- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 506762, 8 pages
The Immunoexpression of FSH-R in the Ductuli Efferentes and the Epididymis of Men and Rat: Effect of FSH on the Morphology and Steroidogenic Activity of Rat Epididymal Epithelial Cells In Vitro
1Department of Histology and Embryology, Pomeranian Medical University, 72 Powstańców Wlkp. Street, 70-111 Szczecin, Poland
2Department of Urology, Pomeranian Medical University, 72 Powstańców Wlkp. Street, 70-111 Szczecin, Poland
3Department of Biochemistry and Human Nutrition, Pomeranian Medical University, 48 Żołnierska Street, 71-210 Szczecin, Poland
Received 20 July 2009; Revised 20 November 2009; Accepted 5 March 2010
Academic Editor: Pavel Hozak
Copyright © 2010 Małgorzata Świder-Al-Amawi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. W. Hamilton and D. W. Fawcett, “In vitro synthesis of cholesterol and testosterone from acetate by rat epididymis and vas deferens,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 693–695, 1970.
- A. I. Frankel and K. B. Eik-Nes, “The metabolism of steroids in the rabbit epididymis,” Endocrinology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 646–652, 1970.
- G. L. Kumari, I. S. Allag, R. P. Das, and J. K. Datta, “Regional differences in steroidogenesis and hormone levels in the epididymis and vas deferens of adult rats,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 267–281, 1980.
- J. Simard, M. H. Melner, N. Breton, et al., “Characterization of macaque 3 beta-hydroxy-5-ene steroid dehydrogenase/ isomerase: structural and expression in steroidogenic and peripherial tissue in primate,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 101–110, 1991.
- M. H. Vazquez, M. A. de Larminat, E. Gurpide, C. Scorticati, and J. A. Blaquier, “Androgen metabolism in the human epididymis. Effect of in vivo estrogen administration,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 239–244, 1986.
- B. Robaire and N. A. Henderson, “Actions of 5-reductase inhibitors on the epididymis,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 250, no. 1-2, pp. 190–195, 2006.
- A. Carpino, F. Romeo, and V. Rago, “Aromatase immunolocalization in human ductuli afferentes and proximal ductus epididymis,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 204, no. 3, pp. 217–220, 2004.
- A. Hejmej, M. Gorazd, K. Kosiniak-Kamysz, B. Wiszniewska, J. Sadowska, and B. Bilińska, “Expression of aromatase and oestrogen receptors in reproductive tissues of the stallion and a single cryptorchid visualised by means of immunohistochemistry,” Domestic Animal Endocrinology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 534–547, 2005.
- A. C. Pereyra-Martinez, C. E. Roselli, H. L. Stadelman, and J. A. Resko, “Cytochrome p450 aromatase in testis and epididymis of male rhesus monkeys,” Endocrine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2001.
- D. Shayu and A. J. Rao, “Expression of functional aromatase in the epididymis: role of androgens and LH in modulation of expression and activity,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 249, no. 1-2, pp. 40–50, 2006.
- B. Wiszniewska, “Primary culture of the rat epididymal epithelial cells as a source of oestrogen,” Andrologia, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 180–187, 2002.
- M. Świder-Al-Amawi, M. Marchlewicz, A. Kolasa, L. Wenda-Różewicka, and B. Wiszniewska, “Rat epididymal epithelial cells and 17-estradiol synthesis under hCG stimulation in vitro,” Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 255–263, 2007.
- B. Wiszniewska, “Steroidogenic characteristics of in vitro cultured epididymal epithelial cells of the rat,” Reproductive Biology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 60–66, 2001.
- C. L. Dahia and A. J. Rao, “Demonstration of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor in cauda epididymis of rat,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 98–106, 2006.
- J. D. Bancroft and M. Gamble, Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques, Churchill Livingstone, London, UK, 2002.
- H. Krishnamurthy, N. Danilovich, C. R. Morales, and M. R. Sairam, “Qualitative and quantitative decline in spermatogenesis of the follicle-stimulating hormone receptor knockout (FORKO) mouse,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1146–1159, 2000.
- M. R. Sairam and H. Krishnamurthy, “The role of follicle-stimulating hormone in spermatogenesis: lessons from knockout animal models,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 601–608, 2001.
- A. Grover, C. E. Smith, M. Gregory, D. G. Cyr, M. R. Sairam, and L. Hermo, “Effects of FSH receptor deletion on epididymal tubules and sperm morphology, numbers, and motility,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 135–144, 2005.
- H. Krishnamurthy, P. S. Babu, C. R. Morales, and M. Ram Sairam, “Delay in sexual maturity of the follicle-stimulating hormone receptor knockout male mouse,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 522–531, 2001.
- H. Krishnamurthy, R. Kats, N. Danilovich, D. Javeshghani, and M. R. Sairam, “Intercellular communication between Sertoli cells and Leydig cells in the absence of follicle-stimulating hormone-receptor signaling,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 1201–1207, 2001.
- L.-Y. Cai, T. Kato, K. Ito, et al., “Expression of porcine FSH subunit promoter-driven herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase gene in transgenic rats,” Journal of Reproduction and Development, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 201–209, 2007.
- C. L. Dahia, P. Petrusz, S. H. Hall, and A. J. Rao, “Effect of deprivation of endogenous follicle stimulating hormone on rat epididymis: a histological evaluation,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 331–337, 2008.
- M. Świder-Al-Amawi, M. Marchlewicz, B. Wiszniewska, and L. Wenda-Różewicka, “Effect of hCG on the morphology of rat epididymal epithelial cells in vitro,” Folia Morphologica, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 489–491, 2003.
- R. A. Hess, “Estrogen in the adult male reproductive tract: a review,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 1, article 52, 2003.
- C. A. Oliveira, A. B. Victor-Costa, and R. A. Hess, “Cellular and regional distributions of ubiquitin-proteasome and endocytotic pathway components in the epithelium of rat efferent ductules and initial segment of the epididymis,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 590–601, 2009.
- R. Nie, Q. Zhou, E. Jassim, P. T. K. Saunders, and R. A. Hess, “Differential expression of estrogen receptors and in the reproductive tracts of adult male dogs and cats,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1161–1168, 2002.
- Q. Zhou, R. Nie, G. S. Prins, P. T. K. Saunders, B. S. Katzenellenbogen, and R. A. Hess, “Localization of androgen and estrogen receptors in adult male mouse reproductive tract,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 870–881, 2002.
- K.-H. Lee, R. A. Hess, J. M. Bahr, D. B. Lubahn, J. Taylor, and D. Bunick, “Estrogen receptor has a functional role in the mouse rete testis and efferent ductules,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1873–1880, 2000.
- K. Toda, T. Okada, Y. Hayashi, and T. Saibara, “Preserved tissue structure of efferent ductules in aromatase-deficient mice,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 137–146, 2008.
- F. Yasuhara, G. R. O. Gomes, E. R. Siu, et al., “Effects of the antiestrogen fulvestrant (ICI 182,780) on gene expression of the rat efferent ductules,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 432–441, 2008.
- G. A. Cornwall, H. H. von Horsten, D. Swartz, S. Johnson, K. Chau, and S. Whelly, “Extracellular quality control in the epididymis,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 500–507, 2007.
- R. A. Hess and K. Carnes, “The role of estrogen in testis and the male reproductive tract: a review and species comparison,” Animal Reproduction, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5–30, 2004.
- C. A. Oliviera, K. Carnes, L. R. Franca, L. Hermo, and R. A. Hess, “Aquaporin-1 and -9 are differentially regulated by oestrogen in the efferent ductule epithelium and initial segment of the epididymis,” Biology of the Cell, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 385–395, 2005.
- P. Picciarelli-Lima, A. G. Oliveira, A. M. Reis, et al., “Effects of 3-beta-diol, an androgen metabolite with intrinsic estrogen-like effects, in modulating the aquaporin-9 expression in the rat efferent ductules,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 4, article 51, 2006.
- R. Ruz, M. Gregory, C. E. Smith, et al., “Expression of aquaporins in the efferent ductules, sperm counts, and sperm motility in estrogen receptor-alpha deficient mice fed lab chow versus casein,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 226–237, 2006.
- Q. Zhou, L. Clarke, R. Nie, et al., “Estrogen action and male fertility: roles of the sodium/hydrogen exchanger-3 and fluid reabsorption in reproductive tract function,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 24, pp. 14132–14137, 2001.
- A. Kolasa, B. Wiszniewska, M. Marchlewicz, and L. Wenda-Różewicka, “Localisation of oestrogen receptors (ER and ER) in the human and rat epididymides,” Folia Morphologica, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 467–469, 2003.
- M. H. Tong and W.-C. Song, “Estrogen sulfotransferase: discrete and androgen-dependent expression in the male reproductive tract and demonstration of an in vivo function in the mouse epididymis,” Endocrinology, vol. 143, no. 8, pp. 3144–3151, 2002.
- W.-C. Song, “Biochemistry and reproductive endocrinology of estrogen sulfotransferase,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 948, pp. 43–50, 2001.