- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 419343, 8 pages
Ursolic Acid Inhibits Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis of Cancer Cells In Vitro and In Vivo
1PET-CT Center, The Affiliated Hospital of Inner Mongolia Medical College, TongDao North Street, Hohhot 010050, China
2Clinical Medical Research Center of the Affiliated Hospital, Inner Mongolia Medical College, TongDao North Street, Hohhot 010050, China
3Department of Medical Education, The Affiliated People's Hospital of Inner Mongolia Medical College, Zhaoruda Street, Hohhot 010010, China
Received 30 December 2010; Revised 22 March 2011; Accepted 4 April 2011
Academic Editor: David J. Yang
Copyright © 2011 Xuemei Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Xiao, Y. Fan, B. Chen, Q. Zhang, and H. Zeng, “Polysaccharides from Scurrula parasitica L. inhibit sarcoma S180 growth in mice,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 381–384, 2010.
- T. Gan, Z. Wu, L. Tian, and Y. Wang, “Chinese herbal medicines for induction of remission in advanced or late gastric cancer,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD005096, 2010.
- Z. G. Zhong, J. L. Huang, H. Liang, et al., “The effect of gallic acid extracted from leaves of Phyllanthus emblica on apoptosis of human hepatocellular carcinoma BEL-7404 cells,” Zhong Yao Cai, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1097–1101, 2009.
- N. Banno, T. Akihisa, H. Tokuda, et al., “Triterpene acids from the leaves of Perilla frutescens and their anti-inflammatory and antitumor-promoting effects,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2004.
- R. E. De Angel, S. M. Smith, R. D. Glickman, S. N. Perkins, and S. D. Hursting, “Antitumor effects of ursolic acid in a mouse model of postmenopausal breast cancer,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1074–1086, 2010.
- A. A. Ramos, C. Pereira-Wilson, and A. R. Collins, “Protective effects of ursolic acid and luteolin against oxidative DNA damage include enhancement of DNA repair in Caco-2 cells,” Mutation Research, vol. 692, no. 1–2, pp. 6–11, 2010.
- Y. Mizushina, A. Iida, K. Ohta, F. Sugawara, and K. Sakaguchi, “Novel triterpenoids inhibit both DNA polymerase and DNA topoisomerase,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 350, no. 3, pp. 757–763, 2000.
- F. Lauthier, L. Taillet, P. Trouillas, C. Delage, and A. Simon, “Ursolic acid triggers calcium-dependent apoptosis in human Daudi cells,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 737–745, 2000.
- J. S. Wang, T. N. Ren, and T. Xi, “Ursolic acid induces apoptosis by suppressing the expression of FoxM1 in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells,” Medical Oncology, 2010. In press.
- S. Prasad, V. R. Yadav, R. Kannappan, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Ursolic acid, a pentacyclin triterpene, potentiates TRAIL-induced apoptosis through p53-independent up-regulation of death receptors: evidence for the role of reactive oxygen species and JNK,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 7, pp. 5546–5557, 2011.
- Y. Achiwa, K. Hasegawa, T. Komiya, and Y. Udagawa, “Ursolic acid induces Bax-dependent apoptosis through the caspase-3 pathway in endometrial cancer SNG-II cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2005.
- D. Andersson, J. J. Liu, A. Nilsson, and R. D. Duan, “Ursolic acid inhibits proliferation and stimulates apoptosis in HT29 cells following activation of alkaline sphingomyelinase,” Anticancer Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 3317–3322, 2003.
- P. O. Harmand, R. Duval, C. Delage, and A. Simon, “Ursolic acid induces apoptosis through mitochondrial intrinsic pathway and caspase-3 activation in M4Beu melanoma cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2005.
- K. H. Lee, Y. M. Lin, T. S. Wu, et al., “The cytotoxic principles of Prunella vulgaris, Psychotria serpens, and Hyptis capitata: ursolic acid and related derivatives,” Planta Medica, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 308–311, 1988.
- M. Ganblod, J. Barker, R. Ma, L. Jones, and M. Carew, “Cytotoxicity and bioavailability studies on a decoction of Oldenlandia diffusa and its fractions separated by HPLC,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 396–403, 2010.
- J. Li, W. J. Guo, and Q. Y. Yang, “Effects of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid on human colon carcinoma cell line HCT15,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 493–495, 2002.
- W. Huang, J. Huang, D. Zhang, R. Zhang, and Z. Liao, “Study on anti-invasive effect and apoptosis induction of pentacyclic triterpenoid in human lung cancer cells,” Chinese Journal of Lung Cancer, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 254–257, 2003.
- M. Kanjoormana and G. Kuttan, “Antiangiogenic activity of ursolic acid,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 224–235, 2010.
- C. C. Lin, C. Y. Huang, M. C. Mong, C. Y. Chan, and M. C. Yin, “Antiangiogenic potential of three triterpenic acids in human liver cancer cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 755–762, 2011.
- Y. L. Hsu, P. L. Kuo, and C. C. Lin, “Proliferative inhibition, cell-cycle dysregulation, and induction of apoptosis by ursolic acid in human non-small cell lung cancer A549 cells,” Life Sciences, vol. 75, no. 19, pp. 2303–2316, 2004.
- W. Zhang, Y. Li, G. Zhang, J. Lü, and H. Ou, “Experimental study on MCF-7 cell apoptosis induced by ursolic acid,” Zhong Yao Cai, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 297–301, 2005.
- J. Zhang, T. Deng, and H. Chen, “Ursolic acid inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in human gastric carcinoma cell line BGC-823,” Medical Journal of Wuhan University, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 375–378, 2005.
- Y. H. Choi, J. H. Baek, M. A. Yoo, H. Y. Chung, N. D. Kim, and K. W. Kim, “Induction of apoptosis by ursolic acid through activation of caspases and down-regulation of c-IAPs in human prostate epithelial cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 565–571, 2000.