- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 342816, 10 pages
Antinociceptive Activity of the Chloroform Fraction of Dioclea virgata (Rich.) Amshoff (Fabaceae) in Mice
1Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology, Center of Health Sciences, Federal University of Paraíba-UFPB, 58059-900 João Pessoa, PB, Brazil
2Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Received 4 February 2011; Revised 6 April 2011; Accepted 10 May 2011
Academic Editor: Abdel A. Abdel-Rahman
Copyright © 2011 Vanine Gomes Mota et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Parker, G. G. Peraza, J. Sena et al., “Antinociceptive effects of the aqueous extract of Brugmansia suaveolens flowers in Mice,” Biological Research for Nursing, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 234–239, 2007.
- M. F. Silva, In Nomes Populares das Leguminosas do Brasil, EDUA/IMPA/FAPEAM, Manaus, Brazil, 2004.
- M. F. Agra, P. F. De Freitas, and J. M. Barbosa-Filho, “Synopsis of the plants known as medicinal and poisonous in northeast of Brazil,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 114–140, 2007.
- M. Barral-Netto, S. B. Santos, A. Barral et al., “Human lymphocyte stimulation by legume lectins from the diocleae tribe,” Immunological Investigations, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 297–303, 1992.
- R. N. Almeida, A. C. G. M. Falcão, R. S. T. Diniz et al., “Metodologia para avaliação de plantas com atividade no sistema nervoso central e alguns dados experimentais,” Revista Brasileira de Farmacia, vol. 80, no. 3-4, pp. 72–76, 1999.
- N. N. Jain, C. C. Ohal, S. K. Shroff et al., “Clitoria ternatea and the CNS,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 529–536, 2003.
- H. Joshi and M. Parle, “Antiamnesic effects of Desmodium gangeticum in mice,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 126, no. 9, pp. 795–804, 2006.
- S. M. M. Vasconcelos, G. R. Oliveira, M. M. Carvalho et al., “Antinociceptive activities of the hydroalcoholic extracts from Erythrina velutina and Erythrina mulungu in mice,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 946–949, 2003.
- L. C. S. L. Morais, Possível influência dos tratamentos com extratos vegetais em sintomas extrapiramidais induzidos farmacologicamente em camundongos, Doutora em Produtos Naturais—Farmacologia, Universidade Federal da Paraíba, João Pessoa, Brazil, 2005.
- J. S. Batista, R. N. Almeida, and J. Bhattacharyya, “Analgesic effect of Dioclea grandiflora constituents in rodents,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 207–210, 1995.
- R. C. S. Sá, L. E. G. Oliveira, F. F. F. Nóbrega, et al., “Antinociceptive and toxicological effects of Dioclea grandiflora seed pod in mice,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 606748, 6 pages, 2010.
- B. Adzu, S. Amos, S. Dzarma, et al., “Effect of Zizyphus spina-christi Willd aqueous extract on the central nervous system in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 13–16, 2002.
- E. A. Carlini, J. D. P. Constar, A. R. Silva-Filho, et al., “Pharmacology Of lemon-grass (Cymbopogon citrates Stapf.): effects of teas prepared from leaves on laboratory-animals,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–64, 1986.
- R. Mattei, R. F. Dias, E. B. Espínola, E. A. Carlini, and S. B. M. Barros, “Guaraná (Paullinia cupana): toxic behavioral effects in laboratory animals and antioxidant activity in vitro,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 1998.
- N. W. Dunham and T. S. A. Miya, “A note on a simple apparatus for detecting neurological deficit in rats and mice,” Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 208–209, 1957.
- E. A. Carlini and V. Burgos, “Screening farmacológico de ansiolíticos: metodologia Laboratorial e comparação entre o diazepam e o clorobenzapam,” Revista da Associação Brasileira de Psiquiatria, vol. 1, pp. 25–31, 1979.
- F. R. Mendes, R. Mattei, and E. L. A. Carlini, “Activity of Hypericum brasiliense and Hypericum cordatum on the central nervous system in rodents,” Fitoterapia, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 462–471, 2002.
- L. C. S. L. Morais, L. J. Quintans-Júnior, C. I. F. Franco, et al., “Antiparkinsonian-like effects of Plumbago scandens on tremorine-induced tremors methodology,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 745–749, 2004.
- K. C. Montgomery, “The relationship between fear induced by novel stimulation an exploration behavior,” Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 254–260, 1955.
- L. Prut and C. Belzung, “The open field as a paradigm to measure the effects of drugs on anxiety-like behaviors: a review,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 463, no. 1–3, pp. 3–33, 2003.
- R. Koster, M. Anderson, and E. J. Debber, “Acetic acid for analgesic screening,” Federation Proceedings, vol. 18, pp. 418–420, 1959.
- H. O. J. Collier, L. C. Dinneen, C. A. Johnson, et al., “The abdominal constriction response and its suppression by analgesic drugs in the mouse,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 295–310, 1968.
- G. M. Nardi, S. Dalbó, F. D. Monache, et al., “Antinociceptive effect of Croton celtidifolius Baill (Euphorbiaceae),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2006.
- M. M. Souza, A. Madeira, C. Berti, R. Krogh, R. A. Yunes, and V. Cechinel-Filho, “Antinociceptive properties of the methanolic extract obtained from Ipomoea pes-caprae (L.) R. Br,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2000.
- S. Hunskaar and K. Hole, “The formalin test in mice: dissociation between inflammatory and non-inflammatory pain,” Pain, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 103–114, 1987.
- R. N. Almeida, Psicofarmacologia: Fundamentos Práticos, Guanabara Koogan, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1st edition, 2006.
- A. Fernández-Guasti, A. Ferreira, and O. Picazo, “Diazepam, but not buspirone, induces similar anxiolytic-like actions in lactating and ovariectomized wistar rats,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 85–93, 2001.
- A. Argal and A. K. Pathak, “CNS activity of Calotropis gigantea roots,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 142–145, 2006.
- F. A. Santos, V. S. N. Rao, and E. R. Silveira, “Studies on the neuropharmacological effects of Psidium guyanensis and Psidium pohlianum essential oils,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 655–658, 1996.
- D. S. Charney, S. J. Mihic, and R. A. Harris, “Hipnóticos e sedatives,” in As Bases Farmacológicas da Terapêutica, L. S. Goodman and A. Gilman, Eds., chapter 17, pp. 303–324, McGraw-Hill, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 10th edition, 2003.
- T. D. Goloubkova, E. Heckler, S. M. K. Rates, J. A. P. Henriques, and A. T. Henriques, “Inhibition of cytochrome P450-dependent monooxygenases by an alkaloid fraction from Helietta apiculata markedly potentiate the hypnotic action of pentobarbital,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 1998.
- M. A. Gyamfi, N. Hokama, K. Oppong-Boachie, et al., “Inhibitory effects of the medicinal herb, Thonningia sanguinea, on liver drug metabolizing enzymes of rats,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 623–631, 2000.
- S. A. Neves, A. L. P. Freitas, B. W. Sousa et al., “Antinociceptive properties in mice of a lectin isolated from the marine alga Amansia multifida Lamouroux,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 127–134, 2007.
- A. Capasso, V. De Feo, F. De Simone, and L. Sorrentino, “Pharmacological effects of aqueous extract from Valeriana adscendens,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 309–312, 1996.
- T. Sen and A. K. Nag Chaudhuri, “Studies on the neuropharmacological aspects of Pluchea indica root extract,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 175–179, 1992.
- A. M. Pultrini, L. A. Galindo, and M. Costa, “Effects of the essential oil from Citrus aurantium L. in experimental anxiety models in mice,” Life Sciences, vol. 78, no. 15, pp. 1720–1725, 2006.
- D. P. De Sousa, F. F. F. Nóbrega, F. S. Claudino, R. N. De Almeida, J. R. Leite, and R. Mattei, “Pharmacological effects of the monoterpene α, β-epoxy-carvone in mice,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 170–175, 2007.
- A. Ennaceur, S. Michalikova, and P. L. Chazot, “Models of anxiety: responses of rats to novelty in an open space and an enclosed space,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 26–49, 2006.
- F. Huang, Y. Xiong, L. Xu, S. Ma, and C. Dou, “Sedative and hypnotic activities of the ethanol fraction from Fructus Schisandrae in mice and rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 471–475, 2007.
- M. Angrini, J. C. Leslie, and R. A. Shephard, “Effects of propranalol, buspirone, pCPA, reserpine, and chordiazepoxide on open-field behaviour,” Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 387–397, 1998.
- D. Shaw, J. M. Annett, B. Doherty, and J. C. Leslie, “Anxiolytic effects of lavender oil inhalation on open-field behaviour in rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 613–620, 2007.
- U. A. Shinde, A. S. Phadke, A. M. Nair, A. A. Mungantiwar, V. J. Dikshit, and M. N. Saraf, “Studies on the anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity of Cedrus deodara (Roxb.) Loud. wood oil,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 21–27, 1999.
- M. S. Alexandre-Moreira, M. R. Piuvezam, C. C. Araújo, and G. Thomas, “Studies on the anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity of Curatella americana L,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 1999.
- G. N. T. Bastos, A. R. S. Santos, V. M. M. Ferreira et al., “Antinociceptive effect of the aqueous extract obtained from roots of Physalis angulata L. on mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 2006.
- S. Jabbar, M. T. H. Khan, and M. S. Choudhuri, “The effects of aqueous extracts of Desmodium gangeticum DC. (Leguminosae) on the central nervous system,” Pharmazie, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 506–508, 2001.
- L. G. O. Fischer, R. Leitão, S. R. Etcheverry et al., “Analgesic properties of extracts and fractions from Erythrina crista-galli (Fabaceae) leaves,” Natural Product Research, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 759–766, 2007.
- K. Morteza-Semnani, M. Saeedi, M. Hamidian, H. Vafamehr, and A. R. Dehpour, “Anti-inflammatory, analgesic activity and acute toxicity of Glaucium grandiflorum extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 80, no. 2-3, pp. 181–186, 2002.
- C. G. Heapy, A. Jamieson, and N. J. W. Russel, “Afferent C-fibre and A-δ activity in models of inflammation,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 90, p. 164, 1987.
- M. Shibata, T. Ohkubo, H. Takahashi, and R. Inoki, “Modified formalin test: characteristic biphasic pain response,” Pain, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 347–352, 1989.
- A. A. Ferreira, F. A. Amaral, I. D. G. Duarte et al., “Antinociceptive effect from Ipomoea cairica extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 105, no. 1-2, pp. 148–153, 2006.
- J. L. Henry, K. Yashpal, G. M. Pitcher, and T. J. Coderre, “Physiological evidence that the “interphase” in the formalin test is due to active inhibition,” Pain, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 1999.
- S. R. S. Lira, Efeitos farmacológicos do extrato etanólico de Combretum leprosum Mart. & Eicher sobre o sistema nervoso central, Mestrado em Produtos Naturais e Sintéticos Bioativos, Universidade Federal da Paraíba, João Pessoa, Brazil, 2001.
- A. Tjolsen, O. G. Berge, S. Hunskaar, J. H. Rosland, and K. Hole, “The formalin test: an evaluation of the method,” Pain, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 5–17, 1992.
- D. S. França, A. L. S. Souza, K. R. Almeida, S. S. Dolabella, C. Martinelli, and M. M. Coelho, “B vitamins induce an antinociceptive effect in the acetic acid and formaldehyde models of nociception in mice,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 421, no. 3, pp. 157–164, 2001.
- J. Miño, C. Acevedo, V. Moscatelli, G. Ferraro, and O. Hnatyszyn, “Antinociceptive effect of the aqueous extract of Balbisia calycina,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 179–182, 2002.
- C. Rujjanawate, D. Kanjanapothi, and A. Panthong, “Pharmacological effect and toxicity of alkaloids from Gelsemium elegans Benth,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 91–95, 2003.