- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 351982, 14 pages
Rodent Models for Metabolic Syndrome Research
Department of Biological and Physical Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, QLD 4350, Australia
Received 23 September 2010; Revised 1 December 2010; Accepted 2 December 2010
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2011 Sunil K. Panchal and Lindsay Brown. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [41 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- G. Corona, G. Rastrelli, A. Morelli, L. Vignozzi, E. Mannucci, and M. Maggi, “Hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 557–567, 2011.
- B. Rinaldi, C. Di Filippo, A. Capuano, M. Donniacuo, L. Sodano, F. Ferraraccio, F. Rossi, and M. D'Amico, “Adiponectin elevation by telmisartan ameliorates ischaemic myocardium in zucker diabetic fatty rats with metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 320–328, 2011.
- Abishek Iyer, David P Fairlie, and Lindsay Brown, “Lysine acetylation in obesity, diabetes and metabolic disease,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2011.
- Vishal Diwan, Hemant Poudyal, and Lindsay Brown, “Piperine Attenuates Cardiovascular, Liver and Metabolic Changes in High Carbohydrate, High Fat-Fed Rats,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 297–304, 2011.
- Christopher R. Lindholm, Rebecca L. Ertel, Jake D. Bauwens, Eric G. Schmuck, Jacob D. Mulligan, and Kurt W. Saupe, “A high-fat diet decreases AMPK activity in multiple tissues in the absence of hyperglycemia or systemic inflammation in rats,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 165–175, 2012.
- Zoltan Giricz, Robert M. Mentzer, and Roberta A. Gottlieb, “Autophagy, Myocardial Protection, and the Metabolic Syndrome,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2012.
- Myrian Velasco, Carlos Larqué, Gabriela Gutiérrez-Reyes, Reynaldo Arredondo, Carmen Sanchez-Soto, and Marcia Hiriart, “Metabolic syndrome induces changes in KATP-channels and calcium currents in pancreatic β-cells,” Islets, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 302–311, 2012.
- Sunil K. Panchal, Hemant Poudyal, and Lindsay Brown, “Quercetin Ameliorates Cardiovascular, Hepatic, and Metabolic Changes in Die t-Induced Metabolic Syndrome in Rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 1026–1032, 2012.
- Hemant Poudyal, Sunil K. Panchal, Leigh C. Ward, Jennifer Waanders, and Lindsay Brown, “Chronic high-carbohydrate, high-fat feeding in rats induces reversible meta bolic, cardiovascular, and liver changes,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 302, no. 12, pp. E1472–E1482, 2012.
- Ruth B. S. Harris, and John W. Apolzan, “Changes in glucose tolerance and leptin responsiveness of rats offered a ch oice of lard, sucrose, and chow,” American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physi, vol. 302, no. 11, pp. R1327–R1339, 2012.
- Tae Seok Oh, and Jong Won Yun, “DNA microarray analysis reveals differential gene expression in the soleus muscle between male and female rats exposed to a high fat diet,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 6569–6580, 2012.
- Hwancheol Son, Woo Suk Choi, Jae-Seung Paick, and Won Hee Park, “Detrusor Overactivity in Hyperchoelsterolemia Rats,” LUTS: Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms, vol. 4, pp. 16–20, 2012.
- Makoto Asahina, Tomoji Mashimo, Michiyasu Takeyama, Ryuichi Tozawa, Tadatoshi Hashimoto, Akiko Takizawa, Masatsugu Ueda, Toshihiro Aoto, Takashi Kuramoto, and Tadao Serikawa, “Hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis in low density lipoprotein receptor mutant rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 418, no. 3, pp. 553–558, 2012.
- Isabelle Cameron, Mohammad Ashraful Alam, Jianxiong Wang, and Lindsay Brown, “Endurance exercise in a rat model of metabolic syndrome,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1490–1497, 2012.
- Adriana Matias da Silva, Christiane Leal Corrêa, Renata Heisler Neves, and José Roberto Machado-Silva, “A high-fat diet associated with acute schistosomiasis mansoni causes disorganization in splenic architecture in mice,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 193–199, 2012.
- Hiroyuki Tsuchiya, Yoshito Ikeda, Yu Ebata, Chihiro Kojima, Rikutaro Katsuma, Tatsuaki Tsuruyama, Tomohiko Sakabe, Kohei Shomori, Noriko Komeda, Shoko Oshiro, Hideharu Okamoto, Kazuko Takubo, Susumu Hama, Koichi Shudo, Kentaro Kogure, and Goshi Shiota, “Retinoids ameliorate insulin resistance in a leptin-dependent manner in mice,” Hepatology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1319–1330, 2012.
- Dhanapalan Karthik, Elumalai Arunkumar, Periasamy Viswanathan, and Carani Venkatraman Anuradha, “Rosmarinic acid treatment alleviates fibrotic changes in the myocardium induced in a rat model of insulin resistance,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, vol. 2, pp. S920–S926, 2012.
- Richard R. Almon, Debra C. DuBois, Siddharth Sukumaran, Xi Wang, Bai Xue, Jing Nie, and William J. Jusko, “Effects of high fat feeding on liver gene expression in diabetic goto-Kakizaki rats,” Gene Regulation and Systems Biology, vol. 2012, no. 6, pp. 151–168, 2012.
- Masashi Shiomi, Tsutomu Kobayashi, Nobue Kuniyoshi, Satoshi Yamada, and Takashi Ito, “Myocardial Infarction-Prone Watanabe Heritable Hyperlipidemic Rabbits with Mesenteric Fat Accumulation Are a Novel Animal Model for Metabolic Syndrome ,” Pathobiology, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 329–338, 2012.
- Min-Tser Liao, Chih-Chien Sung, Kuo-Chin Hung, Chia-Chao Wu, Lan Lo, and Kuo-Cheng Lu, “Insulin Resistance in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- Le Zhang, Kalavathi Dasuri, Sun-Ok Fernandez-Kim, Annadora J. Bruce-Keller, Linnea R. Freeman, Jennifer K. Pepping, Tina L. Beckett, M. Paul Murphy, and Jeffrey N. Keller, “Prolonged diet induced obesity has minimal effects towards brain pathology in mouse model of cerebral amyloid angiopathy: Implications for studying obesity–brain interactions in mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1832, no. 9, pp. 1456–1462, 2013.
- Victor Pallarès, Lídia Cedó, Anna Castell-Auví, Montserrat Pinent, Anna Ardévol, Lluís Arola, and Mayte Blay, “Effects of grape seed procyanidin extract over low-grade chronic inflammation of obese Zucker fa/fa rats,” Food Research International, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 319–324, 2013.
- Jiqian Huang, Kelly J. Ledford, William B. Pitkin, Lucia Russo, Sonia M. Najjar, and Helmy M. Siragy, “Targeted deletion of murine CEACAM 1 activates PI3K-Akt signaling and contributes to the expression of (pro)renin receptor via CREB family and NF-κB transcription factors,” Hypertension, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 317–323, 2013.
- Li Zhang, Dan Xu, Benjian Zhang, Yansong Liu, Fenglong Chu, Yuming Guo, Jun Gong, Xun Zheng, Liaobin Chen, and Hui Wang, “Prenatal Food Restriction Induces a Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenocortical Axis-associated Neuroendocrine Metabolic Programmed Alteration in Adult Offspring Rats,” Archives of Medical Research, 2013.
- Hirofumi Imoto, Chikashi Shibata, Fumie Ikezawa, Daisuke Kikuchi, Soutoku Someya, Koh Miura, Takeshi Naitoh, and Michiaki Unno, “Effects of duodeno-jejunal bypass on glucose metabolism in obese rats with type 2 diabetes,” Surgery Today, 2013.
- Yuan Yu Lin, Ching Yi Chen, Yun Lin, Yao Pang Chiu, Chih Chien Chen, Bing Hsien Liu, Harry John Mersmann, Shinn Chih Wu, and Shih Torng Ding, “Modulation of glucose and lipid metabolism by porcine adiponectin receptor 1–transgenic mesenchymal stromal cells in diet-induced obese mice,” Cytotherapy, 2013.
- Lyne Fellmann, Alessandro R. Nascimento, Eduardo Tibiriça, and Pascal Bousquet, “Murine models for pharmacological studies of the metabolic syndrome,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 331–340, 2013.
- Sunil K. Panchal, and Lindsay Brown, “Cardioprotective and hepatoprotective effects of ellagitannins from European oak bark (Quercus petraea L.) extract in rats,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 397–408, 2013.
- Kelly A. Hodgson, Brenda L. Govan, Anna K. Walduck, Natkunam Ketheesan, and Jodie L. Morris, “Impaired early cytokine responses at the site of infection in a murine model of type 2 diabetes and melioidosis comorbidity,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 470–477, 2013.
- Monika Nesteruk, Ewa E. Hennig, Michal Mikula, Jakub Karczmarski, Artur Dzwonek, Krzysztof Goryca, Tymon Rubel, Agnieszka Paziewska, Marek Woszczynski, Joanna Ledwon, Michalina Dabrowska, Michal Dadlez, and Jerzy Ostrowski, “Mitochondrial-related proteomic changes during obesity and fasting in mice are greater in the liver than skeletal muscles,” Functional & Integrative Genomics, 2013.
- Nicholas J. Galt, Jacob Michael Froehlich, Ben M. Meyer, Frederic T. Barrows, and Peggy R. Biga, “High-fat diet reduces local myostatin-1 paralog expression and alters skeletal muscle lipid content in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss,” Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 2013.
- Dan Xu, Li-ping Xia, Lang Shen, You-ying Lei, Lian Liu, Li Zhang, Jacques Magdalou, and Hui Wang, “Prenatal nicotine exposure enhances the susceptibility to metabolic syndrome in adult offspring rats fed high-fat diet via alteration of HPA axis-associated neuroendocrine metabolic programming,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, 2013.
- Romain Dissard, Julie Klein, Cecile Caubet, Benjamin Breuil, Justyna Siwy, Janosch Hoffman, Laurent Sicard, Laure Ducasse, Simon Rascalou, Bruno Payre, Marie Buleon, William Mullen, Harald Mischak, Ivan Tack, Jean-Loup Bascands, and Benedicte Buffin-Meyer, “Long Term Metabolic Syndrome Induced by a High Fat High Fructose Diet Leads to Minimal Renal Injury in C57BL/6 Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Marinei Cristina Pereira Ribeiro, Daiana Silva de Ávila, Nilda Berenice de Vargas Barbosa, Daiane Francine Meinerz, Emily Pansera Waczuk, Waseem Hassan, and João Batista Teixeira Rocha, “Hydrochlorothiazide and high-fat diets reduce plasma magnesium levels and increase hepatic oxidative stress in rats,” Magnesium Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 32–40, 2013.
- Faridah Amin, and Anwar H. Gilani, “Fiber-free white flour with fructose offers a better model of metabolic syndrome,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 12, no. 1, 2013.
- Marco Mainardi, Tommaso Pizzorusso, and Margherita Maffei, “Environment, Leptin Sensitivity, and Hypothalamic Plasticity,” Neural Plasticity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Mark E. Wilson, Carla J. Moore, Kelly F. Ethun, and Zachary P. Johnson, “Understanding the Control of Ingestive Behavior in Primates,” Hormones and Behavior, 2014.
- C Laflamme, G Bertheau-Mailhot, M S Giambelluca, N Cloutier, E Boilard, and M Pouliot, “Evidence of impairment of normal inflammatory reaction by a high-fat diet,” Genes and Immunity, 2014.
- L.p. Xia, L. Shen, H. Kou, B.J. Zhang, L. Zhang, Y. Wu, X.J. Li, J. Xiong, Y. Yu, and H. Wang, “Prenatal ethanol exposure enhance the susceptibility to metabolic syndrome in offspring rats by HPA axis-associated neuroendocrine metabolic programming,” Toxicology Letters, 2014.
- Giridhar Kanuri, Ruth Ladurner, Julia Skibovskaya, Astrid Spruss, Alfred Königsrainer, Stephan C. Bischoff, and Ina Bergheim, “Expression of toll-like receptors 1-5 but not TLR 6-10 is elevated in livers of patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Liver International, 2014.
- Min Chul Kho, Yun Jung Lee, Jeong Dan Cha, Kyung Min Choi, Dae Gill Kang, and Ho Sub Lee, “Gastrodia elata Ameliorates High-Fructose Diet-Induced Lipid Metabolism and Endothelial Dysfunction,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–10, 2014.