- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 351982, 14 pages
Rodent Models for Metabolic Syndrome Research
Department of Biological and Physical Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, QLD 4350, Australia
Received 23 September 2010; Revised 1 December 2010; Accepted 2 December 2010
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2011 Sunil K. Panchal and Lindsay Brown. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- G. Corona, G. Rastrelli, A. Morelli, L. Vignozzi, E. Mannucci, and M. Maggi, “Hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 557–567, 2011.
- B. Rinaldi, C. Di Filippo, A. Capuano, M. Donniacuo, L. Sodano, F. Ferraraccio, F. Rossi, and M. D'Amico, “Adiponectin elevation by telmisartan ameliorates ischaemic myocardium in zucker diabetic fatty rats with metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 320–328, 2011.
- Abishek Iyer, David P Fairlie, and Lindsay Brown, “Lysine acetylation in obesity, diabetes and metabolic disease,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2011.
- Vishal Diwan, Hemant Poudyal, and Lindsay Brown, “Piperine Attenuates Cardiovascular, Liver and Metabolic Changes in High Carbohydrate, High Fat-Fed Rats,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 297–304, 2011.
- Christopher R. Lindholm, Rebecca L. Ertel, Jake D. Bauwens, Eric G. Schmuck, Jacob D. Mulligan, and Kurt W. Saupe, “A high-fat diet decreases AMPK activity in multiple tissues in the absence of hyperglycemia or systemic inflammation in rats,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 165–175, 2012.
- Zoltan Giricz, Robert M. Mentzer, and Roberta A. Gottlieb, “Autophagy, Myocardial Protection, and the Metabolic Syndrome,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2012.
- Myrian Velasco, Carlos Larqué, Gabriela Gutiérrez-Reyes, Reynaldo Arredondo, Carmen Sanchez-Soto, and Marcia Hiriart, “Metabolic syndrome induces changes in KATP-channels and calcium currents in pancreatic β-cells,” Islets, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 302–311, 2012.
- Sunil K. Panchal, Hemant Poudyal, and Lindsay Brown, “Quercetin Ameliorates Cardiovascular, Hepatic, and Metabolic Changes in Die t-Induced Metabolic Syndrome in Rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 1026–1032, 2012.
- Tae Seok Oh, and Jong Won Yun, “DNA microarray analysis reveals differential gene expression in the soleus muscle between male and female rats exposed to a high fat diet,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 6569–6580, 2012.
- Hemant Poudyal, Sunil K. Panchal, Leigh C. Ward, Jennifer Waanders, and Lindsay Brown, “Chronic high-carbohydrate, high-fat feeding in rats induces reversible meta bolic, cardiovascular, and liver changes,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 302, no. 12, pp. E1472–E1482, 2012.
- Ruth B. S. Harris, and John W. Apolzan, “Changes in glucose tolerance and leptin responsiveness of rats offered a ch oice of lard, sucrose, and chow,” American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physi, vol. 302, no. 11, pp. R1327–R1339, 2012.
- Hwancheol Son, Woo Suk Choi, Jae-Seung Paick, and Won Hee Park, “Detrusor Overactivity in Hyperchoelsterolemia Rats,” LUTS: Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms, vol. 4, pp. 16–20, 2012.
- Makoto Asahina, Tomoji Mashimo, Michiyasu Takeyama, Ryuichi Tozawa, Tadatoshi Hashimoto, Akiko Takizawa, Masatsugu Ueda, Toshihiro Aoto, Takashi Kuramoto, and Tadao Serikawa, “Hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis in low density lipoprotein receptor mutant rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 418, no. 3, pp. 553–558, 2012.
- Isabelle Cameron, Mohammad Ashraful Alam, Jianxiong Wang, and Lindsay Brown, “Endurance exercise in a rat model of metabolic syndrome,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1490–1497, 2012.
- Adriana Matias da Silva, Christiane Leal Corrêa, Renata Heisler Neves, and José Roberto Machado-Silva, “A high-fat diet associated with acute schistosomiasis mansoni causes disorganization in splenic architecture in mice,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 193–199, 2012.
- Hiroyuki Tsuchiya, Yoshito Ikeda, Yu Ebata, Chihiro Kojima, Rikutaro Katsuma, Tatsuaki Tsuruyama, Tomohiko Sakabe, Kohei Shomori, Noriko Komeda, Shoko Oshiro, Hideharu Okamoto, Kazuko Takubo, Susumu Hama, Koichi Shudo, Kentaro Kogure, and Goshi Shiota, “Retinoids ameliorate insulin resistance in a leptin-dependent manner in mice,” Hepatology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1319–1330, 2012.
- Dhanapalan Karthik, Elumalai Arunkumar, Periasamy Viswanathan, and Carani Venkatraman Anuradha, “Rosmarinic acid treatment alleviates fibrotic changes in the myocardium induced in a rat model of insulin resistance,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, vol. 2, pp. S920–S926, 2012.
- Masashi Shiomi, Tsutomu Kobayashi, Nobue Kuniyoshi, Satoshi Yamada, and Takashi Ito, “Myocardial Infarction-Prone Watanabe Heritable Hyperlipidemic Rabbits with Mesenteric Fat Accumulation Are a Novel Animal Model for Metabolic Syndrome ,” Pathobiology, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 329–338, 2012.
- Min-Tser Liao, Chih-Chien Sung, Kuo-Chin Hung, Chia-Chao Wu, Lan Lo, and Kuo-Cheng Lu, “Insulin Resistance in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- Le Zhang, Kalavathi Dasuri, Sun-Ok Fernandez-Kim, Annadora J. Bruce-Keller, Linnea R. Freeman, Jennifer K. Pepping, Tina L. Beckett, M. Paul Murphy, and Jeffrey N. Keller, “Prolonged diet induced obesity has minimal effects towards brain pathology in mouse model of cerebral amyloid angiopathy: Implications for studying obesity–brain interactions in mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1832, no. 9, pp. 1456–1462, 2013.
- Victor Pallarès, Lídia Cedó, Anna Castell-Auví, Montserrat Pinent, Anna Ardévol, Lluís Arola, and Mayte Blay, “Effects of grape seed procyanidin extract over low-grade chronic inflammation of obese Zucker fa/fa rats,” Food Research International, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 319–324, 2013.
- Li Zhang, Dan Xu, Benjian Zhang, Yansong Liu, Fenglong Chu, Yuming Guo, Jun Gong, Xun Zheng, Liaobin Chen, and Hui Wang, “Prenatal Food Restriction Induces a Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenocortical Axis-associated Neuroendocrine Metabolic Programmed Alteration in Adult Offspring Rats,” Archives of Medical Research, 2013.
- Hirofumi Imoto, Chikashi Shibata, Fumie Ikezawa, Daisuke Kikuchi, Soutoku Someya, Koh Miura, Takeshi Naitoh, and Michiaki Unno, “Effects of duodeno-jejunal bypass on glucose metabolism in obese rats with type 2 diabetes,” Surgery Today, 2013.
- Yuan Yu Lin, Ching Yi Chen, Yun Lin, Yao Pang Chiu, Chih Chien Chen, Bing Hsien Liu, Harry John Mersmann, Shinn Chih Wu, and Shih Torng Ding, “Modulation of glucose and lipid metabolism by porcine adiponectin receptor 1–transgenic mesenchymal stromal cells in diet-induced obese mice,” Cytotherapy, 2013.
- Lyne Fellmann, Alessandro R. Nascimento, Eduardo Tibiriça, and Pascal Bousquet, “Murine models for pharmacological studies of the metabolic syndrome,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 331–340, 2013.
- Monika Nesteruk, Ewa E. Hennig, Michal Mikula, Jakub Karczmarski, Artur Dzwonek, Krzysztof Goryca, Tymon Rubel, Agnieszka Paziewska, Marek Woszczynski, Joanna Ledwon, Michalina Dabrowska, Michal Dadlez, and Jerzy Ostrowski, “Mitochondrial-related proteomic changes during obesity and fasting in mice are greater in the liver than skeletal muscles,” Functional & Integrative Genomics, 2013.
- Marco Mainardi, Tommaso Pizzorusso, and Margherita Maffei, “Environment, Leptin Sensitivity, and Hypothalamic Plasticity,” Neural Plasticity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.