- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 173471, 9 pages
Force Characteristics of the Rat Sternomastoid Muscle Reinnervated with End-to-End Nerve Repair
1Upper Airway Research Laboratory, Department of Research, Hackensack University Medical Center, 30 Prospect Avenue, Jurist Research Building, Hackensack, NJ 07601, USA
2Department of Neurosurgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Received 1 June 2011; Revised 8 September 2011; Accepted 22 September 2011
Academic Editor: Henk Granzier
Copyright © 2011 Stanislaw Sobotka and Liancai Mu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Caliot, P. Cabanie, V. Bousquet, and D. Midy, “A contribution to the study of the innervation of the sternocleidomastoid muscle,” Anatomia Clinica, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 1984.
- D. Costa, M. Vitti, D. De Oliveira Tosello, and R. Puglise Costa, “Participation of the sternocleidomastoid muscle on deep inspiration in man. An electromyographic study,” Electromyography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 315–320, 1994.
- A. De Troyer, P. A. Kirkwood, and T. A. Wilson, “Respiratory action of the intercostal muscles,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 717–756, 2005.
- A. J. Raper, W. T. Thompson, W. Shapiro, and J. L. Patterson, “Scalene and sternomastoid muscle function,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 497–502, 1966.
- A. Legrand, E. Schneider, P. A. Gevenois, and A. De Troyer, “Respiratory effects of the scalene and sternomastoid muscles in humans,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1467–1472, 2003.
- A. L. Hudson, S. C. Gandevia, and J. E. Butler, “The effect of lung volume on the co-ordinated recruitment of scalene and sternomastoid muscles in humans,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 584, no. 1, pp. 261–270, 2007.
- J. Hamilton, S. Avitia, and R. F. Osborne, “Designing a bipedicled sternocleidomastoid muscle flap for parotidectomy contour deformities,” Ear, Nose and Throat Journal, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 20–21, 2006.
- V. Kumar, U. Gaud, M. Shukla, and M. Pandey, “Sternocleidomastoid island flap preserving the branch from superior thyroid artery for the reconstruction following resection of oral cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1011–1015, 2009.
- L. Mu, S. Sobotka, and H. Su, “Nerve-muscle-endplate band grafting: a new technique for muscle reinnervation,” Neurosurgery, vol. 69, supplement 2, pp. 208–224, 2011.
- G. A. Farkas and D. F. Rochester, “Contractile characteristics and operating lengths of canine neck inspiratory muscles,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 220–226, 1986.
- L. de Medinaceli, M. Prayon, and M. Merle, “Percentage of nerve injuries in which primary repair can be achieved by end-to-end approximation: review of 2,181 nerve lesions,” Microsurgery, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 244–246, 1993.
- L. K. Kalliainen, P. S. Cederna, and W. M. Kuzon, “Mechanical function of muscle reinnervated by end-to-side neurorrhaphy,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 1919–1927, 1999.
- R. S. Meyer, R. A. Abrams, M. J. Botte, J. P. Davey, and S. C. Bodine-Fowler, “Functional recovery following neurorrhaphy of the rat sciatic nerve by epineurial repair compared with tubulization,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 664–669, 1997.
- B. J. F. Wong and R. L. Crumley, “Nerve wound healing: an overview,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 881–895, 1995.
- S. K. Lee and S. W. Wolfe, “Peripheral nerve injury and repair,” The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 243–252, 2000.
- S. Hall, “Nerve repair: a neurobiologist's view,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 129–136, 2001.
- X. Zhang, L. Mu, H. Su, and S. Sobotka, “Locations of the motor endplate band and motoneurons innervating the sternomastoid muscle in the rat,” Anatomical Record, vol. 294, no. 2, pp. 295–304, 2011.
- S. Sobotka and L. Mu, “Characteristics of tetanic force produced by the sternomastoid muscle of the rat,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 194984, 11 pages, 2010.
- E. Uchino, T. Tsuzuki, and K. Inoue, “The effects of age and sex on seven elements in Sprague-Dawley rat organs,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 253–264, 1990.
- D. Cantillon and A. Bradford, “Effects of age and gender on rat upper airway muscle contractile properties,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. B396–B400, 2000.
- S. P. Cairns and A. F. Dulhunty, “The effects of β-adrenoceptor activation on contraction in isolated fast- and slow-twitch skeletal muscle fibres of the rat,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 1133–1141, 1993.
- D. Master, T. Cowan, S. Narayan, R. Kirsch, and H. Hoyen, “Involuntary, electrically excitable nerve transfer for denervation: results from an animal model,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 479–e3, 2009.
- K. Yoshimura, H. Asato, S. S. Jejurikar, P. S. Cederna, M. G. Urbanchek, and W. M. Kuzon, “The effect of two episodes of denervation and reinnervation on skeletal muscle contractile function,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 212–219, 2002.
- S. Y. Fu and T. Gordon, “Contributing factors to poor functional recovery after delayed nerve repair: prolonged axotomy,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 3876–3885, 1995.
- M. A. Aydin, S. E. Mackinnon, X. M. Gu, J. Kobayashi, and W. M. Kuzon, “Force deficits in skeletal muscle after delayed reinnervation,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 1712–1718, 2004.
- A. N. Swanson, S. W. Wolfe, M. Khazzam, J. Feinberg, J. Ehteshami, and S. Doty, “Comparison of neurotization versus nerve repair in animal model of chronically denervated muscle,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1093–1099, 2008.
- A. Irintchev, A. Draguhn, and A. Wernig, “Reinnervation and recovery of mouse soleus muscle after long-term denervation,” Neuroscience, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 231–243, 1990.
- S. J. Wood and C. R. Slater, “Safety factor at the neuromuscular junction,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 393–429, 2001.
- J. A. Gruner and C. P. Mason, “Nonlinear muscle recruitment during intramuscular and nerve stimulation,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 1–16, 1989.
- Z. Ashley, S. Salmons, S. Boncompagni et al., “Effects of chronic electrical stimulation on long-term denervated muscles of the rabbit hind limb,” Journal of Muscle Research and Cell Motility, vol. 28, no. 4-5, pp. 203–217, 2007.
- R. M. Braun, “Epineurial nerve suture,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 163, pp. 50–56, 1982.
- R. M. R. McAllister, S. E. A. Gilbert, J. S. Calder, and P. J. Smith, “The epidemiology and management of upper limb peripheral nerve injuries in modern practice,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 4–13, 1996.