- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 476279, 19 pages
Pathogenesis of Insulin Resistance in Skeletal Muscle
Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Received 7 December 2009; Accepted 20 January 2010
Academic Editor: Guy M. Benian
Copyright © 2010 Muhammad A. Abdul-Ghani and Ralph A. DeFronzo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [51 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Nicolas Wiernsperger, and JeanRobert Rapin, “Trace elements in glucometabolic disorders: an update,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 2, 2010.
- Hai Dan Yuan, Hai Yan Quan, Mi-Song Jung, Su-Jung Kim, Bo Huang, Do-Yeon Kim, and Sung-Hyun Chung, “Anti-Diabetic Effect of Pectinase-Processed Ginseng Radix (GINST) in High Fat Diet-Fed ICR Mice,” Journal of Ginseng Research, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 308–314, 2011.
- Cristoforo Silvestri, Alessia Ligresti, and Vincenzo Di Marzo, “Peripheral effects of the endocannabinoid system in energy homeostasis: Adi pose tissue, liver and skeletal muscle,” Reviews in Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 153–162, 2011.
- Valentin Barquissau, and Béatrice Morio, “Physiopathologie de l’insulinorésistance dans le muscle squelettique et implication des fonctions mitochondriales,” Nutrition Clinique et Métabolisme, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 114–130, 2011.
- Meritxell Rosell, Marius C. Jones, and Malcolm G. Parker, “Role of nuclear receptor corepressor RIP140 in metabolic syndrome,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1812, no. 8, pp. 919–928, 2011.
- S. Passey, N. Martin, D. Player, and M. P. Lewis, “Stretching skeletal muscle in vitro: does it replicate in vivo physiology?,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1513–1521, 2011.
- J. L. Shadrach, and A. J. Wagers, “Stem cells for skeletal muscle repair,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 366, no. 1575, pp. 2297–2306, 2011.
- Brennan K. Smith, Swati S. Jain, Stéphanie Rimbaud, Aaron Dam, Joe Quadrilatero, Renée Ventura‑Clapier, Arend Bonen, and Graham P. Holloway, “FAT/CD36 is located on the outer mitochondrial membrane, upstream of long-chain acyl-CoA synthetase, and regulates palmitate oxidation,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 437, no. 1, pp. 125–134, 2011.
- Brigitte I. Frohnert, Alan R. Sinaiko, Federico J. Serrot, Rocio E. Foncea, Antoinette Moran, Sayeed Ikramuddin, Umar Choudry, and David A. Bernlohr, “Increased Adipose Protein Carbonylation in Human Obesity,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1735–1741, 2011.
- Gao Sun, and Guy A Rutter, “Targeting the AMP-regulated kinase family to treat diabetes: a research update,” Diabetes Management, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 333–347, 2011.
- Ana Gomez-Ruiz, Fermin I. Milagro, Javier Campion, J. Alfredo Martinez, and Carlos de Miguel, “High-fat diet feeding alters metabolic response to fasting/non fasting cond itions. Effect on caveolin expression and insulin signalling,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, 2011.
- Edel Mullen, Elaine O'Reilly, and Kay Ohlendieck, “Skeletal muscle tissue from the Goto-Kakizaki rat model of type-2 diabetes exhibits increased levels of the small heat shock protein Hsp27,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 229–236, 2011.
- Daniel A. Kane, Chien-Te Lin, Ethan J. Anderson, Hyo-Bum Kwak, Julie H. Cox, Patricia M. Brophy, Robert C. Hickner, P. Darrell Neufer, and Ronald N. Cortright, “Progesterone increases skeletal muscle mitochondrial H2O2 emission in nonme nopausal women,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 300, no. 3, pp. E528–E535, 2011.
- Tatsuro Egawa, Satoshi Tsuda, Xiao Ma, Taku Hamada, and Tatsuya Hayashi, “Caffeine modulates phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate-1 and impa irs insulin signal transduction in rat skeletal muscle,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1629–1636, 2011.
- Robyn A. Tamboli, Tahar Hajri, Aixiang Jiang, Pamela A. Marks-Shulman, D. Brandon Williams, Ronald H. Clements, Willie Melvin, Benjamin P. Bowen, Yu Shyr, Naji N. Abumrad, and Charles Robb Flynn, “Reduction in Inflammatory Gene Expression in Skeletal Muscle from Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Patients Randomized to Omentectomy,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 12, 2011.
- Dawn K. Coletta, and Lawrence J. Mandarino, “Mitochondrial dysfunction and insulin resistance from the outside in: extra cellular matrix, the cytoskeleton, and mitochondria,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 301, no. 5, pp. E749–E755, 2011.
- A. B. Fernandes, R. S. Patarrão, P. A. Videira, and M. P. Macedo, “Understanding Postprandial Glucose Clearance by Peripheral Organs: The Role of the Hepatic Parasympathetic System,” Journal of Neuroendocrinology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1288–1295, 2011.
- Hanbing Li, Jing Nie, and Yunxue Pan, “Astragaloside IV improved insulin resistance in L6 myotubes induced by high glucose and insulin,” 2011 International Conference on Remote Sensing, Environment and Transportation Engineering, RSETE 2011 - Proceedings, pp. 7415–7418, 2011.
- Christina Schwanstecher, and Mathias Schwanstecher, “Targeting type 2 diabetes,” Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, vol. 203, pp. 1–33, 2011.
- E. Heyman, F.-X. Gamelin, J. Aucouturier, and V. Di Marzo, “The role of the endocannabinoid system in skeletal muscle and metabolic adaptations to exercise: potential implications for the treatment of obesity,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1110–1124, 2012.
- Cristoforo Silvestri, and Vincenzo Di Marzo, “Second generation CB1 receptor blockers and other inhibitors of peripheral endocannabinoid overactivity and the rationale of their use against metabolic disorders,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1309–1322, 2012.
- Khalid M. Alkharfy, Nasser M. Al-Daghri, Mukhtar Ahmed, and Sobhy M. Yakout, “Effects of Vitamin D Treatment on Skeletal Muscle Histology and Ultrastruct ural Changes in a Rodent Model,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 9081–9089, 2012.
- Mary Beth Weber, Reena Oza-Frank, Lisa R. Staimez, Mohammed K. Ali, and K.M. Venkat Narayan, “Type 2 Diabetes in Asians: Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Effectiveness of Behavioral Intervention at Individual and Population Levels,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 417–439, 2012.
- Alan R. Sinaiko, and Sonia Caprio, “Insulin Resistance,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 11–15, 2012.
- Aleksandra Lawniczak, and Zbigniew Kmiec, “Age-related changes of skeletal muscles: physiology, pathology and regenera tion,” Postepy Higieny I Medycyny Doswiadczalnej, vol. 66, pp. 392–400, 2012.
- Konrad Talbot, Hoau-Yan Wang, Hala Kazi, Li-Ying Han, Kalindi P. Bakshi, Andres Stucky, Robert L. Fuino, Krista R. Kawaguchi, Andrew J. Samoyedny, Robert S. Wilson, Zoe Arvanitakis, Julie A. Schneider, Bryan A. Wolf, David A. Bennett, John Q. Trojanowski, and Steven E. Arnold, “Demonstrated brain insulin resistance in Alzheimer’s disease patients is associated with IGF-1 resistance, IRS-1 dysregulation, and cognitive decline,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 1316–1338, 2012.
- J. Giebelstein, G. Poschmann, K. Hojlund, W. Schechinger, J. W. Dietrich, K. Levin, H. Beck-Nielsen, K. Podwojski, K. Stuehler, H. E. Meyer, and H. H. Klein, “The proteomic signature of insulin-resistant human skeletal muscle reveals increased glycolytic and decreased mitochondrial enzymes,” Diabetologia, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1114–1127, 2012.
- Tony Tiganis, “PTP1B and TCPTP - nonredundant phosphatases in insulin signaling and glucose homeostasis,” FEBS Journal, vol. 280, no. 2, pp. 445–458, 2012.
- Barbara A. Gower, Laura Lee Goree, Paula C. Chandler-Laney, Amy C. Ellis, Krista Casazza, and Wesley M. Granger, “A higher-carbohydrate, lower-fat diet reduces fasting glucose concentration and improves beta-cell function in individuals with impaired fasting gluco se,” Metabolism-Clinical and Experimental, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 358–365, 2012.
- Tamara R. Castaneda, William Abplanalp, Sung Hee Um, Paul T. Pfluger, Brigitte Schrott, Kimberly Brown, Erin Grant, Larissa Carnevalli, Stephen C. Benoit, Donald A. Morgan, Dean Gilham, David Y. Hui, Kamal Rahmouni, George Thomas, Sara C. Kozma, Deborah J. Clegg, and Matthias H. Tschoep, “Metabolic Control by S6 Kinases Depends on Dietary Lipids,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 3, 2012.
- Mariana Verdelho Machado, Duarte M. S. Ferreira, Rui E. Castro, Ana Rita Silvestre, Teresinha Evangelista, Joao Coutinho, Fatima Carepa, Adilia Costa, Cecilia M. P. Rodrigues, and Helena Cortez-Pinto, “Liver and Muscle in Morbid Obesity: The Interplay of Fatty Liver and Insuli n Resistance,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 2, 2012.
- Yolanda Gomez-Perez, Gabriela Capllonch-Amer, Magdalena Gianotti, Isabel Llado, and Ana M. Proenza, “Long-term high-fat-diet feeding induces skeletal muscle mitochondrial bioge nesis in rats in a sex-dependent and muscle-type specific manner,” Nutrition & Metabolism, vol. 9, 2012.
- Fumiko Nagatomo, Hidemi Fujino, Hiroyo Kondo, Isao Takeda, Kinsuke Tsuda, and Akihiko Ishihara, “High-fat diet-induced reduction of peroxisome proliferator–activated receptor-γ coactivator-1α messenger RNA levels and oxidative capacity in the soleus muscle of rats with metabolic syndrome,” Nutrition Research, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 144–151, 2012.
- Fernando R. Santos, Maggie K. Diamond-Stanic, Mujalin Prasannarong, and Erik J. Henriksen, “Contribution of the serine kinase c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) to oxidant- induced insulin resistance in isolated rat skeletal muscle,” Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 231–236, 2012.
- Akihiko Ishihara, Fumiko Nagatomo, Hidemi Fujino, Hiroyo Kondo, and Kinsuke Tsuda, “Lifestyle-related disease and skeletal muscle: A review,” The Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 2012.
- Carmen E. Perrone, Dwight A.L. Mattocks, Jason D. Plummer, Sridar V. Chittur, Rob Mohney, Katie Vignola, David S. Orentreich, and Norman Orentreich, “Genomic and Metabolic Responses to Methionine-Restricted and Methionine-Restricted, Cysteine-Supplemented Diets in Fischer 344 Rat Inguinal Adipose Tissue, Liver and Quadriceps Muscle,” Journal of Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 132–157, 2012.
- Xuebao Zhang, and Kezhong Zhang, “Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress-Associated Lipid Droplet Formation and Type II Diabetes,” Biochemistry Research International, vol. 2012, pp. 1–5, 2012.
- Sandro M. Hirabara, Renata Gorjão, Marco A. Vinolo, Alice C. Rodrigues, Renato T. Nachbar, and Rui Curi, “Molecular Targets Related to Inflammation and Insulin Resistance and Potential Interventions,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–16, 2012.
- Oriana del Rocío Cruz Guzmán, Ana Laura Chávez García, and Maricela Rodríguez-Cruz, “Muscular Dystrophies at Different Ages: Metabolic and Endocrine Alterations,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- Carol Góis Leandro, Marco Fidalgo, Adriano Bento-Santos, Filippe Falcão-Tebas, Diogo Vasconcelos, Raul Manhães-de-Castro, Angelo Rafael Carpinelli, Sandro Massao Hirabara, and Rui Curi, “Maternal Moderate Physical Training during Pregnancy Attenuates the Effects of a Low-Protein Diet on the Impaired Secretion of Insulin in Rats: Potential Role for Compensation of Insulin Resistance and Preventing Gestational Diabetes Mellitus,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- Kay Ohlendieck, “Pathobiochemical Changes in Diabetic Skeletal Muscle as Revealed by Mass-Spectrometry-Based Proteomics,” Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 2012, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- Erica J. Graham, and Frederick R. Adler, “Long-term models of oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage in insulin resistance progression,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, 2013.
- Hung-Wen Liu, Saleh Mahmood, Malathi Srinivasan, Dominic J. Smiraglia, and Mulchand S. Patel, “Developmental programming in skeletal muscle in response to overnourishment in the immediate postnatal life in rats,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 2013.
- Cristoforo Silvestri, and Vincenzo Di Marzo, “The Endocannabinoid System in Energy Homeostasis and the Etiopathology of Metabolic Disorders,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 475–490, 2013.
- S.E. Mazibuko, C.J.F. Muller, E. Joubert, D. de Beer, R. Johnson, A.R. Opoku, and J. Louw, “Amelioration of palmitate-induced insulin resistance in C2C12 muscle cells by rooibos (Aspalathus linearis),” Phytomedicine, 2013.
- Santica M. Marcovina, Cesare Sirtori, Andrea Peracino, Mihai Gheorghiade, Peggy Borum, Giuseppe Remuzzi, and Hossein Ardehali, “Translating the basic knowledge of mitochondrial functions to metabolic therapy: role of L-carnitine,” Translational Research, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 73–84, 2013.
- Ellen de Graaf-Roelfsema, “Glucose homeostasis and the enteroinsular axis in the horse: A possible role in equine metabolic syndrome,” The Veterinary Journal, 2013.
- Hyo-Bum Kwak, “Exercise and obesity-induced insulin resistance in skeletal muscle,” Integrative Medicine Research, 2013.
- Da Li, Ning Luo, Qiang Ma, Shu-Zhuang Li, Qiang Shi, Yu Cao, and Shi-Sheng Zhou, “Excessive nicotinic acid increases methyl consumption and hydrogen peroxide generation in rats,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 8–12, 2013.
- Hairui Yuan, Yanmei Niu, Xiaolei Liu, Fengying Yang, Wenyan Niu, and Li Fu, “Proteomic Analysis of Skeletal Muscle in Insulin-Resistant Mice: Response t o 6-Week Aerobic Exercise,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 1, 2013.
- Wagner Silva Dantas, Bruno Gualano, Michele Patrocínio Rocha, Cristiano Roberto Grimaldi Barcellos, Viviane dos Reis Vieira Yance, and José Antonio Miguel Marcondes, “Metabolic Disturbance in PCOS: Clinical and Molecular Effects on Skeletal Muscle Tissue,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2013, pp. 1–7, 2013.