- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 174615, 11 pages
Bioactivity Determination of Native and Variant Forms of Therapeutic Interferons
1Biologics and Genetic Therapies Directorate, Health Canada, Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0K9
2National Institute for the Control of Pharmaceutical and Biological Products, Beijing, 100810, China
3Department of Experimental Medicine, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2T5
4National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 3R2
5Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology & Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8M5
Received 15 November 2010; Accepted 14 January 2011
Academic Editor: Andrei Surguchov
Copyright © 2011 Louise Larocque et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Pestka, J. A. Langer, K. C. Zoon, and C. E. Samuel, “Interferons and their actions,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 56, pp. 727–777, 1987.
- G. R. Stark, I. M. Kerr, B. R. G. Williams, R. H. Silverman, and R. D. Schreiber, “How cells respond to interferons,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 67, pp. 227–264, 1998.
- C. A. Biron, “Interferons α and β as immune regulators—a new look,” Immunity, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 661–664, 2001.
- M. Chawla-Sarkar, D. W. Leaman, and E. C. Borden, “Preferential induction of apoptosis by interferon (IFN)-β compared with IFN-α2: correlation with TRAIL/Apo2L induction in melanoma cell lines,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1821–1831, 2001.
- M. J. De Veer, M. Holko, M. Frevel et al., “Functional classification of interferon-stimulated genes identified using microarrays,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 912–920, 2001.
- S. Taki, “Type I interferons and autoimmunity: lessons from the clinic and from IRF-2-deficient mice,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 13, no. 4-5, pp. 379–391, 2002.
- N. Ank and S. R. Paludan, “Type III IFNs: new layers of complexity in innate antiviral immunity,” BioFactors, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 2009.
- B. Weinstock-Guttman and L. D. Jacobs, “What is new in the treatment of multiple sclerosis?” Drugs, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 401–410, 2000.
- D. E. Goodkin, “Interferon β therapy for multiple sclerosis,” The Lancet, vol. 352, no. 9139, pp. 1486–1487, 1998.
- J. R. Quesada, J. U. Gutterman, and E. M. Hersh, “Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with alpha interferons,” Cancer, vol. 57, no. 8, supplement, pp. 1678–1680, 1986.
- S. Baron, S. K. Tyring, W. R. Fleischmann et al., “The interferons: mechanisms of action and clinical applications,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 266, no. 10, pp. 1375–1383, 1991.
- A. Meager, R. Gaines Das, K. Zoon, and A. Mire-Sluis, “Establishment of new and replacement World Health Organization International Biological Standards for human interferon alpha and omega,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 257, no. 1-2, pp. 17–33, 2001.
- A. Meager, “Biological assays for interferons,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 261, no. 1-2, pp. 21–36, 2002.
- D. J. Giard and R. J. Fleischaker, “A study showing a high degree of interlaboratory variation in the assay of human interferon,” Journal of Biological Standardization, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 265–269, 1984.
- M. D. Fray, G. E. Mann, and B. Charleston, “Validation of an Mx/CAT reporter gene assay for the quantification of bovine type-I interferon,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 249, no. 1-2, pp. 235–244, 2001.
- R. Lleonart, D. Näf, H. Browning, and C. Weissmann, “A novel, quantitative bioassay for type I interferon using a recombinant indicator cell line,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1263–1267, 1990.
- U. Canosi, M. Mascia, L. Gazza et al., “A highly precise reporter gene bioassay for type I interferon,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 1996.
- A. Meager and R. G. Das, “Biological standardization of human interferon beta: establishment of a replacement world health organization international biological standard for human glycosylated interferon beta,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 306, no. 1-2, pp. 1–15, 2005.
- S. Caserman, V. Menart, R. Gaines Das, S. Williams, and A. Meager, “Thermal stability of the WHO international standard of interferon alpha 2b (IFN-α2b): application of new reporter gene assay for IFN-α2b potency determinations,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 319, no. 1-2, pp. 6–12, 2007.
- U. Hammerling, E. Bongcam-Rudloff, N. Setterblad et al., “The β-gal interferon assay: a new, precise, and sensitive method,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 451–460, 1998.
- W. Däubener, N. Wanagat, K. Pilz, S. Seghrouchni, H. G. Fischer, and U. Hadding, “A new, simple, bioassay for human IFN-γ,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 1994.
- V. Smilović, S. Caserman, I. Fonda, V. Gaberc-Porekar, and V. Menart, “A novel reporter gene assay for interferons based on CHO-K1 cells,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 333, no. 1-2, pp. 192–196, 2008.
- Y. J. Seo, GI. H. Kim, HO. J. Kwak et al., “Validation of a HeLa Mx2/Luc reporter cell line for the quantification of human type i interferons,” Pharmacology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 135–144, 2009.
- C. Lallemand, J. F. Meritet, R. Erickson et al., “Quantification of neutralizing antibodies to human type I interferons using division-arrested frozen cells carrying an interferon-regulated reporter-gene,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 393–404, 2008.
- R. Lam, R. Farrell, T. Aziz et al., “Validating parameters of a luciferase reporter gene assay to measure neutralizing antibodies to IFNβ in multiple sclerosis patients,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 336, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 2008.
- C. Lallemand, J. F. Meritet, B. Blanchard, P. Lebon, and M. G. Tovey, “One-step assay for quantification of neutralizing antibodies to biopharmaceuticals,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 356, no. 1-2, pp. 18–28, 2010.
- A. Diress, B. Lorbetskie, L. Larocque et al., “Study of aggregation, denaturation and reduction of interferon alpha-2 products by size-exclusion high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection and biological assays,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1217, no. 19, pp. 3297–3306, 2010.
- C. V. Ramana, M. Chatterjee-Kishore, H. Nguyen, and G. R. Stark, “Complex roles of Stat1 in regulating gene expression,” Oncogene, vol. 19, no. 21, pp. 2619–2627, 2000.
- M. Bucciantini, E. Giannoni, F. Chiti et al., “Inherent toxicity of aggregates implies a common mechanism for protein misfolding diseases,” Nature, vol. 416, no. 6880, pp. 507–511, 2002.
- W. Wang, “Protein aggregation and its inhibition in biopharmaceutics,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 289, no. 1-2, pp. 1–30, 2005.
- D. R. Booth, M. Sunde, V. Bellotti et al., “Instability, unfolding and aggregation of human lysozyme variants underlying amyloid fibrillogenesis,” Nature, vol. 385, no. 6619, pp. 787–793, 1997.
- A. Cudd, T. Arvinte, G. R. E. Das, C. Chinni, and I. MacIntyre, “Enhanced potency of human calcitonin when fibrillation is avoided,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 717–719, 1995.
- A. Braun, L. Kwee, M. A. Labow, and J. Alsenz, “Protein aggregates seem to play a key role among the parameters influencing the antigenicity of interferon alpha (IFN-α) in normal and transgenic mice,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1472–1478, 1997.
- S. Hermeling, L. Aranha, J. M. A. Damen et al., “Structural characterization and immunogenicity in wild-type and immune tolerant mice of degraded recombinant human interferon alpha2b,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1997–2006, 2005.
- J. E. Meca-Lallana, P. de Mingo-Casado, M. Amorin-Díaz, M. L. Martínez-Navarro, and A. F. Barreiro, “Effects of glatiramer acetate on spasticity in previously interferon-β-treated and treatment-naive patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a prospective, nonrandomized, open-label, uncontrolled, observational pilot study,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1061–1066, 2010.
- H. Kato, T. Fujishiro, and M. Narita, “A case of severe thrombocytopenia in a patient with chronic hepatitis C caused by a single administration of pegylated interferon alpha 2a subsequent to 48 weeks of pegylated interferon alpha 2b plus ribavirin therapy,” Internal Medicine, vol. 49, no. 16, pp. 1741–1744, 2010.
- C. François, I. Bernard, S. Castelain et al., “Quantification of different human alpha interferon subtypes and pegylated interferon activities by measuring MxA promoter activation,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 3770–3775, 2005.
- M. Moore, A. Meager, M. Wadhwa, and C. Burns, “Measurement of neutralising antibodies to type I interferons by gene expression assays specific for type 1 interferon-inducible 6-16 mRNA,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 534–539, 2009.
- A. Bertolotto, A. Sala, M. Caldano et al., “Development and validation of a real time PCR-based bioassay for quantification of neutralizing antibodies against human interferon-beta,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 321, no. 1-2, pp. 19–31, 2007.
- F. Gilli, M. van Beers, F. Marnetto, W. Jiskoot, A. Bertolotto, and H. Schellekens, “Development of a bioassay for quantification of neutralising antibodies against human interferon-beta in mouse sera,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 336, no. 2, pp. 119–126, 2008.
- G. Merla, L. Micale, L. A. Muscarella et al., “VHL frameshift mutation as target of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay in drosophila melanogaster and human HEK293 cell line,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2009, Article ID 860761, 2009.