- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 159834, 5 pages
Brown Adipose Tissue Can Be Activated or Inhibited within an Hour before 18F-FDG Injection: A Preliminary Study with MicroPET
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730, China
Received 30 December 2010; Accepted 16 February 2011
Academic Editor: Mei Tian
Copyright © 2011 Chenxi Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Ghorbani, T. H. Claus, and J. Himms-Hagen, “Hypertrophy of brown adipocytes in brown and white adipose tissues and reversal of diet-induced obesity in rats treated with a β-adrenoceptor agonist,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 121–131, 1997.
- G. Frühbeck, S. Becerril, N. Sáinz, P. Garrastachu, and M. J. García-Velloso, “BAT: a new target for human obesity?” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 387–396, 2009.
- D. Hull, “The structure and function of brown adipose tissue,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 92–96, 1966.
- J. Nedergaard, T. Bengtsson, and B. Cannon, “Unexpected evidence for active brown adipose tissue in adult humans,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. E444–E452, 2007.
- A. M. Cypess and C. R. Kahn, “Brown fat as a therapy for obesity and diabetes,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 143–149, 2010.
- J. B. Hansen and K. Kristiansen, “Regulatory circuits controlling white versus brown adipocyte differentiation,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 398, no. 2, pp. 153–168, 2006.
- P. G. Shekelle, M. L. Hardy, S. C. Morton et al., “Efficacy and safety of ephedra and ephedrine for weight loss and athletic performance: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 12, pp. 1537–1545, 2003.
- M. A. Van Baak, G. B. J. Hul, S. Toubro et al., “Acute effect of L-796568, a novel β-adrenergic receptor agonist, on energy expenditure in obese men,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 272–279, 2002.
- W. D. Van Marken Lichtenbelt, J. W. Vanhommerig, N. M. Smulders et al., “Cold-activated brown adipose tissue in healthy men,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 15, pp. 1500–1508, 2009.
- B. J. Fueger, J. Czernin, I. Hildebrandt et al., “Impact of animal handling on the results of -FDG PET studies in mice,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 999–1006, 2006.
- J. Himms-Hagen, “Role of thermogenesis in the regulation of energy balance in relation to obesity,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 394–401, 1989.
- M. Watanabe, T. Yamamoto, C. Mori et al., “Cold-induced changes in gene expression in brown adipose tissue: implications for the activation of thermogenesis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 775–784, 2008.
- C. Atgié, F. D'Allaire, and L. J. Bukowiecki, “Role of β- and β-adrenoceptors in the regulation of lipolysis and thermogenesis in rat brown adipocytes,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 273, no. 4, pp. C1136–C1142, 1997.
- T. F. Hany, E. Gharehpapagh, E. M. Kamel, A. Buck, J. Himms-Hagen, and G. K. Von Schulthess, “Brown adipose tissue: a factor to consider in symmetrical tracer uptake in the neck and upper chest region,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1393–1398, 2002.
- C. Cohade, M. Osman, H. K. Pannu, and R. L. Wahl, “Uptake in supraclavicular area fat ("USA-Fat"): description on 18F-FDG PET/CT,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 170–176, 2003.
- S. Basu and A. Alavi, “Optimizing interventions for preventing uptake in the brown adipose tissue in FDG-PET,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1421–1423, 2008.
- G. Williams and G. M. Kolodny, “Method for decreasing uptake of -FDG by hypermetabolic brown adipose tissue on PET,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 190, no. 5, pp. 1406–1409, 2008.
- K. A. Zukotynski, F. H. Fahey, S. Laffin et al., “Constant ambient temperature of 24°C significantly reduces FDG uptake by brown adipose tissue in children scanned during the winter,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 602–606, 2009.
- S. Xu, R. Bian, and X. Chen, Methodology of Pharmacology Experiment (Chinese), People’s Health Press, Beijing, China, 3rd edition, 2001.
- S. Baba, M. Tatsumi, T. Ishimori, D. L. Liliein, J. M. Engles, and R. L. Wahl, “Effect of nicotine and ephedrine on the accumulation of -FDG in brown adipose tissue,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 981–986, 2007.