- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 910375, 6 pages
Release of Glycoprotein (GP1) from the Tegumental Surface of Taenia solium by Phospholipase C from Clostridium perfringens Suggests a Novel Protein-Anchor to Membranes
1Departamento de Microbiología y Parasitología, Facultad de Medicina, UNAM, México 04510, DF, Mexico
2Departamento de Inmunología, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, UNAM, México 04510, DF, Mexico
Received 21 August 2009; Accepted 12 October 2009
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2010 Abraham Landa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. M. Sandeman and J. F. Williams, “Lectin binding to cystic stages of Taenia taeniaeformis,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 661–667, 1984.
- R. O. McCracken and R. D. Lumsden, “Structure and function of parasite surface membranes. II. Concanavalin A adsorption by the cestode Hymenolepis diminuta and its effect on transport,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 331–337, 1975.
- J. Schmidt and W. Peters, “Localization of glycoconjugates at the tegument of the tapeworms Hymenolepis nana and H. microstoma with gold labelled lectins,” Parasitology Research, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 80–86, 1987.
- G. W. P. Joshua, L. J. S. Harrison, and M. M. H. Sewell, “Developmental changes in proteins and glycoproteins revealed by direct radio-iodination of viable Taenia saginata larvae,” Parasitology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 265–274, 1989.
- A. Sosa, H. Giron, S. Alva, and L. Calzada, “Presence and nature of a glycocalyx-like coat on the external vesicular membrane of Cysticercus cellulosae: a high resolution histochemical study,” Life Sciences, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1021–1032, 1977.
- K. Willms, M. T. Merchant, S. Diaz, and A. Arcos, “Host-parasite interface in the metacestode of Taenia solium,” in Cysticercosis: Present State of Knowledge and Perspectives, A. Flisser, K. Willms, J. P. Laclette, C. Larralde, C. Ridaura, and F. Beltran, Eds., pp. 397–411, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- A. Landa, M. T. Merchant, K. Willms, and J. P. Laclette, “Purification and ultrastructural localization of surface glycoproteins of Taenia solium (Cestoda) cysticerci,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 265–269, 1994.
- B. Espinoza, R. Tarrab-Hazdai, I. Silman, and R. Arnon, “Acetylcholinesterase in Schistosoma mansoni is anchored to the membrane via covalently attached phosphatidylinositol,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 29, no. 2-3, pp. 171–179, 1988.
- E. J. Pearce and A. Sher, “Three major surface antigens of Schistosoma mansoni are linked to the membrane by glycosylphosphatidylinositol,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 979–984, 1989.
- S. Y. Sauma and M. Strand, “Identification and characterization of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-linked Schistosoma mansoni adult worm immunogens,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 199–210, 1990.
- D. P. Jasmer, L. E. Perryman, and T. C. McGuire, “Haemonchus contortus GA1 antigens: related, phospholipase C-sensitive, apical gut membrane proteins encoded as a polyprotein and released from the nematode during infection,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 16, pp. 8642–8647, 1996.
- E. J. Pearce, A. I. Magee, S. R. Smithers, and A. J. G. Simpson, “Sm25, a major schistosome tegumental glycoprotein, is dependent on palmitic acid for membrane attachment,” EMBO Journal, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 2741–2746, 1991.
- G. L. Mills, D. C. Taylor, and J. F. Williams, “Lipid composition of the helminth parasite Taenia crassiceps,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 553–557, 1981.
- G. L. Mills, D. C. Taylor, and J. F. Williams, “Lipid composition of the metacestode of Taenia taeniaeformis and lipid changes during growth,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 3, pp. 301–318, 1981.
- B. N. Singh, C. E. Costello, S. B. Levery, et al., “Tegument galactosylceramides of the cestode Spirometra mansonoides,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 26, no. 1-2, pp. 99–111, 1987.
- W. J. Knowles and J. A. Oaks, “Isolation and partial biochemical characterization of the brush border plasma membrane from the cestode, Hymenolepis diminuta,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 715–731, 1979.
- F. Persat, J.-F. Bouhours, M. Mojon, and A.-F. Petavy, “Glycosphingolipids of Echinococcus multilocularis metacestodes,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 97–104, 1990.
- M. Sugita, T. Mizunoma, K. Aoki, et al., “Structural characterization of a novel glycoinositolphospholipid from the parasitic nematode, Ascaris suum,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1302, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 1996.
- J. P. Laclette, M. T. Merchant, and K. Willms, “Histological and ultrastructural localization of antigen B in the metacestode of Taenia solium,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 121–129, 1987.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- K. Willms and L. Arcos, “Taenia solium: host serum proteins on the cysticercus surface identified by an ultrastructural immunoenzyme technique,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 396–406, 1977.
- K. Willms, M. T. Merchant, L. Arcos, M. Sealey, S. Díaz, and L. Díaz de León, “Immunopathology of cysticercosis,” in Molecules, Cells, and Parasites in Immunology, C. Larralde, K. Willms, L. Ortiz-Ortiz, and M. Sela, Eds., pp. 145–162, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- R. Sundler, A. W. Alberts, and P. R. Vagelos, “Phospholipases as probes for membrane sidedness. Selective analysis of the outer monolayer of asymmetric bilayer vesicles,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 253, no. 15, pp. 5299–5304, 1978.
- T. Takahashi, T. Sugahara, and A. Ohsaka, “Purification of Clostridium perfringens phospholipase C ( toxin) by affinity chromatography on agarose linked egg yolk lipoprotein,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 351, no. 1, pp. 155–171, 1974.
- R. W. Titball, “Bacterial phospholipases C,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 347–366, 1993.
- P. A. Friedman, P. P. Weinstein, L. A. Davidson, and J. F. Mueller, “Spirometra mansonoides: lectin analysis of tegumental glycopeptides,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 93–103, 1982.