- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 617521, 8 pages
Drug Resistance in Visceral Leishmaniasis
Department for Interventions in Health-Care Facilities, Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 15123 Athens, Greece
Received 29 June 2009; Revised 10 August 2009; Accepted 30 August 2009
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2010 Helena C. Maltezou. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [60 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Simona John von Freyend, Heidi Rosenqvist, Annette Fink, Inga Maria Melzer, Joachim Clos, Ole Nørregaard Jensen, and Martin Wiese, “LmxMPK4, an essential mitogen-activated protein kinase of Leishmania mexicana is phosphorylated and activated by the STE7-like protein kinase LmxMKK5,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 969–978, 2010.
- Daniel Gomes de Alvarenga, Patricia Maria Fonseca Escalda, Maria Tereza Ferreira Duenhas Monreal, and Alexandre Sylvio Vieira da Costa, “Visceral leishmaniasis: retrospective study on factors associated with lethality,” Revista Da Sociedade Brasileira De Medicina Tropical, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 194–197, 2010.
- Piero L. Olliaro, “Drug combinations for visceral leishmaniasis,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 595–602, 2010.
- Androula Pavli, and Helena C. Maltezou, “Leishmaniasis, an emerging infection in travelers,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. e1032–e1039, 2010.
- Ruben t'Kindt, Richard A. Scheltema, Andris Jankevics, Kirstyn Brunker, Suman Rijal, Jean-Claude Dujardin, Rainer Breitling, David G. Watson, Graham H. Coombs, and Saskia Decuypere, “Metabolomics to Unveil and Understand Phenotypic Diversity between Pathogen Populations,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 4, no. 11, 2010.
- Tatiana S. Tiuman, Adriana O. Santos, Tânia Ueda-Nakamura, Benedito P. Dias Filho, and Celso V. Nakamura, “Recent advances in leishmaniasis treatment,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. e525–e532, 2011.
- Valter Viana Andrade-Neto, Nuccia Nicole Theodore Cicco, Edézio Ferreira Cunha-Junior, Marilene Marcuzzo Canto-Cavalheiro, Georgia Correa Atella, and Eduardo Caio Torres-Santos, “The pharmacological inhibition of sterol biosynthesis in Leishmania is counteracted by enhancement of LDL endocytosis,” Acta Tropica, vol. 119, no. 2-3, pp. 194–198, 2011.
- Radek Jorda, Nina Sacerdoti-Sierra, Jirí Voller, Libor Havlícek, Katerina Krácalíková, Matthew W. Nowicki, Abedelmajeed Nasereddin, Vladimír Kryštof, Miroslav Strnad, Malcolm D. Walkinshaw, and Charles L. Jaffe, “Anti-leishmanial activity of disubstituted purines and related pyrazolo[4,3-d]pyrimidines,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 4233–4237, 2011.
- Tim Van Assche, Maartje Deschacht, Raquel A. Inocêncio da Luz, Louis Maes, and Paul Cos, “Leishmania–macrophage interactions: Insights into the redox biology,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 337–351, 2011.
- Odalys Blanco, Yuliannis Lugones, Elaine Diaz, and Lianet Monzote, “In vitro ACTIVITY OF THE CLINICAL PULMONARY SURFACTANT SURFACEN (R) AGAINST Leishmania amazonensis,” Revista Do Instituto De Medicina Tropical De Sao Paulo, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 235–238, 2011.
- Shanthi Kappagoda, Upinder Singh, and Brian G. Blackburn, “Antiparasitic Therapy,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 561–583, 2011.
- Joshua Muli Mutiso, John Chege Macharia, Mustafa Barasa, Evans Taracha, Alain J. Bourdichon, and Michael M. Gicheru, “In vitro AND in vivo ANTILEISHMANIAL EFFICACY OF A COMBINATION THERAPY OF DIMINAZENE AND ARTESUNATE AGAINST Leishmania donovani IN BALB/C MICE,” Revista Do Instituto De Medicina Tropical De Sao Paulo, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 129–132, 2011.
- Claus Hansen, Erik Wind Hansen, Helle Rüsz Hansen, Bente Gammelgaard, and Stefan Stürup, “Reduction of Sb(V) in a Human Macrophage Cell Line Measured by HPLC-ICP-MS,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 144, no. 1-3, pp. 234–243, 2011.
- Philippe M. Loiseau, Suman Gupta, Aditya Verma, Saumya Srivastava, S. K. Puri, Faten Sliman, Marie Normand-Bayle, and Didier Desmaele, “In Vitro Activities of New 2-Substituted Quinolines against Leishmania donovani,” Antimicrobial Agents And Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1777–1780, 2011.
- Jayeeta Roychoudhury, Roma Sinha, and Nahid Ali, “Therapy with Sodium Stibogluconate in Stearylamine-Bearing Liposomes Confers Cure against SSG-Resistant Leishmania donovani in BALB/c Mice,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 3, 2011.
- Gianni Colotti, and Andrea Ilari, “Polyamine metabolism in Leishmania: from arginine to trypanothione,” Amino Acids, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 269–285, 2011.
- H. Van de Ven, M. Vermeersch, A. Matheeussen, J. Vandervoort, W. Weyenberg, S. Apers, P. Cos, L. Maes, and A. Ludwig, “PLGA nanoparticles loaded with the antileishmanial saponin β-aescin: Factor influence study and in vitro efficacy evaluation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 420, no. 1, pp. 122–132, 2011.
- John G. Mina, Jackie A. Mosely, Hayder Z. Ali, Paul W. Denny, and Patrick G. Steel, “Exploring Leishmania major Inositol Phosphorylceramide Synthase (LmjIPCS): Insights into the ceramide binding domain,” Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1823–1830, 2011.
- Lynsey-Ann Burke, Paul K. Fyfe, William N. Hunter, Keri L. Barrack, and Lindsay B. Tulloch, “Structure of recombinant Leishmania donovani pteridine reductase reveals a disordered active site,” Acta Crystallographica Section F-Structural Biology And Crystallization Com, vol. 67, pp. 33–37, 2011.
- Laetitia Vincensini, Thierry Blisnick, and Philippe Bastin, “The importance of model organisms to study cilia and flagella biology,” Biologie Aujourd'hui, vol. 205, no. 1, pp. 5–28, 2011.
- Ivy Hurwitz, Heidi Hillesland, Annabeth Fieck, Pradeep Das, and Ravi Durvasula, “The paratransgenic sand fly: a platform for control of Leishmania transmission.,” Parasites & vectors, vol. 4, pp. 82, 2011.
- Abhinav Grover, Sushil Kumar Shakyawar, Prakash Saudagar, Vikash Kumar Dubey, and Durai Sundar, “Epitopic analysis of potential vaccine candidate in Leishmania infantum for development of human vaccine,” Letters in Drug Design and Discovery, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 698–705, 2012.
- Marco Pieroni, Sisay Girmay, Dianqing Sun, Rajnish Sahu, Babu L. Tekwani, and Ghee T. Tan, “Synthesis and Structure-Activity Relationships of Lansine Analogues as Antileishmanial Agents,” ChemMedChem, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1895–1900, 2012.
- Nishi Shakya, Shraddha A. Sane, Wahajul Haq, and Suman Gupta, “Augmentation of antileishmanial efficacy of miltefosine in combination with tuftsin against experimental visceral leishmaniasis,” Parasitology Research, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 563–570, 2012.
- Artur T. Cordeiro, Patricia R. Feliciano, Matheus P. Pinheiro, and M. Cristina Nonato, “Crystal structure of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase from Leishmania major,” Biochimie, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 1739–1748, 2012.
- Lucie Paloque, Pierre Verhaeghe, Magali Casanova, Caroline Castera-Ducros, Aurélien Dumètre, Litaty Mbatchi, Sébastien Hutter, Manel Kraiem-M'Rabet, Michèle Laget, Vincent Remusat, Sylvain Rault, Pascal Rathelot, Nadine Azas, and Patrice Vanelle, “Discovery of a new antileishmanial hit in 8-nitroquinoline series,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 54, pp. 75–86, 2012.
- H. Van de Ven, C. Paulussen, P.B. Feijens, A. Matheeussen, P. Rombaut, P. Kayaert, G. Van den Mooter, W. Weyenberg, P. Cos, L. Maes, and A. Ludwig, “PLGA nanoparticles and nanosuspensions with amphotericin B: Potent in vitro and in vivo alternatives to Fungizone and AmBisome,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 795–803, 2012.
- Annarita Fiorillo, Gianni Colotti, Alberto Boffi, Paola Baiocco, and Andrea Ilari, “The Crystal Structures of the Tryparedoxin-Tryparedoxin Peroxidase Couple Unveil the Structural Determinants of Leishmania Detoxification Pathway,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 6, no. 8, 2012.
- Saied Soflaei, Abdolhossein Dalimi, Amir Abdoli, Mahdi Kamali, Vahid Nasiri, Mojtaba Shakibaie, and Mahdi Tat, “Anti-leishmanial activities of selenium nanoparticles and selenium dioxide on Leishmania infantum,” Comparative Clinical Pathology, 2012.
- Nisha Singh, Manish Kumar, and Rakesh Kumar Singh, “Leishmaniasis: Current status of available drugs and new potential drug targets,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 485–497, 2012.
- Kobets, Grekov, and Lipoldová, “Leishmaniasis: Prevention, parasite detection and treatment,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1443–1474, 2012.
- Bruce Y. Lee, Kristina M. Bacon, Mirat Shah, Sarah Beth Kitchen, Diana L. Connor, and Rachel B. Slayton, “The Economic Value of a Visceral Leishmaniasis Vaccine in Bihar State, India,” American Journal Of Tropical Medicine And Hygiene, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 417–425, 2012.
- Harsh Pawar, Nandini A. Sahasrabuddhe, Santosh Renuse, Shivakumar Keerthikumar, Jyoti Sharma, Ghantasala. S. Sameer Kumar, Abhilash Venugopal, Nirujogi Raja Sekhar, Dhanashree S. Kelkar, Harshal Nemade, Sweta N. Khobragade, Babylakshmi Muthusamy, Kumaran Kandasamy, H. C. Harsha, Raghothama Chaerkady, Milind S. Patole, and Akhilesh Pandey, “A proteogenomic approach to map the proteome of an unsequenced pathogen - Leishmania donovani,” Proteomics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 832–844, 2012.
- Ravinder Ravinder, Bhaskar Bhaskar, Sonali Gangwar, and Neena Goyal, “Development of luciferase expressing Leishmania donovani axenic amastigotes as primary model for in vitro screening of antileishmanial compounds,” Current Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 696–700, 2012.
- Mayilsamy Muniaraj, Rajaiah Paramasivan, Thirupathi Mariappan, Natarajan Arunachalam, and Prabhat Kumar Sinha, “The treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar) in India: no obvious signs of long-term success,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 770–772, 2012.
- S.N. Suryawanshi, Avinash Tiwari, Naveen Chandra, Ramesh Ramesh, and Suman Gupta, “Chemotherapy of leishmaniasis. Part XI: Synthesis and bioevaluation of novel isoxazole containing heteroretinoid and its amide derivatives,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 22, no. 21, pp. 6559–6562, 2012.
- Sílvia Vale-Costa, Nuno Vale, Joana Matos, Ana Tomás, Rui Moreira, Paula Gomes, and Maria Salomé Gomes, “Peptidomimetic and organometallic derivatives of primaquine active against Leishmania infantum,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 5774–5781, 2012.
- Sandra M. Leal, Arnold R. Romero Bohorquez, Patricia Escobar Rivero, and Vladimir V. Kouznetsov, “In Vitro Activity Against Trypanosoma cruzi and Leishmania chagasi Parasites of 2,4-Diaryl 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydroquinoline Derivatives,” Letters In Drug Design & Discovery, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 802–808, 2012.
- Magdalena Nascimento Rennó, Tanos Celmar Costa França, Dirlei Nico, Clarisa B. Palatnik-de-Sousa, Luzineide Wanderley Tinoco, and José Daniel Figueroa-Villar, “Kinetics and docking studies of two potential new inhibitors of the nucleoside hydrolase from Leishmania donovani,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 56, pp. 301–307, 2012.
- L. Imbert, R. G. Ramos, D. Libong, S. Abreu, P. M. Loiseau, and P. Chaminade, “Identification of phospholipid species affected by miltefosine action in Leishmania donovani cultures using LC-ELSD, LC-ESI/MS, and multivariate data analysis,” Analytical And Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 402, no. 3, pp. 1169–1182, 2012.
- Laetitia Vincensini, Thierry Blisnick, and Philippe Bastin, “1001 model organisms to study cilia and flagella,” Biology of the Cell, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 109–130, 2012.
- Lucie Paloque, Nicolas Vidal, Magali Casanova, Aurélien Dumètre, Pierre Verhaeghe, Daniel Parzy, and Nadine Azas, “A new, rapid and sensitive bioluminescence assay for drug screening on Leishmania,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, 2013.
- Tania C. Sorrell, Sharon C-A. Chen, Chayanika Biswas, Julianne T. Djordjevic, Xiaoming Zuo, Eckhard Boles, and Katrina A. Jolliffe, “Functional Characterization of the Hexose Transporter Hxt13p: An Efflux Pump that Mediates Resistance to Miltefosine in Yeast,” Fungal Genetics and Biology, 2013.
- Caroline Castera-Ducros, Lucie Paloque, Pierre Verhaeghe, Magali Casanova, Christophe Cantelli, Sébastien Hutter, Floriane Tanguy, Michèle Laget, Vincent Remusat, Anita Cohen, Maxime D. Crozet, Pascal Rathelot, Nadine Azas, and Patrice Vanelle, “Targeting the human parasite Leishmania donovani: Discovery of a new promising anti-infectious pharmacophore in 3-nitroimidazo[1,2-a]pyridine series,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2013.
- Suvadra Das, Partha Roy, Subhasish Mondal, Tanmoy Bera, and Arup Mukherjee, “One pot synthesis of gold nanoparticles and application in chemotherapy of wild and resistant type visceral leishmaniasis,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 107, pp. 27–34, 2013.
- Shahram Khademvatan, Neda Adibpour, Alborz Eskandari, Saeed Rezaeei, Mahmoud Hashemitabar, and Fakher Rahim, “In silico and in vitro comparative activity of novel experimental derivatives against Leishmania major and Leishmania infantum promastigotes,” Experimental Parasitology, 2013.
- Carlos S. Kückelhaus, Selma A.S. Kückelhaus, Carlos Eduardo Tosta, and Maria Imaculada Muniz-Junqueira, “Pravastatin modulates macrophage functions of Leishmania (L.) amazonensis-infected BALB/c mice,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2013.
- Sílvia Vale-Costa, Sandra Gomes-Pereira, Carlos Miguel Teixeira, Gustavo Rosa, Pedro Nuno Rodrigues, Ana Tomás, Rui Appelberg, and Maria Salomé Gomes, “Iron Overload Favors the Elimination of Leishmania infantum from Mouse Tissues through Interaction with Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 7, no. 2, 2013.
- Salma Jamal, and Vinod Scaria, “Cheminformatic models based on machine learning for pyruvate kinase inhibitors of Leishmania mexicana,” Bmc Bioinformatics, vol. 14, 2013.
- S. Vale-Costa, J. Costa-Gouveia, B. Perez, T. Silva, C. Teixeira, and P. Gomes, “N-Cinnamoylated Aminoquinolines as Promising Antileishmanial Agents,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 5112–5115, 2013.
- Shalini Asthana, Pramod K Gupta, Mohini Chaurasia, Anuradha Dube, and Manish K Chourasia, “Polymeric colloidal particulate systems: intelligent tools for intracellular targeting of antileishmanial cargos,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, pp. 1–19, 2013.
- Avinash Tiwari, Santosh Kumar, S.N. Suryawanshi, Monika Mittal, Preeti Vishwakarma, and Suman Gupta, “Chemotherapy of leishmaniasis part X: Synthesis and bioevaluation of novel terpenyl heterocycles,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 248–251, 2013.
- Azar Tahghighi, “Importance of metal complexes for development of potential leishmanicidal agents,” Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2014.
- Katkam N. Gangadhar, Kajiram Adhikari, and Teerapol Srichana, “Synthesis and evaluation of sodium deoxycholate sulfate as a lipid drug carrier to enhance the solubility, stability and safety of an amphotericin B inhalation formulation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2014.
- Dirlei Nico, Daniele Crespo Gomes, Iam Palatnik-de-Sousa, Alexandre Morrot, Marcos Palatnik, and Clarisa Beatriz Palatnik-de-Sousa, “Leishmania donovani Nucleoside Hydrolase Terminal Domains in Cross-Protective Immunotherapy Against Leishmania amazonensis Murine Infection,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Kurt S. Van Horn, Xiaohua Zhu, Trupti Pandharkar, Sihyung Yang, Brian Vesely, Manu Vanaerschot, Jean-Claude Dujardin, Suman Rijal, Dennis E Kyle, Michael Zhuo Wang, Karl A Werbovetz, and Roman Manetsch, “ Antileishmanial Activity of a Series of N 2 ,N 4 -Disubstituted Quinazoline-2,4-diamines ,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, pp. 140529160810008, 2014.
- Vadiraj S. Gopinath, Mukkavilli Rao, Rahul Shivahare, Preeti Vishwakarma, Sweta Ghose, Ashok Pradhan, Ramamohan Hindupur, Koushik Das Sarma, Suman Gupta, Sunil K. Puri, Delphine Launay, and Denis Martin, “Design, synthesis, ADME characterization and antileishmanial evaluation of novel substituted quinoline analogs,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2046–2052, 2014.
- Fábio A.E. Torres, Thais G. Passalacqua, Angela M.A. Velásquez, Rodrigo A. de Souza, Pio Colepicolo, and Márcia A.S. Graminha, “New drugs with antiprotozoal activity from marine algae: a review,” Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 265–276, 2014.
- Reetika Manhas, Pankaj Tripathi, Sameena Khan, Bhavana Sethu Lakshmi, Shambhu Krishan Lal, Venkatraman Subramanian Gowri, and Amit Sharma, “Identification and Functional Characterization of a Novel Bacterial Type Asparagine Synthetase A A tRNA SYNTHETASE PARALOG FROM LEISHMANIA DONOVANI,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 289, no. 17, pp. 12096–12108, 2014.
- Daniela Proverbio, Eva Spada, Giada Bagnagatti De Giorgi, and Roberta Perego, “ Failure of Miltefosine Treatment in Two Dogs with Natural Leishmania infantum Infection ,” Case Reports in Veterinary Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–6, 2014.