- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 617521, 8 pages
Drug Resistance in Visceral Leishmaniasis
Department for Interventions in Health-Care Facilities, Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 15123 Athens, Greece
Received 29 June 2009; Revised 10 August 2009; Accepted 30 August 2009
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2010 Helena C. Maltezou. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [41 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Simona John von Freyend, Heidi Rosenqvist, Annette Fink, Inga Maria Melzer, Joachim Clos, Ole Nørregaard Jensen, and Martin Wiese, “LmxMPK4, an essential mitogen-activated protein kinase of Leishmania mexicana is phosphorylated and activated by the STE7-like protein kinase LmxMKK5,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 969–978, 2010.
- Daniel Gomes de Alvarenga, Patricia Maria Fonseca Escalda, Maria Tereza Ferreira Duenhas Monreal, and Alexandre Sylvio Vieira da Costa, “Visceral leishmaniasis: retrospective study on factors associated with leth ality,” Revista Da Sociedade Brasileira De Medicina Tropical, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 194–197, 2010.
- Piero L. Olliaro, “Drug combinations for visceral leishmaniasis,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 595–602, 2010.
- Androula Pavli, and Helena C. Maltezou, “Leishmaniasis, an emerging infection in travelers,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. e1032–e1039, 2010.
- Ruben t'Kindt, Richard A. Scheltema, Andris Jankevics, Kirstyn Brunker, Suman Rijal, Jean-Claude Dujardin, Rainer Breitling, David G. Watson, Graham H. Coombs, and Saskia Decuypere, “Metabolomics to Unveil and Understand Phenotypic Diversity between Pathogen Populations,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 4, no. 11, 2010.
- Tatiana S. Tiuman, Adriana O. Santos, Tânia Ueda-Nakamura, Benedito P. Dias Filho, and Celso V. Nakamura, “Recent advances in leishmaniasis treatment,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. e525–e532, 2011.
- Valter Viana Andrade-Neto, Nuccia Nicole Theodore Cicco, Edézio Ferreira Cunha-Junior, Marilene Marcuzzo Canto-Cavalheiro, Georgia Correa Atella, and Eduardo Caio Torres-Santos, “The pharmacological inhibition of sterol biosynthesis in Leishmania is counteracted by enhancement of LDL endocytosis,” Acta Tropica, vol. 119, no. 2-3, pp. 194–198, 2011.
- Radek Jorda, Nina Sacerdoti-Sierra, Jirí Voller, Libor Havlícek, Katerina Krácalíková, Matthew W. Nowicki, Abedelmajeed Nasereddin, Vladimír Kryštof, Miroslav Strnad, Malcolm D. Walkinshaw, and Charles L. Jaffe, “Anti-leishmanial activity of disubstituted purines and related pyrazolo[4,3-d]pyrimidines,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 4233–4237, 2011.
- Tim Van Assche, Maartje Deschacht, Raquel A. Inocêncio da Luz, Louis Maes, and Paul Cos, “Leishmania–macrophage interactions: Insights into the redox biology,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 337–351, 2011.
- Odalys Blanco, Yuliannis Lugones, Elaine Diaz, and Lianet Monzote, “In vitro ACTIVITY OF THE CLINICAL PULMONARY SURFACTANT SURFACEN (R) AGAINST Leishmania amazonensis,” Revista Do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 235–238, 2011.
- Shanthi Kappagoda, Upinder Singh, and Brian G. Blackburn, “Antiparasitic Therapy,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 561–583, 2011.
- Joshua Muli Mutiso, John Chege Macharia, Mustafa Barasa, Evans Taracha, Alain J. Bourdichon, and Michael M. Gicheru, “In vitro AND in vivo ANTILEISHMANIAL EFFICACY OF A COMBINATION THERAPY OF D IMINAZENE AND ARTESUNATE AGAINST Leishmania donovani IN BALB/C MICE,” Revista Do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 129–132, 2011.
- Claus Hansen, Erik Wind Hansen, Helle Rüsz Hansen, Bente Gammelgaard, and Stefan Stürup, “Reduction of Sb(V) in a Human Macrophage Cell Line Measured by HPLC-ICP-MS,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 144, no. 1-3, pp. 234–243, 2011.
- Philippe M. Loiseau, Suman Gupta, Aditya Verma, Saumya Srivastava, S. K. Puri, Faten Sliman, Marie Normand-Bayle, and Didier Desmaele, “In Vitro Activities of New 2-Substituted Quinolines against Leishmania dono vani,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1777–1780, 2011.
- Jayeeta Roychoudhury, Roma Sinha, and Nahid Ali, “Therapy with Sodium Stibogluconate in Stearylamine-Bearing Liposomes Confer s Cure against SSG-Resistant Leishmania donovani in BALB/c Mice,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 3, 2011.
- Gianni Colotti, and Andrea Ilari, “Polyamine metabolism in Leishmania: from arginine to trypanothione,” Amino Acids, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 269–285, 2011.
- H. Van de Ven, M. Vermeersch, A. Matheeussen, J. Vandervoort, W. Weyenberg, S. Apers, P. Cos, L. Maes, and A. Ludwig, “PLGA nanoparticles loaded with the antileishmanial saponin β-aescin: Factor influence study and in vitro efficacy evaluation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 420, no. 1, pp. 122–132, 2011.
- Keri L. Barrack, Lindsay B. Tulloch, Lynsey-Ann Burke, Paul K. Fyfe, and William N. Hunter, “Structure of recombinant Leishmania donovani pteridine reductase reveals a disordered active site,” Acta Crystallographica Section F-Structural Biology and Crystallization Com, vol. 67, pp. 33–37, 2011.
- Laetitia Vincensini, Thierry Blisnick, and Philippe Bastin, “The importance of model organisms to study cilia and flagella biology,” Biologie Aujourd'hui, vol. 205, no. 1, pp. 5–28, 2011.
- John G. Mina, Jackie A. Mosely, Hayder Z. Ali, Paul W. Denny, and Patrick G. Steel, “Exploring Leishmania major Inositol Phosphorylceramide Synthase (LmjIPCS): Insights into the ceramide binding domain,” Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1823–1830, 2011.
- Marco Pieroni, Sisay Girmay, Dianqing Sun, Rajnish Sahu, Babu L. Tekwani, and Ghee T. Tan, “Synthesis and Structure-Activity Relationships of Lansine Analogues as Antileishmanial Agents,” ChemMedChem, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1895–1900, 2012.
- Nishi Shakya, Shraddha A. Sane, Wahajul Haq, and Suman Gupta, “Augmentation of antileishmanial efficacy of miltefosine in combination with tuftsin against experimental visceral leishmaniasis,” Parasitology Research, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 563–570, 2012.
- Artur T. Cordeiro, Patricia R. Feliciano, Matheus P. Pinheiro, and M. Cristina Nonato, “Crystal structure of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase from Leishmania major,” Biochimie, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 1739–1748, 2012.
- Lucie Paloque, Pierre Verhaeghe, Magali Casanova, Caroline Castera-Ducros, Aurélien Dumètre, Litaty Mbatchi, Sébastien Hutter, Manel Kraiem-M'Rabet, Michèle Laget, Vincent Remusat, Sylvain Rault, Pascal Rathelot, Nadine Azas, and Patrice Vanelle, “Discovery of a new antileishmanial hit in 8-nitroquinoline series,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 54, pp. 75–86, 2012.
- H. Van de Ven, C. Paulussen, P.B. Feijens, A. Matheeussen, P. Rombaut, P. Kayaert, G. Van den Mooter, W. Weyenberg, P. Cos, L. Maes, and A. Ludwig, “PLGA nanoparticles and nanosuspensions with amphotericin B: Potent in vitro and in vivo alternatives to Fungizone and AmBisome,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 795–803, 2012.
- Saied Soflaei, Abdolhossein Dalimi, Amir Abdoli, Mahdi Kamali, Vahid Nasiri, Mojtaba Shakibaie, and Mahdi Tat, “Anti-leishmanial activities of selenium nanoparticles and selenium dioxide on Leishmania infantum,” Comparative Clinical Pathology, 2012.
- Nisha Singh, Manish Kumar, and Rakesh Kumar Singh, “Leishmaniasis: Current status of available drugs and new potential drug targets,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 485–497, 2012.
- Kobets, Grekov, and Lipoldová, “Leishmaniasis: Prevention, parasite detection and treatment,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1443–1474, 2012.
- Bruce Y. Lee, Kristina M. Bacon, Mirat Shah, Sarah Beth Kitchen, Diana L. Connor, and Rachel B. Slayton, “The Economic Value of a Visceral Leishmaniasis Vaccine in Bihar State, Indi a,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 417–425, 2012.
- Harsh Pawar, Nandini A. Sahasrabuddhe, Santosh Renuse, Shivakumar Keerthikumar, Jyoti Sharma, Ghantasala. S. Sameer Kumar, Abhilash Venugopal, Nirujogi Raja Sekhar, Dhanashree S. Kelkar, Harshal Nemade, Sweta N. Khobragade, Babylakshmi Muthusamy, Kumaran Kandasamy, H. C. Harsha, Raghothama Chaerkady, Milind S. Patole, and Akhilesh Pandey, “A proteogenomic approach to map the proteome of an unsequenced pathogen - L eishmania donovani,” Proteomics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 832–844, 2012.
- Mayilsamy Muniaraj, Rajaiah Paramasivan, Thirupathi Mariappan, Natarajan Arunachalam, and Prabhat Kumar Sinha, “The treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar) in India: no obvious signs of long-term success,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 770–772, 2012.
- Magdalena Nascimento Rennó, Tanos Celmar Costa França, Dirlei Nico, Clarisa B. Palatnik-de-Sousa, Luzineide Wanderley Tinoco, and José Daniel Figueroa-Villar, “Kinetics and docking studies of two potential new inhibitors of the nucleoside hydrolase from Leishmania donovani,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 56, pp. 301–307, 2012.
- L. Imbert, R. G. Ramos, D. Libong, S. Abreu, P. M. Loiseau, and P. Chaminade, “Identification of phospholipid species affected by miltefosine action in Le ishmania donovani cultures using LC-ELSD, LC-ESI/MS, and multivariate data analysis,” Analytical And Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 402, no. 3, pp. 1169–1182, 2012.
- Laetitia Vincensini, Thierry Blisnick, and Philippe Bastin, “1001 model organisms to study cilia and flagella,” Biology of the Cell, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 109–130, 2012.
- Lucie Paloque, Nicolas Vidal, Magali Casanova, Aurélien Dumètre, Pierre Verhaeghe, Daniel Parzy, and Nadine Azas, “A new, rapid and sensitive bioluminescence assay for drug screening on Leishmania,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, 2013.
- Caroline Castera-Ducros, Lucie Paloque, Pierre Verhaeghe, Magali Casanova, Christophe Cantelli, Sébastien Hutter, Floriane Tanguy, Michèle Laget, Vincent Remusat, Anita Cohen, Maxime D. Crozet, Pascal Rathelot, Nadine Azas, and Patrice Vanelle, “Targeting the human parasite Leishmania donovani: Discovery of a new promising anti-infectious pharmacophore in 3-nitroimidazo[1,2-a]pyridine series,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2013.
- Tania C. Sorrell, Sharon C-A. Chen, Chayanika Biswas, Julianne T. Djordjevic, Xiaoming Zuo, Eckhard Boles, and Katrina A. Jolliffe, “Functional Characterization of the Hexose Transporter Hxt13p: An Efflux Pump that Mediates Resistance to Miltefosine in Yeast,” Fungal Genetics and Biology, 2013.
- Shahram Khademvatan, Neda Adibpour, Alborz Eskandari, Saeed Rezaeei, Mahmoud Hashemitabar, and Fakher Rahim, “In silico and in vitro comparative activity of novel experimental derivatives against Leishmania major and Leishmania infantum promastigotes,” Experimental Parasitology, 2013.
- Carlos S. Kückelhaus, Selma A.S. Kückelhaus, Carlos Eduardo Tosta, and Maria Imaculada Muniz-Junqueira, “Pravastatin modulates macrophage functions of Leishmania (L.) amazonensis-infected BALB/c mice,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2013.
- Shalini Asthana, Pramod K Gupta, Mohini Chaurasia, Anuradha Dube, and Manish K Chourasia, “Polymeric colloidal particulate systems: intelligent tools for intracellular targeting of antileishmanial cargos,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, pp. 1–19, 2013.
- Avinash Tiwari, Santosh Kumar, S.N. Suryawanshi, Monika Mittal, Preeti Vishwakarma, and Suman Gupta, “Chemotherapy of leishmaniasis part X: Synthesis and bioevaluation of novel terpenyl heterocycles,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 248–251, 2013.