- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 294204, 6 pages
Contractile Strength during Variable Heart Duration Is Species and Preload Dependent
1Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
2Department of Emergency Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Received 1 July 2011; Accepted 15 August 2011
Academic Editor: Henk Granzier
Copyright © 2011 Carlos A. A. Torres and Paul M. L. Janssen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. P. Bowditch, “Ueber die Eigenthuemlichkeiten der Reizbarkeit, welche die Muskelfasern des Herzens zeigen,” Berichte über die Verhandlungen der Königlich-Sächsischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Leipzig, vol. 23, pp. 652–689, 1871.
- P. M. L. Janssen and M. Periasamy, “Determinants of frequency-dependent contraction and relaxation of mammalian myocardium,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 523–531, 2007.
- L. A. Mulieri, G. Hasenfuss, B. Leavitt, P. D. Allen, and N. R. Alpert, “Altered myocardial force-frequency relation in human heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 1743–1750, 1992.
- P. M. L. Janssen, “Myocardial contraction-relaxation coupling,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 299, no. 6, pp. H1741–H1749, 2010.
- B. Pieske, M. Sütterlin, S. Schmidt-Schweda et al., “Diminished post-rest potentiation of contractile force in human dilated cardiomyopathy: functional evidence for alterations in intracellular Ca2+ handling,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 764–776, 1996.
- D. Burkhoff, D. T. Yue, M. R. Franz, W. C. Hunter, and K. Sagawa, “Mechanical restitution of isolated perfused canine left ventricles,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 246, no. 1, pp. H8–16, 1984.
- S. M. C. Hardman, M. I. M. Noble, T. Biggs, and W. A. Seed, “Evidence for an influence of mechanical restitution on beat-to-beat variations in haemodynamics during chronic atrial fibrillation in patients,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 82–90, 1998.
- F. L. Meijler, J. Strackee, J. L. Van Capelle, and J. C. Du Perron, “Computer analysis of the RR interval-contractility relationship during random stimulation of the isolated heart,” Circulation Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 695–702, 1968.
- C. A. A. Torres, K. D. Varian, and P. M. L. Janssen, “Variability in interbeat duration influences myocardial contractility in rat cardaic trabeculae,” The Open Cardiovascular Medicine Journal, vol. 2, pp. 96–100, 2008.
- L. A. Mulieri, G. Hasenfuss, F. Ittleman, E. M. Blanchard, and N. R. Alpert, “Protection of human left ventricular myocardium from cutting injury with 2,3-butanedione monoxime,” Circulation Research, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1441–1444, 1989.
- K. D. Varian and P. M. L. Janssen, “Frequency-dependent acceleration of relaxation involves decreased myofilament calcium sensitivity,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 5, pp. H2212–H2219, 2007.
- G. E. Billman, Y. Nishijima, A. E. Belevych et al., “Effects of dietary omega-3 fatty acids on ventricular function in dogs with healed myocardial infarctions: in vivo and in vitro studies,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 4, pp. H1219–H1228, 2010.
- S. Raman, M. A. Kelley, and P. M. L. Janssen, “Effect of muscle dimensions on trabecular contractile performance under physiological conditions,” Pflugers Archiv, vol. 451, no. 5, pp. 625–630, 2006.
- E. K. Rodriguez, W. C. Hunter, M. J. Royce, M. K. Leppo, A. S. Douglas, and H. F. Weisman, “A method to reconstruct myocardial sarcomere lengths and orientations at transmural sites in beating canine hearts,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 263, no. 1, pp. H293–H306, 1992.
- K. D. Varian, Y. Xu, C. A. A. Torres, M. M. Monasky, and P. M. L. Janssen, “A random cycle length approach for assessment of myocardial contraction in isolated rabbit myocardium,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 297, no. 5, pp. H1940–H1948, 2009.
- Y. Xu, M. M. Monasky, N. Hiranandani, K. M. Haizlip, G. E. Billman, and P. M. Janssen, “Effect of Twitch Interval Duration on the Contractile Function of Subsequent Twitches in Isolated Rat, Rabbit, and Dog Myocardium under Physiological Conditions,” Journal of Applied Physiology. In press.
- D. M. Bers, “Cardiac excitation-contraction coupling,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6868, pp. 198–205, 2002.
- M. M. Monasky and P. M. L. Janssen, “The positive force-frequency relationship is maintained in absence of sarcoplasmic reticulum function in rabbit, but not in rat myocardium,” Journal of Comparative Physiology B, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 469–479, 2009.
- A. M. Lompre, J. J. Mercadier, C. Wisnewsky, et al., “Species- and age-dependent changes in the relative amounts of cardiac myosin isoenzymes in mammals,” Developmental Biology, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 286–290, 1981.
- A. T. M. Gosselink, P. K. Blanksma, H. J. G. M. Crijns et al., “Left ventricular beat-to-beat performance in atrial fibrillation: contribution of Frank-Starling mechanism after short rather than long RR intervals,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1516–1521, 1995.
- H. J. Muntinga, A. T. M. Gosselink, P. K. Blanksma, P. J. De Kam, E. E. Van Der Wall, and H. J. G. M. Crijns, “Left ventricular beat to beat performance in atrial fibrillation: dependence on contractility, preload, and afterload,” Heart, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 575–580, 1999.
- M. Petretta, M. L. E. Vicario, L. Spinelli et al., “Combined effect of the force-frequency and length-tension mechanisms on left ventricular function in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 727–735, 2002.
- C. Dumitrescu, P. Narayan, Y. Cheng, I. R. Efimov, and R. A. Altschuld, “Phase I and phase II of short-term mechanical restitution in perfused rat left ventricles,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 4, pp. H1311–H1319, 2002.
- C. Luers, F. Fialka, A. Elgner et al., “Stretch-dependent modulation of [Na+]i, [Ca 2+]i, and pHi in rabbit myocardium —a mechanism for the slow force response,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 454–463, 2005.
- P. P. de Tombe, R. D. Mateja, K. Tachampa, Y. A. Mou, G. P. Farman, and T. C. Irving, “Myofilament length dependent activation,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 851–858, 2010.
- H. L. Granzier, Y. Wu, L. Siegfried, and M. LeWinter, “Titin: physiological function and role in cardiomyopathy and failure,” Heart Failure Reviews, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 211–223, 2005.
- M. W. Cooper, “Postextrasystolic potentiation: do we really know what it means and how to use it?” Circulation, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 2962–2971, 1993.
- M. M. Monasky, B. J. Biesiadecki, and P. M. L. Janssen, “Increased phosphorylation of tropomyosin, troponin I, and myosin light chain-2 after stretch in rabbit ventricular myocardium under physiological conditions,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1023–1028, 2010.
- R. R. Lamberts, N. Hamdani, T. W. Soekhoe et al., “Frequency-dependent myofilament Ca2+ desensitization in failing rat myocardium,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 582, no. 2, pp. 695–709, 2007.