- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 348218, 7 pages
Optical Biosensors: A Revolution Towards Quantum Nanoscale Electronics Device Fabrication
1Department of Engineering Physics, Tripura Institute of Technology, Narsingarh, Tripura-799009, India
2Department of Electronics and Telecommunication, Tripura Institute of Technology, Narsingarh, Tripura-799009, India
Received 16 June 2011; Accepted 9 August 2011
Academic Editor: Paul W. Doetsch
Copyright © 2011 D. Dey and T. Goswami. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Luo, J. Xu, W. Zhao, and H. Chen, “Glucose biosensor based on ENFET doped with SiO2 nanoparticles,” Sensors and Actuators: B, vol. 97, no. 2-3, pp. 249–255, 2004.
- W. Sant, M. Pourciel, J. Launay, T. Do Conto, A. Martinez, and P. Temple-Boyer, “Development of chemical field effect transistors for the detection of urea,” Sensors and Actuators: B, vol. 95, no. 1–3, pp. 309–314, 2003.
- J. Chen, J. Chou, T. Sun, and S. Hsiung, “Portable urea biosensor based on the extended-gate field effect transistor,” Sensors and Actuators: B, vol. 91, no. 1–3, pp. 180–186, 2003.
- A. P. Soldatkin, J. Montoriol, W. Sant, C. Martelet, and N. Jaffrezic-Renault, “A novel urea sensitive biosensor with extended dynamic range based on recombinant urease and ISFETs,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 131–135, 2003.
- R. P. H. Kooyman and L. M. Lechuga, “Handbook of Biosensors: Medicine,” in Food and the Environment, E. Kress-Rogers, Ed., p. 169, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1997.
- L. M. Lechuga, F. Prieto, and B. Sepúlveda, “Interferometric biosensors for environmental pollution detection,” in Optical Sensors for Industrial, R. Narayanaswamy and O. S. Wolfbeis, Eds., Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- R. G. Freeman, K. C. Grabar, K. J. Allison et al., “Self-assembled metal colloid monolayers: an approach to SERS substrates,” Science, vol. 267, no. 5204, pp. 1629–1632, 1995.
- G. Chumanov and S. Malynych, “Coupled planar silver nanoparticle arrays as refractive index sensors,” Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. S144–S147, 2006.
- S. Y. Chou and P. R. Krauss, “Imprint lithography with sub-10 nm feature size and high throughput,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 35, no. 1–4, pp. 237–240, 1997.
- M. Li, L. Chen, W. Zhang, and S. Y. Chou, “Pattern transfer fidelity of nanoimprint lithography on six-inch wafers,” Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 2003.
- D. C. Turner, C. Y. Chang, K. Fang, S. L. Brandow, and D. B. Murphy, “Selective adhesion of functional microtubules to patterned silane surfaces,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 2782–2789, 1995.
- A. D. McFarland and R. P. van Duyne, “Single silver nanoparticles as real-time optical sensors with zeptomole sensitivity,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1057–1062, 2003.
- S. Biswas, S. A. Hussain, and D. Bhattacharjee, “Spectroscopic characterizations of nonamphiphilic 2,5-bis (5-Tert-Butyl-Benzoxazolyl)-thiophene molecules at the air-water interface and in langmuirblodgett films,” Surface Review and Letters, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1–8, 2008.
- D. Dey, S. A. Hussain, R. K. Nath, and D. Bhattacharjee, “Preparation and characterization of an anionic dye-polycation molecular films by electrostatic layer-by-layer adsorption process,” Spectrochimica Acta: Part A, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 307–312, 2008.
- N. Nath and A. Chilkoti, “A colorimetric gold nanoparticle sensor to interrogate biomolecular interactions in real time on a surface,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 504–509, 2002.
- P. Schuck, “Use of surface plasmon resonance to probe the equilibrium and dynamic aspects of interactions between biological macromolecules,” Annual Review of Biophysics and Biomolecular Structure, vol. 26, pp. 541–566, 1997.
- W. Knoll, “Interfaces and thin films as seen by bound electromagnetic waves,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 569–638, 1998.
- R. Sosnowski, M. J. Heller, E. Tu, A. H. Forster, and R. Radtkey, “Active microelectronic array system for DNA hybridization, genotyping and pharmacogenomic applications,” Psychiatric Genetics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 181–192, 2002.
- M. Minunni, S. Tombelli, M. Mascini, A. Bilia, M. C. Bergonzi, and F. F. Vincieri, “An optical DNA-based biosensor for the analysis of bioactive constituents with application in drug and herbal drug screening,” Talanta, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 578–585, 2005.
- J. F. Rusling, E. G. Hvastkovs, D. O. Hull, and J. B. Schenkman, “Biochemical applications of ultrathin films of enzymes, polyions and DNA,” Chemical Communications, no. 2, pp. 141–154, 2008.
- M. Keusgen, “Biosensors: new approaches in drug discovery,” Nature, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 433–444, 2002.
- P. Vattanaviboon, K. Sangseekhiow, P. Winichagoon, and C. Promptmas, “Detection and haplotype differentiation of Southeast Asian α-thalassemia using polymerase chain reaction and a piezoelectric biosensor immobilized with a single oligonucleotide probe,” Translational Research, vol. 151, no. 5, pp. 246–254, 2008.
- H. Shi, T. Xia, A. E. Nel, and J. I. Yeh, “Part II: coordinated biosensors—development of enhanced nanobiosensors for biological and medical applications,” Nanomedicine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 599–614, 2007.
- R. Gambari and G. Feriotto, “Surface plasmon resonance for detection of genetically modified organisms in the food supply,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 893–897, 2006.
- A. Logrieco, D. W. Arrigan, K. Brengel-Pesce, P. Siciliano, and I. Tothill, “DNA arrays, electronic noses and tongues, biosensors and receptors for rapid detection of toxigenic fungi and mycotoxins: a review,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 335–344, 2005.
- E. R. Richter, “Biosensors: applications for dairy food industry,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 3114–3117, 1993.
- D. Ivnitski, D. J. O'Neil, A. Gattuso, R. Schlicht, M. Calidonna, and R. Fisher, “Nucleic acid approaches for detection and identification of biological warfare and infectious disease agents,” BioTechniques, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 862–869, 2003.
- I. Palchetti and M. Mascini, “Nucleic acid biosensors for environmental pollution monitoring,” Analyst, vol. 133, no. 7, pp. 846–854, 2008.
- F. Dondero, L. Piacentini, F. Marsano et al., “Gene transcription profiling in pollutant exposed mussels (Mytilus spp.) using a new low-density oligonucleotide microarray,” Gene, vol. 376, no. 1-2, pp. 24–36, 2006.
- P. Venier, C. de Pittà, A. Pallavicini et al., “Development of mussel mRNA profiling: can gene expression trends reveal coastal water pollution?” Mutation Research, vol. 602, no. 1-2, pp. 121–134, 2006.
- M. J. LaGier, J. W. Fell, and K. D. Goodwin, “Electrochemical detection of harmful algae and other microbial contaminants in coastal waters using hand-held biosensors,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 757–770, 2007.
- A. Kahvejian, J. Quackenbush, and J. F. Thompson, “What would you do if you could sequence everything?” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1125–1133, 2008.
- J. Shendure and H. Ji, “Next-generation DNA sequencing,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1135–1145, 2008.
- S. Nagl, M. Schaeferling, and O. S. Wolfbeis, “Fluorescence analysis in microarray technology,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 151, no. 1-2, pp. 1–21, 2005.
- H. Sirringhaus, P. J. Brown, R. H. Friend et al., “Two-dimensional charge transport in self-organized, high-mobility conjugated polymers,” Nature, vol. 401, no. 6754, pp. 685–688, 1999.
- J. Kong, N. R. Franklin, C. Zhou et al., “Nanotube molecular wires as chemical sensors,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5453, pp. 622–625, 2000.
- M. Schäferling and S. Nagl, “Optical technologies for the read out and quality control of DNA and protein microarrays,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 385, no. 3, pp. 500–517, 2006.
- N. Jaffrezic-Renault, C. Martelet, P. Clechet, et al., “Comparison of two transduction modes for design of microbiosensors applicable to detection of pesticides (S&M 0233),” Sensors and Materials, vol. 8, pp. 161–168, 1996.
- M. Dufva, “Fabrication of high quality microarrays,” Biomolecular Engineering, vol. 22, no. 5-6, pp. 173–184, 2005.
- A. Sassolas, B. D. Leca-Bouvier, and L. J. Blum, “DNA biosensors and microarrays,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 109–139, 2008.
- S. Campanaro, C. Romualdi, M. Fanin et al., “Gene expression profiling in dysferlinopathies using a dedicated muscle microarray,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 11, no. 26, pp. 3283–3298, 2002.
- M. Campàs and I. Katakis, “DNA biochip arraying, detection and amplification strategies,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 49–62, 2004.
- D. Branton, D. W. Deamer, A. Marziali et al., “The potential and challenges of nanopore sequencing,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1146–1153, 2008.
- J. A. Shendure, G. J. Porreca, and G. M. Church, “Overview of DNA sequencing strategies,” Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, no. 81, pp. 7.1.1–7.1.11, 2008.
- J. Eid, A. Fehr, J. Gray et al., “Real-time DNA sequencing from single polymerase molecules,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5910, pp. 133–138, 2009.
- S. A. Hussain, D. Dey, D. Bhattacharjee, and S. Sinha, “Immobilization of single strand DNA on solid substrate,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 450, no. 1–3, pp. 49–54, 2007.
- D. Dey, S. A. Hussain, and D. Bhattacharjee, “Layer-by-layer self assembled films of rosebengal,” International Journal of Modern Physics B. In press.
- S. A. Hussain, M. N. Islam, H. Leeman, and D. Bhattacharjee, “Aggregation of p-terphenyl along with PMMA/SA at the Langmuir and Langmuir-Blodgett films,” Surface Review and Letters, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- D. Dey, M. N. Islam, S. A. Hussain, and D. Bhattacharjee, “Effect of temperature and ionic concentration on self-assembled films of Chicago sky blue,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 3732–3734, 2008.