- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 867368, 13 pages
Anti-Inflammatory Protein of Schistosoma japonicum Directs the Differentiation of the WEHI-3B JCS Cells and Mouse Bone Marrow Cells to Macrophages
1Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
2Department of Parasitology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
3Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
4Department of Biochemistry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Received 24 July 2009; Revised 30 October 2009; Accepted 9 December 2009
Academic Editor: Jorge Morales-Montor
Copyright © 2010 Shaomin Hu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Hozumi, “Fundamentals of chemotherapy of myeloid leukemia by induction of leukemia cell differentiation,” Advances in Cancer Research, vol. 38, pp. 121–169, 1983.
- N.-K. Mak, M.-C. Fung, K.-N. Leung, and A. J. Hapel, “Monocytic differentiation of a myelomonocytic leukemic cell (WEHI 3B JCS) is induced by tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-),” Cellular Immunology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1993.
- M. C. Fung, Y. Y. Szeto, K. N. Leung, Y. L. Wong-Leung, and N. K. Mak, “Effects of biochanin A on the growth and differentiation of myeloid leukemia WEHI-3B (JCS) cells,” Life Sciences, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 105–115, 1997.
- O. L. Lui, N. K. Mak, and K. N. Leung, “Conjugated linoleic acid induces monocytic differentiation of murine myeloid leukemia cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1737–1743, 2005.
- S. J. Jenkins, J. P. Hewitson, G. R. Jenkins, and A. P. Mountford, “Modulation of the host's immune response by schistosome larvae,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 27, no. 10-11, pp. 385–393, 2005.
- R. M. Maizels and M. Yazdanbakhsh, “Immune regulation by helminth parasites: cellular and molecular mechanisms,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 733–744, 2003.
- V. Angeli, C. Faveeuw, O. Roye, et al., “Role of the parasite-derived prostaglandin D2 in the inhibition of epidermal Langerhans cell migration during schistosomiasis infection,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 193, no. 10, pp. 1135–1147, 2001.
- G. Schramm, F. H. Falcone, A. Gronow, et al., “Molecular characterization of an interleukin-4-inducing factor from Schistosoma mansoni eggs,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 20, pp. 18384–18392, 2003.
- L. Chen, K. V. N. Rao, Y.-X. He, and K. Ramaswamy, “Skin-stage schistosomula of Schistosoma mansoni produce an apoptosis-inducing factor that can cause apoptosis of T cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 37, pp. 34329–34335, 2002.
- F. Trottein, L. Descamps, S. Nutten, et al., “Schistosoma mansoni activates host microvascular endothelial cells to acquire an anti-inflammatory phenotype,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 3403–3409, 1999.
- S. Hu, Z. Wu, L. Yang, and M. C. Fung, “Molecular cloning and expression of a functional anti-inflammatory protein, Sj16, of Schistosoma japonicum,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 191–200, 2009.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- S.-F. Kan, C.-H. Yu, H.-F. Pu, J.-M. Hsu, M.-J. Chen, and P. S. Wang, “Anti-proliferative effects of evodiamine on human prostate cancer cell lines DU145 and PC3,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 44–56, 2007.
- D. B. Smith and K. S. Johnson, “Single-step purification of polypeptides expressed in Escherichia coli as fusions with glutathione S-transferase,” Gene, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 1988.
- R. Hass, H. Bartels, N. Topley, et al., “TPA-induced differentiation and adhesion of U937 cells: changes in ultrastructure, cytoskeletal organization and expression of cell surface antigens,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 282–293, 1989.
- H. P. Koeffler, M. Bareli, and M. C. Territo, “Phorbol ester effect on differentiation of human myeloid leukemia cell lines blocked at different stages of maturation,” Cancer Research, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 919–926, 1981.
- M. A. P. Oliveira, G. M. A. C. Lima, M. T. Shio, P. J. M. Leenen, and I. A. Abrahamsohn, “Immature macrophages derived from mouse bone marrow produce large amounts of IL-12p40 after LPS stimulation,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 857–867, 2003.
- S.-C. Chan, M.-C. Fung, N.-K. I. Mak, and K.-N. Leung, “Involvement of interleukin-1 in the differentiation-inducing activity of tumor necrosis factor- on a murine myeloid leukemia (WEHI-3B JCS),” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 821–826, 1997.
- R. Vrhovac, R. Kusec, and B. Jaksic, “Myeloid hemopoietic growth factors—review article,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Therapy and Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 241–252, 1993.
- K. Kaushansky, C. B. Brown, and S. Petersdorf, “Hematopoietic colony-stimulating factors,” Biotechnology, vol. 19, pp. 365–395, 1991.
- K. V. N. Rao and K. Ramaswamy, “Cloning and expression of a gene encoding Sm16, an anti-inflammatory protein from Schistosoma mansoni,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 101–108, 2000.
- K. Ramaswamy, B. Salafsky, S. Potluri, Y.-X. He, J.-W. Li, and T. Shibuya, “Secretion of an anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory factor by schistosomulae of Schistosoma mansoni,” Journal of Inflammation, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 1996.
- K. Ramaswamy, S. Potluri, P. Ramaswamy, et al., “Immune evasion by Schistosoma mansoni: characterization of Sm 16.8 an anti-inflammatory protein produced by the skin stage schistosomulum,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Parasitology, pp. 597–603, 1998.
- K. V. N. Rao, Y.-X. He, and K. Ramaswamy, “Suppression of cutaneous inflammation by intradermal gene delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 38–45, 2002.
- L. Martinez-Pomares, N. Platt, A. J. Mcknight, R. P. DaSilva, and S. Gordon, “Macrophage membrane molecules: markers of tissue differentiation and heterogeneity,” Immunobiology, vol. 195, no. 4-5, pp. 407–416, 1996.
- P. J. M. Leenen, M. F. T. R. Debruijn, J. S. A. Voerman, P. A. Campbell, and W. Vanewijk, “Markers of mouse macrophage development detected by monoclonal-antibodies,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 174, pp. 5–19, 1994.
- T. J. Fleming, M. L. Fleming, and T. R. Malek, “Selective expression of Ly-6G on myeloid lineage cells in mouse bone marrow: RB6-8C5 mAb to granulocyte-differentiation antigen (Gr-1) detects members of the Ly-6 family,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 151, no. 5, pp. 2399–2408, 1993.
- M. Kobayashi, J. Nishihara, Y. Fujii, H. Maeda, M. Hosokawa, and N. Takeichi, “Involvement of oxygen radicals in the differentiation of rat myelomonocytic leukemia cells in vitro and in vivo,” Leukemia Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 199–203, 1994.
- U. Yamashita, Y. Tanaka, and F. Shirakawa, “Suppressive effect of interleukin-4 on the differentiation of M1 and HL60 myeloid leukemic cells,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 133–137, 1993.
- N. Nakayama, K. Hatake, A. Miyajima, K. Arai, and T. Yokota, “Colony-stimulating factors, cytokines and hematopoiesis,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 68–77, 1989.
- D. Metcalf, “Actions and interactions of G-CSF, LIF, and IL-6 on normal and leukemic murine cells,” Leukemia, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 349–355, 1989.
- N. K. Mak, Y. Y. Szeto, M. C. Fung, K. N. Leung, and S. K. Kwan, “Effects of midazolam on the differentiation of murine myeloid leukemia cells,” Chemotherapy, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 272–281, 1997.
- N. K. Mak, Y. L. Wong-Leung, S. C. Chan, J. Wen, K. N. Leung, and M. C. Fung, “Isolation of anti-leukemia compounds from Citrus reticulata,” Life Sciences, vol. 58, no. 15, pp. 1269–1276, 1996.