- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 510682, 10 pages
Nanofibers Offer Alternative Ways to the Treatment of Skin Infections
Department of Microbiology, University of Stellenbosch, Matieland, Stellenbosch 7602, South Africa
Received 18 March 2010; Accepted 8 June 2010
Academic Editor: Effie Tsakalidou
Copyright © 2010 T. D. J. Heunis and L. M. T. Dicks. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [19 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Purushothaman Kuppan, Kirthanashri S. Vasanthan, Dhakshinamoorthy Sundaramurthi, Uma Maheswari Krishnan, and Swaminathan Sethuraman, “ Development of Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate- co -3-hydroxyvalerate) Fibers for Skin Tissue Engineering: Effects of Topography, Mechanical, and Chemical Stimuli ,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 3156–3165, 2011.
- Tiaan Heunis, Osama Bshena, Bert Klumperman, and Leon Dicks, “Release of Bacteriocins from Nanofibers Prepared with Combinations of Poly(D,L-lactide) (PDLLA) and Poly(Ethylene Oxide) (PEO),” International Journal Of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 2158–2173, 2011.
- Osama Bshena, Tiaan D. J. Heunis, Leon M. T. Dicks, and Bert Klumperman, “Antimicrobial fibers: therapeutic possibilities and recent advances,” Future Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 14, pp. 1821–1847, 2011.
- A. Brandelli, “Nanostructures as Promising Tools for Delivery of Antimicrobial Peptides,” Mini-Reviews In Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 731–741, 2012.
- Dhakshinamoorthy Sundaramurthi, Kirthanashri Srinivasan Vasanthan, Purushothaman Kuppan, Uma Maheswari Krishnan, and Swaminathan Sethuraman, “Electrospun nanostructured chitosan–poly(vinyl alcohol) scaffolds: a biomimetic extracellular matrix as dermal substitute,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 045005, 2012.
- D. Gawkowski, and M.L. Chikindas, “Non-dairy probiotic beverages: the next step into human health,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 127–142, 2012.
- Amir R. Nasir, and Sara A. Brenner, “Think Small,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 580–587, 2012.
- Priyanka Prabhu, Vandana Patravale, and Medha Joshi, “Nanocarriers for effective topical delivery of anti-infectives,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 491–503, 2012.
- Romana Rosic, Petra Kocbek, Jan Pelipenko, and Julijana Kristl, “Nanofibers and their biomedical use,” Acta Pharmaceutica, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 295–304, 2013.
- Aditi Subramanian, Jonathan Nip, Roshan James, Xiaojun Yu, Aja Aravamudhan, Sangamesh G. Kumbar, Matthew D. Harmon, and Daisy M. Ramos, “Osteoinductive Small Molecules: Growth Factor Alternatives for Bone Tissue Engineering,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 19, no. 19, pp. 3420–3428, 2013.
- Natthan Charernsriwilaiwat, Theerasak Rojanarata, Tanasait Ngawhirunpat, Monrudee Sukma, and Praneet Opanasopit, “Electrospun chitosan-based nanofiber mats loaded with Garcinia mangostana extracts,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2013.
- Maria Andonova, and Valentina Urumova, “Immune surveillance mechanisms of the skin against the stealth infection strategy of Pseudomonas aeruginosa—Review,” Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 2013.
- Pedro L Granja, Paulo J Bartolo, Rúben F Pereira, and Cristina C Barrias, “Advanced biofabrication strategies for skin regeneration and repair,” Nanomedicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 603–621, 2013.
- L. Amalorpava Mary, T. Senthilram, S. Suganya, L. Nagarajan, J. Venugopal, S. Ramakrishna, and V. R. Giri Dev, “Centrifugal spun ultrafine fibrous web as a potential drug delivery vehicle,” Express Polymer Letters, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 238–248, 2013.
- Daikelly Iglesias Braghirolli, Daniela Steffens, Kerlin Quintiliano, Gerson Arisoly Xavier Acasigua, Douglas Gamba, Roland A. Fleck, Cesar L. Petzhold, and Patricia Pranke, “ The effect of sterilization methods on electronspun poly(lactide- co -glycolide) and subsequent adhesion efficiency of mesenchymal stem cells ,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 2013.
- Elham Hoveizi, Mohammad Nabiuni, Kazem Parivar, Sareh Rajabi-Zeleti, and Shima Tavakol, “Functionalisation and surface modification of electrospun polylactic acid scaffold for tissue engineering,” Cell Biology International, 2013.
- Nicolás I. Torres, Katia Sutyak Noll, Shiqi Xu, Ji Li, Qingrong Huang, Patrick J. Sinko, Mónica B. Wachsman, and Michael L. Chikindas, “Safety, Formulation and In Vitro Antiviral Activity of the Antimicrobial Peptide Subtilosin Against Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1,” Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 26–35, 2013.
- Jayesh J. Ahire, Ramesh Neppalli, Tiaan D. J. Heunis, Albert J. van Reenen, and Leon M. T. Dicks, “2,3-Dihydroxybenzoic Acid Electrospun into Poly(d,l-lactide) (PDLLA)/Poly(ethylene oxide) (PEO) Nanofibers Inhibited the Growth of Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Bacteria,” Current Microbiology, 2014.
- Timothy D Arthur, Veronica L Cavera, and Michael L Chikindas, “On bacteriocin delivery systems and potential applications,” Future Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 235–248, 2014.