- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 743758, 9 pages
Parasitic Helminths: New Weapons against Immunological Disorders
Department of Immunology and Parasitology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan, Kitakyushu 807-8555, Japan
Received 27 July 2009; Accepted 25 November 2009
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2010 Yoshio Osada and Tamotsu Kanazawa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [29 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sun, Liu, Lv, Yang, Hu, Zheng, Hu, Cao, Fung, and Wu, “rSj16, a recombinant protein of Schistosoma japonicum-derived molecule, reduces severity of the complete Freund's adjuvant-induced adjuvant arthritis in rats' model,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 32, no. 11-12, pp. 739–748, 2010.
- C. D. Bourke, R. M. Maizels, and F. Mutapi, “Acquired immune heterogeneity and its sources in human helminth infection,” Parasitology, vol. 138, no. 02, pp. 139–159, 2010.
- Münevver Pehlivan, Murat Kürtüncü, Erdem Tüzün, Erkingül Shugaiv, Melike Mutlu, Mefküre Eraksoy, and Gülsen Akman-Demir, “The comparison of socio-economic conditions and personal hygiene habits of neuro-Behçet's disease and multiple sclerosis patients,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, vol. 214, no. 4, pp. 335–337, 2011.
- Francisca Mutapi, Natsuko Imai, Norman Nausch, Claire D. Bourke, Nadine Rujeni, Kate M. Mitchell, Nicholas Midzi, Mark E. J. Woolhouse, Rick M. Maizels, and Takafira Mduluza, “Schistosome Infection Intensity Is Inversely Related to Auto-Reactive Antibody Levels,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 5, 2011.
- John O. Fleming, “Helminths and multiple sclerosis: Will old friends give us new treatments for MS?,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 233, no. 1-2, pp. 3–5, 2011.
- F. Chiuso-Minicucci, D. Bui Van, S. F. G. Zorzella-Pezavento, R. S. Peres, L. L. W. Ishikawa, L. C. Rosa, T. G. D. FranÇA, W. M. Turato, A. F. T. Amarante, and A. Sartori, “Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis evolution was not modified by multiple infections with Strongyloides venezuelensis,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 303–308, 2011.
- Sala Horowitz, “Celiac Disease: New Directions in Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention,” Alternative and Complementary Therapies, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 92–98, 2011.
- S Perry, R Hussain, and J Parsonnet, “The impact of mucosal infections on acquisition and progression of tuberculosis,” Mucosal Immunology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 246–251, 2011.
- Jose L. Reyes, Arlett F. Espinoza-Jimenez, Marisol I. Gonzalez, Leticia Verdin, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Taenia crassiceps infection abrogates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis,” Cellular Immunology, vol. 267, no. 2, pp. 77–87, 2011.
- Shumin Sun, Xuelin Wang, Xiuping Wu, Ying Zhao, Feng Wang, Xiaolei Liu, Yanxia Song, Zhiliang Wu, and Mingyuan Liu, “Toll-like receptor activation by helminths or helminth products to alleviate inflammatory bowel disease,” Parasites and Vectors, vol. 4, no. 1, 2011.
- Yoshio Osada, and Tamotsu Kanazawa, “Schistosome: Its Benefit and Harm in Patients Suffering from Concomitant Diseases,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- Sharon Levy, “Reduced Bacterial Biodiversity Is Associated with Increased Allergy,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 120, no. 8, pp. a304–a304, 2012.
- Graham A.W. Rook, Charles L. Raison, and Christopher A. Lowry, “Can we vaccinate against depression?,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 17, no. 9-10, pp. 451–458, 2012.
- N. Rujeni, N. Nausch, N. Midzi, T. Mduluza, D. W. Taylor, and F. Mutapi, “Schistosoma haematobium infection levels determine the effect of praziquantel treatment on anti-schistosome and anti-mite antibodies,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 330–340, 2012.
- Michael F. Antolin, Kristin P. Jenkins, Carl T. Bergstrom, Bernard J. Crespi, Subhajyoti De, Angela Hancock, Kathryn A. Hanley, Thomas R. Meagher, Andres Moreno-Estrada, Randolph M. Nesse, Gilbert S. Omenn, and Stephen C. Stearns, “Evolution And Medicine In Undergraduate Education: A Prescription For All Biology Students,” Evolution, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 1991–2006, 2012.
- Graham A. W. Rook, “Hygiene Hypothesis and Autoimmune Diseases,” Clinical Reviews In Allergy & Immunology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 5–15, 2012.
- Nadine Rujeni, Norman Nausch, Claire D. Bourke, Nicholas Midzi, Takafira Mduluza, David W. Taylor, and Francisca Mutapi, “Atopy Is Inversely Related to Schistosome Infection Intensity: A Comparative Study in Zimbabwean Villages with Distinct Levels of Schistosoma haematobium Infection,” International Archives Of Allergy And Immunology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 288–298, 2012.
- Nadine Rujeni, David W. Taylor, and Francisca Mutapi, “Human Schistosome Infection and Allergic Sensitisation,” Journal of Parasitology Research, vol. 2012, pp. 1–17, 2012.
- A. Kramer, S. Bekeschus, B.M. Bröker, H. Schleibinger, B. Razavi, and O. Assadian, “Maintaining health by balancing microbial exposure and prevention of infection: the hygiene hypothesis versus the hypothesis of early immune challenge,” Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 83, pp. S29–S34, 2013.
- G. A. Rook, “Regulation of the immune system by biodiversity from the natural environment: An ecosystem service essential to health,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 110, no. 46, pp. 18360–18367, 2013.
- Dana Ben-Ami Shor, Michal Harel, Rami Eliakim, and Yehuda Shoenfeld, “The Hygiene Theory Harnessing Helminths and Their Ova to Treat Autoimmunity,” Clinical Reviews in Allergy & Immunology, 2013.
- Aaxin M. Ortiz-Flores, Yadira Ledesma-Soto, Elsa A. Calleja, Miriam Rodríguez-Sosa, Imelda Juárez, and Luis I. Terrazas, “Taenia crassiceps Infection Does Not Influence the Development of Experimental Rheumatoid Arthritis,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- Carmen Aranzamendi, Ljiljana Sofronic-Milosavljevic, and Elena Pinelli, “Helminths: Immunoregulation and Inflammatory Diseases—Which Side Are Trichinella spp. and Toxocara spp. on?,” Journal of Parasitology Research, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- M. A. Pineda, L. Al-Riyami, W. Harnett, and M. M. Harnett, “Lessons from helminth infections: ES-62 highlights new interventional approaches in rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinical & Experimental Immunology, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 13–23, 2014.
- G. A. W. Rook, C. L. Raison, and C. A. Lowry, “Microbial ‘old friends’, immunoregulation and socioeconomic status,” Clinical & Experimental Immunology, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2014.
- Xiaodi Yang, Yaping Yang, Yunyun Wang, Bin Zhan, Yuan Gu, Yuli Cheng, and Xinping Zhu, “Excretory/Secretory Products from Trichinella spiralis Adult Worms Ameliorate DSS-Induced Colitis in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 5, 2014.
- Graham A.W. Rook, Christopher A. Lowry, and Charles L. Raison, “Hygiene and other early childhood influences on the subsequent function of the immune system,” Brain Research, 2014.
- Moustapha Mbow, Sanne E. de Jong, Lynn Meurs, Souleymane Mboup, Tandakha Ndiaye Dieye, Katja Polman, and Maria Yazdanbakhsh, “Changes in immunological profile as a function of urbanization and lifestyle,” Immunology, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 569–577, 2014.
- Maria E. Lund, Bronwyn A. O'Brien, Andrew T. Hutchinson, Mark W. Robinson, Ann M. Simpson, John P. Dalton, and Sheila Donnelly, “Secreted Proteins from the Helminth Fasciola hepatica Inhibit the Initiation of Autoreactive T Cell Responses and Prevent Diabetes in the NOD Mouse,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.