- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 281312, 7 pages
Glucose Tolerance and Left Ventricular Pressure-Volume Relationships in Frequently Used Mouse Strains
Division of Experimental Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, K.U.Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Received 14 September 2010; Revised 6 December 2010; Accepted 13 December 2010
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Wouter Oosterlinck et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Schlager and J. Sides, “Characterization of hypertensive and hypotensive inbred strains of mice,” Laboratory Animal Science, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 288–292, 1997.
- J. Mayer, M. W. Bates, and M. M. Dickie, “Hereditary diabetes in genetically obese mice,” Science, vol. 113, no. 2948, pp. 746–747, 1951.
- S. Ishibashi, J. L. Goldstein, M. S. Brown, J. Herz, and D. K. Burns, “Massive xanthomatosis and atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed low density lipoprotein receptor-negative mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1885–1893, 1994.
- T. Tsoutsman, M. Kelly, D. C. H. Ng et al., “Severe heart failure and early mortality in a double-mutation mouse model of familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 14, pp. 1820–1831, 2008.
- K. Kuwahara, Y. Saito, M. Takano et al., “NRSF regulates the fetal cardiac gene program and maintains normal cardiac structure and function,” EMBO Journal, vol. 22, no. 23, pp. 6310–6321, 2003.
- K. M. Shioura, D. L. Geenen, and P. H. Goldspink, “Sex-related changes in cardiac function following myocardial infarction in mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 2, pp. R528–R534, 2008.
- B. S. Knight, N. Sunn, C. E. Pennell, S. L. Adamson, and S. J. Lye, “Developmental regulation of cardiovascular function is dependent on both genotype and environment,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 297, no. 6, pp. H2234–H2241, 2009.
- M. J. Campen, Y. Tagaito, J. Li et al., “Phenotypic variation in cardiovascular responses to acute hypoxic and hypercapnic exposure in mice,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 20, pp. 15–20, 2005.
- J. E. Gerich, “Role of the kidney in normal glucose homeostasis and in the hyperglycaemia of diabetes mellitus: therapeutic implications,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 136–142, 2010.
- L. M. Resnick, “Ionic basis of hypertension, insulin resistance, vascular disease, and related disorders. The mechanism of 'syndrome X',” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. S123–S134, 1993.
- F. Khan, H. Kerr, R. A. Ross, D. J. Newton, and J. J. Belch, “Effects of poor glucose handling on arterial stiffness and left ventricular mass in normal children,” International Angiology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 268–273, 2006.
- O. Vardeny, M. A. Detry, J. J. M. Moran, M. R. Johnson, and N. K. Sweitzer, “The β adrenergic receptor GIn27Glu polymorphism affects insulin resistance in patients with heart failure: possible modulation by choice of beta blocker,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 500–506, 2008.
- R. S. Surwit, C. M. Kuhn, C. Cochrane, J. A. McCubbin, and M. N. Feinglos, “Diet-induced type II diabetes in C57BL/6J mice,” Diabetes, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1163–1167, 1988.
- R. S. Surwit, M. F. Seldin, C. M. Kuhn, C. Cochrane, and M. N. Feinglos, “Control of expression of insulin resistance and hyperglycemia by different genetic factors in diabetic C57BL/6J mice,” Diabetes, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 1991.
- R. S. Surwit, M. N. Feinglos, J. Rodin et al., “Differential effects of fat and sucrose on the development of obesity and diabetes in C57BL/6J and A/J mice,” Metabolism, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 645–651, 1995.
- P. M. Nishina, J. Wang, W. Toyofuku, F. A. Kuypers, B. Y. Ishida, and B. Paigen, “Atherosclerosis and plasma and liver lipids in nine inbred strains of mice,” Lipids, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 599–605, 1993.
- R. S. Weibust, “Inheritance of plasma cholesterol levels in mice,” Genetics, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 303–312, 1973.
- A. Nyska, T. Waner, H. Tal, and D. Dayan, “Spontaneous ameloblastic fibro-odontoma in a female mouse,” Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 250–252, 1991.
- J. L. Domingo, J. L. Paternain, J. M. Llobet, and J. Corbella, “The developmental toxicity of uranium in mice,” Toxicology, vol. 55, no. 1-2, pp. 143–152, 1989.
- S. L. Abbott, R. P. Kokka, and J. M. Janda, “Laboratory investigations on the low pathogenic potential of Plesiomonas shigelloides,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 148–153, 1991.
- R. A. K. Srivastava, S. Jiao, J. Tang, B. A. Pfleger, R. T. Kitchens, and G. Schonfeld, “In vivo regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and apolipoprotein B gene expression by dietary fat and cholesterol in inbred strains of mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1086, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 1991.
- G. Schlager and R. S. Weibust, “Genetic control of blood pressure in mice,” Genetics, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 497–506, 1967.
- B. Paigen, D. Mitchell, P. A. Holmes, and D. Albee, “Genetic analysis of strains C57BL/6J and BALB/cJ for Ath-1, a gene determining atherosclerosis susceptibility in mice,” Biochemical Genetics, vol. 25, no. 11-12, pp. 881–892, 1987.
- D. Blizard and R. Welty, “A technique for monitoring the heart rate of mice,” Psychophysiology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 143–144, 1970.
- C. H. Frith, T. J. Haley, and B. W. Seymore, “Spontaneous epicardial mineralization in BALB/cStCrl mice,” Laboratory Animal Science, vol. 25, no. 6, p. 787, 1975.
- M. F. Festing and D. K. Blackmore, “Life span of specified-pathogen-free (MRC category 4) mice and rats,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 179–192, 1971.
- R. C. LeBoeuf and E. A. Kirk, “Dietary regulation of plasma lipid concentrations in the mouse,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Nutrition, Genetics, and Heart Disease, pp. 316–330, Baton Rouge, La, USA, March 1995.
- R. W. Rings and J. E. Wagner, “Incidence of cardiac and other soft tissue mineralized lesions in DNA-2 mice,” Laboratory animal science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 344–352, 1972.
- S. R. Brunnert, “Morphologic response of myocardium to freeze-thaw injury in mouse strains with dystrophic cardiac calcification,” Laboratory Animal Science, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 1997.
- A. Van Den Bergh, A. Vanderper, P. Vangheluwe et al., “Dyslipidaemia in type II diabetic mice does not aggravate contractile impairment but increases ventricular stiffness,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 371–379, 2008.
- A. Van Den Bergh, W. Flameng, and P. Herijgers, “Parameters of ventricular contractility in mice: influence of load and sensitivity to changes in inotropic state,” Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 455, no. 6, pp. 987–994, 2008.