- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 360457, 9 pages
Effects of a Tumor Necrosis Factor-α Antagonist on Experimentally Induced Rhinosinusitis
1Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Incheon St. Mary's Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul 137-040, Republic of Korea
2Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Seoul St. Mary's Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo-Dong, Seocho-Gu, Seoul 137-040, Republic of Korea
Received 10 September 2010; Revised 14 March 2011; Accepted 3 April 2011
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Dong-Hyun Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Rylander, “Endotoxin in the environment—exposure and effects,” Journal of Endotoxin Research, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 241–252, 2002.
- S. M. Mucha and F. M. Baroody, “Sinusitis update,” Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2003.
- E. Appenroth, A. R. Gunkel, H. Müller, C. Völklein, and A. Schrott-Fischer, “Activated and non-activated eosinophils in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 240–242, 1998.
- D. S. Liu, W. J. Liu, L. Chen et al., “Rosiglitazone, a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ agonist, attenuates acrolein-induced airway mucus hypersecretion in rats,” Toxicology, vol. 260, no. 1–3, pp. 112–119, 2009.
- L. Chen, T. Wang, J. Y. Zhang et al., “Toll-like receptor 4 relates to lipopolysaccharide-induced mucus hypersecretion in rat airway,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2009.
- D. H. Lee, Y. S. Park, T. T. K. Jung, S. W. Yeo, Y. C. Choi, and E. J. Jeon, “Effect of tumor necrosis factor-α on experimental otitis media with effusion,” Laryngoscope, vol. 111, no. 4, part 1, pp. 728–733, 2001.
- D. H. Kim, Y. S. Park, E. J. Jeon, S. W. Yeo, K. H. Chang, and S. K. Lee, “Effects of tumor necrosis factor alpha antagonist, platelet activating factor antagonist, and nitric oxide synthase inhibitor on experimental otitis media with effusion,” The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 617–623, 2006.
- D. H. Lee, S. W. Yeo, K. H. Chang, S. Y. Park, J. H. Oh, and J. H. Seo, “Effect of infliximab on experimentally induced otitis media in rats,” The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 470–476, 2008.
- D. Ophir, T. Hahn, A. Schattner, D. Wallach, and A. Aviel, “Tumor necrosis factor in middle ear effusions,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 1256–1258, 1988.
- J. S. Francisco, H. P. Moraes, and E. P. Dias, “Evaluation of the Image-Pro Plus 4.5 software for automatic counting of labeled nuclei by PCNA immunohistochemistry,” Brazilian Oral Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 100–104, 2004.
- J. H. Kim, S. Y. Lee, S. M. Bak et al., “Effects of matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor on LPS-induced goblet cell metaplasia,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 1, pp. L127–L133, 2004.
- T. Shimizu, H. Hirano, S. Shimizu, C. Kishioka, Y. Sakakura, and Y. Majima, “Differential properties of mucous glycoproteins in rat nasal epithelium: a comparison between allergic inflammation and lipopolysaccharide stimulation,” The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 1077–1082, 2001.
- I. Brook, “Microbiology and antimicrobial management of sinusitis,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 251–258, 2005.
- S. W. Cheung, K. C. Lee, and I. Cha, “Orbitocerebral complications of pseudomonas sinusitis,” Laryngoscope, vol. 102, no. 12, part 1, pp. 1385–1389, 1992.
- W. E. Bolger, D. Leonard, E.J. Dick Jr., and P. Stierna, “Gram-negative sinusitis: a bacteriologic and histologic study in rabbits,” American Journal of Rhinology, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 15–25, 1997.
- J. Hsu, D. C. Lanza, and D. W. Kennedy, “Antimicrobial resistance in bacterial chronic sinusitis,” American Journal of Rhinology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 243–248, 1998.
- R. S. Leung and R. Katial, “The diagnosis and management of aute and chronic sinusitis,” Primary Care, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 11–24, 2008.
- L. P. Schousboe, T. Ovesen, and C. B. Pedersen, “Middle ear epithelium has inflammatory capacity,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, Supplement, no. 543, pp. 89–91, 2000.
- M. Z. Alimam, F. M. Piazza, D. M. Selby, N. Letwin, LI. Huang, and M. C. Rose, “Muc-5/5ac mucin messenger RNA and protein expression is a marker of goblet cell metaplasia in murine airways,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 253–260, 2000.
- M. C. Rose, F. M. Piazza, Y. A. Chen et al., “Model systems for investigating mucin gene expression in airway diseases,” Journal of Aerosol Medicine: Deposition, Clearance, and Effects in the Lung, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 245–261, 2000.
- K. S. Song, W. J. Lee, K. C. chung et al., “Interleukin-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α induce MUC5AC overexpression through a mechanism involving ERK/p38 mitogen-activated protein kinases-MSK1-CREB activation in human airway epithelial cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 26, pp. 23243–23250, 2003.
- S. Y. Jeon, J. P. Kim, S. K. Ahn, E. A. Kim, and B. G. Kim, “Rat model of platelet-activating factor-induced rhinosinusitis,” The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 393–398, 2005.
- S. F. Liu, P. J. Barnes, and T. W. Evans, “Time course and cellular localization of lipopolysaccharide-induced inducible nitric oxide synthase messenger RNA expression in the rat in vivo,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 512–518, 1997.
- X.-M. Ou, Y.-L. Feng, F.-Q. Wen et al., “Macrolides attenuate mucus hypersecretion in rat airways through inactivation of NF-κB,” Respirology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 63–72, 2008.
- G. C. Higgins, J. L. Foster, and A. E. Postlethwaite, “Interleukin 1β propeptide is detected intracellularly and extracellularly when human monocytes are stimulated with LPS in vitro,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 607–614, 1994.
- G. Lin, A. E. Pearson, R. W. Scamurra et al., “Regulation of interleukin-8 expression in porcine alveolar macrophages by bacterial lipopolysaccharide,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 1994.
- H. Ohtsuka, K. Ohki, T. Tanaka, M. Tajima, T.-O. Yoshino, and K. Takahashi, “Circulating tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-1 after administration of LPS in adult cows,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 927–929, 1997.
- B. O. Anderson, J. M. Brown, D. D. Bensard et al., “Reversible lung neutrophil accumulation can cause lung injury by elastase-mediated mechanisms,” Surgery, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 262–268, 1990.
- M. Kishi, L. F. Richard, R. O. Webster, and T. E. Dahms, “Role of neutrophils in xanthine/xanthine oxidase-induced oxidant injury in isolated rabbit lungs,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 2319–2325, 1999.
- K. Kawabata, T. Hagio, and S. Matsuoka, “The role of neutrophil elastase in acute lung injury,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 451, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2002.
- B. C. Sheridan, R. C. McIntyre, E. E. Moore, D. R. Meldrum, J. Agrafojo, and D. A. Fullerton, “Neutrophils mediate pulmonary vasomotor dysfunction in endotoxin-induced acute lung injury,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 391–397, 1997.
- K. Maxwell, G. Leonard, and D. L. Kreutzer, “Cytokine expression in otitis media with effusion: tumor necrosis factor soluble receptor,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 984–988, 1997.