- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 167395, 6 pages
CTLA-4 Gene Polymorphism and the Risk of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in the Chinese Population
1Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
2Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
Received 14 April 2011; Revised 25 May 2011; Accepted 9 June 2011
Academic Editor: Nathan A. Ellis
Copyright © 2011 Ahmad Taha Khalaf et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Edberg , J. Wu, C. D. Langefeld et al., “Genetic variation in the CRP promoter: association with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1147–1155, 2008.
- V. C. Kyttaris, S. Krishnan, and G. C. Tsokos, “Systems biology in systemic lupus erythematosus: integrating genes, biology and immune function,” Autoimmunity, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 705–709, 2006.
- A. H. Sawalha, K. M. Kaufman, J. A. Kelly et al., “Genetic association of interleukin-21 polymorphisms with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 458–461, 2008.
- C. S. Lau, G. Yin, and M. Y. Mok, “Ethnic and geographical differences in systemic lupus erythematosus: an overview,” Lupus, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 715–719, 2006.
- V. Rus and M. C. Hochberg, “The epidemiology of systemic lupus erythematosus,” in Dubois' Lupus Erythematosus, D. J. Wallace and B. H. Hahn, Eds., pp. 65–83, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2002.
- I. Sekigawa, T. Naito, K. Hira et al., “Possible mechanisms of gender bias in SLE: a new hypothesis involving a comparison of SLE with atopy,” Lupus, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 217–222, 2004.
- J. B. Harley, J. A. Kelly, and K. M. Kaufman, “Unraveling the genetics of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Springer Seminars in Immunopathology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 119–130, 2006.
- P. K. Gregersen and L. M. Olsson, “Recent advances in the genetics of autoimmune disease,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 27, pp. 363–391, 2009.
- T. L. Walunas, C. Y. Bakker, and J. A. Bluestone, “CTLA-4 ligation blocks CD28-dependent T cell activation,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 183, no. 6, pp. 2541–2550, 1996.
- B. M. Carreno and M. Collins, “The B7 family of ligands and its receptors: new pathways for costimulation and inhibition of immune responses,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 20, pp. 29–53, 2002.
- H. Ueda, J. M. M. Howson, L. Esposito et al., “Association of the T-cell regulatory gene CTLA4 with susceptibility to autoimmune disease,” Nature, vol. 423, no. 6939, pp. 506–511, 2003.
- Y. H. Lee, J. B. Harley, and S. K. Nath, “CTLA-4 polymorphisms and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): a meta-analysis,” Human Genetics, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 361–367, 2005.
- L. L. Hudson, K. Rocca, Y. W. Song, and J. P. Pandey, “CTLA-4 gene polymorphisms in systemic lupus erythematosus: a highly significant association with a determinant in the promoter region,” Human Genetics, vol. 111, no. 4-5, pp. 452–455, 2002.
- V. Ling, P. W. Wu, H. F. Finnerty, A. H. Sharpe, G. S. Gray, and M. Collins, “Complete sequence determination of the mouse and human CTLA-4 gene loci: cross-species DNA sequence similarity beyond exon borders,” Genomics, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 341–355, 1999.
- O. P. Kristiansen, Z. M. Larsen, and F. Pociot, “CTLA-4 in autoimmune diseases—A general susceptibility gene to autoimmunity?” Genes and Immunity, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 170–184, 2000.
- M. C. Hochberg, “Updating the American College of Rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 40, no. 9, p. 1725, 1997.
- S. Ahmed, K. Ihara, S. Kanemitsu et al., “Association of CTLA-4 but not CD28 gene polymorphisms with systemic lupus erythematosus in the Japanese population,” Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 662–667, 2001.
- L. Fernandez-Blanco, E. Perez-Pampin, J. J. Gomez-Reino, and A. Gonzalez, “A CTLA-4 polymorphism associated with susceptibility to systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 328–329, 2004.
- M. Ulker, V. Yazisiz, N. Sallakci et al., “CTLA-4 gene polymorphism of exon 1(+49 A/G) in Turkish systemic lupus erythematosus patients,” International Journal of Immunogenetics, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 245–250, 2009.
- M. F. Liu, C. R. Wang, L. C. Lin, and C. R. Wu, “CTLA-4 gene polymorphism in promoter and exon-1 regions in Chinese patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Lupus, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 647–649, 2001.
- F. Aguilar, B. Torres, J. Sánchez-Román, A. Núñez-Roldán, and M. F. González-Escribano, “CTLA4 polymorphism in Spanish patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Human Immunology, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 936–940, 2003.
- C. G. Parks, L. L. Hudson, G. S. Cooper et al., “CTLA-4 gene polymorphisms and systemic lupus erythematosus in a population-based study of whites and African-Americans in the southeastern United States,” Lupus, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 784–791, 2004.
- R. M. Cantor, J. Yuan, S. Napier et al., “Systemic lupus erythematosus genome scan: support for linkage at 1q23, 2q33, 16q12-13, and 17q21-23 and novel evidence at 3p24, 10q23-24, 13q32, and 18q22-23,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 3203–3210, 2004.
- D. S. C. Graham, A. K. Wong, N. J. McHugh, J. C. Whittaker, and T. J. Vyse, “Evidence for unique association signals in SLE at the CD28-CTLA4-ICOS locus in a family-based study,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 15, no. 21, pp. 3195–3205, 2006.
- M. L. Budarf, P. Goyette, G. Boucher et al., “A targeted association study in systemic lupus erythematosus identifies multiple susceptibility alleles,” Genes and Immunity, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2010.
- M. Barreto, E. Santos, R. Ferreira et al., “Evidence for CTLA4 as a susceptibility gene for systemic lupus erythematosus ,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 620–626, 2004.
- L. M. Gómez Osorio, J. Martín Ibañez, and J. M. Anaya Cabrera, “Autoimmunity co-signaling system: Regulatory T cells, CTLA-4 and FOXP3,” Inmunología, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 620–626, 2004.
- C. K. Wong, L. C. W. Lit, L. S. Tam, E. K. Li, and C. W. K. Lam, “Aberrant production of soluble costimulatory molecules CTLA-4, CD28, CD80 and CD86 in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 989–994, 2005.
- M. F. Liu, C. R. Wang, P. C. Chen, and L. L. Fung, “Increased expression of soluble cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen-4 molecule in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 568–572, 2003.
- A. K. B. Lindqvist, K. Steinsson, B. Johanneson et al., “A susceptibility locus for human systemic lupus erythematosus (hSLE1) on chromosome 2q,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 169–178, 2000.
- J. W. Han, H. F. Zheng, Y. Cui et al., “Genome-wide association study in a Chinese Han population identifies nine new susceptibility loci for systemic lupus erythematosus,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1234–1237, 2009.
- K. H. Chua, S. M. Puah, C. H. Chew, S. Y. Tan, and L. H. Lian, “Study of the CTLA-4 gene polymorphisms in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) samples from Malaysia,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 274–280, 2010.
- S. Xu, X. Yin, S. Li et al., “Genomic dissection of population substructure of han Chinese and its implication in association studies,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 762–774, 2009.
- B. S. Shastry, “SNP alleles in human disease and evolution,” Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 561–566, 2002.
- F. Takeuchi, S. Kuwata, and M. Mori, “CTLA-4-1661A/G and -1772T/C dimorphisms in Japanese patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 2062–2063, 2005.
- A. E. Wandstrat, C. Nguyen, N. Limaye et al., “Association of extensive polymorphisms in the SLAM/CD2 gene cluster with murine lupus,” Immunity, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 769–780, 2004.
- M. Dall'Era and J. Davis, “CTLA4Ig: a novel inhibitor of costimulation,” Lupus, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 372–376, 2004.
- B. Torres, F. Aguilar, E. Franco et al., “Association of the CT60 marker of the CTLA4 gene with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 2211–2215, 2004.