicity by NMR-spectroscopy-based metabonomics of rat urine, blood plasma, and liver extracts,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 71–82, 2006.
- H. G. Gika, G. A. Theodoridis, and I. D. Wilson, “Hydrophilic interaction and reversed-phase ultra-performance liquid chromatography TOF-MS for metabonomic analysis of Zucker rat urine,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1598–1608, 2008.
- J. Galli, L.-S. Li, A. Glaser et al., “Genetic analysis of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in the GK rat,” Nature Genetics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 1996.
- M. Gotoh, C. Li, M. Yatoh, N. Okabayashi, S. Habu, and Y. Hirooka, “Hypothalamic monoamine metabolism is different between the diabetic GK (Goto-Kakizaki) rats and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Brain Research, vol. 1073-1074, no. 1, pp. 497–501, 2006.
- L. Fritsche, C. Weigert, H.-U. Häring, and R. Lehmann, “How insulin receptor substrate proteins regulate the metabolic capacity of the liver—implications for health and disease,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 1316–1329, 2008.
- S. R. Pieczenik and J. Neustadt, “Mitochondrial dysfunction and molecular pathways of disease,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 84–92, 2007.
- N. J. Serkova, M. Jackman, J. L. Brown et al., “Metabolic profiling of livers and blood from obese Zucker rats,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 956–962, 2006.
- W. -J. Deng, S. Nie, J. Dai, J. -R. Wu, and R. Zeng, “Proteome, phosphoproteome, and hydroxyproteome of liver mitochondria in diabetic rats at early pathogenic stages,” Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 100–116, 2010.
- V. Vats, S. P. Yadav, and J. K. Grover, “Effect of T. foenumgraecum on glycogen content of tissues and the key enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 85, no. 2-3, pp. 237–242, 2003.
- F. Belfiore, S. Iannello, R. Campione, and G. Volpicelli, “Metabolic effects of high glucose concentrations: inhibition of hepatic pyruvate kinase,” Diabetes Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 183–186, 1989.
- M. J. Azain and J. A. Ontko, “Ketone body utilization for lipogenesis in the perfused liver of the obese Zucker rat,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 561–565, 1990.
- S. Amaral, A. J. Moreno, M. S. Santos, R. Seiça, and J. Ramalho-Santos, “Effects of hyperglycemia on sperm and testicular cells of Goto-Kakizaki and streptozotocin-treated rat models for diabetes,” Theriogenology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 2056–2067, 2006.
- C. L. Gavaghan, E. Holmes, E. Lenz, I. D. Wilson, and J. K. Nicholson, “An NMR-based metabonomic approach to investigate the biochemical consequences of genetic strain differences: application to the C57BL10J and Alpk:ApfCD mouse,” FEBS Letters, vol. 484, no. 3, pp. 169–174, 2000.
- I. Messana, F. Forni, F. Ferrari, C. Rossi, B. Giardina, and C. Zuppi, “Proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectral profiles of urine in type II diabetic patients,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1529–1534, 1998.
- N. J. Waters, C. J. Waterfield, R. D. Farrant, E. Holmes, and J. K. Nicholson, “Metabonomic deconvolution of embedded toxicity: application to thioacetamide hepato- and nephrotoxicity,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 639–654, 2005.
- L.-J. Wang, Y.-H. Yu, L.-G. Zhang et al., “Taurine rescues vascular endothelial dysfunction in streptozocin-induced diabetic rats: correlated with downregulation of LOX-1 and ICAM-1 expression on aortas,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 597, no. 1–3, pp. 75–80, 2008.
- E. C. Kulakowski and J. Maturo, “Hypoglycemic properties of taurine: not mediated by enhanced insulin release,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 33, no. 18, pp. 2835–2838, 1984.
- N. C. Turner, P. J. Morgan, A. C. Haynes, M. Vidgeon-Hart, N. Toseland, and J. C. Clapham, “Elevated renal endothelin-1 clearance and mRNA levels associated with albuminuria and nephropathy in non insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: studies in obese fa/fa Zucker rats,” Clinical Science, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 565–571, 1997.