- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 456076, 9 pages
No Evidence for Statin-induced Proteinuria in Healthy Volunteers as Assessed by Proteomic Analysis
Laboratory of Pathophysiology, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerpen, Belgium
Received 21 April 2011; Revised 14 June 2011; Accepted 4 July 2011
Academic Editor: Yeon-Kyun Shin
Copyright © 2011 Anja Verhulst et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Tobert, “Lovastatin and beyond: the history of the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 517–526, 2003.
- P. T. Kovanen, D. W. Bilheimer, and J. L. Goldstein, “Regulatory role for hepatic low density lipoprotein receptors in vivo in the dog,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 1194–1198, 1981.
- J. L. Goldstein and M. S. Brown, “Regulation of the mevalonate pathway,” Nature, vol. 343, no. 6257, pp. 425–430, 1990.
- P. Ma, G. Gil, T. C. Sudhof, D. Bilheimer, J. Goldstein, and M. Brown, “Mevinolin, an inhibitor of cholesterol synthesis, induces mRNA for low density lipoprotein receptor in livers of hamsters and rabbits,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 83, no. 21, pp. 8370–8374, 1986.
- S. I. McFarlane, R. Muniyappa, R. Francisco, and J. R. Sowers, “Clinical review 145: pleiotropic effects of statins: lipid reduction and beyond,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1451–1458, 2002.
- D. E. Wilmington, “Crestor [package insert],” AstraZeneca, 2003.
- H. B. Brewer, “Benefit-risk assessment of Rosuvastatin 10 to 40 milligrams,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 92, pp. K23–K29, 2003.
- D. G. Vidt, M. D. Cressman, S. Harris, J. S. Pears, and H. G. Hutchinson, “Rosuvastatin-induced arrest in progression of renal disease,” Cardiology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 52–60, 2004.
- A. Verhulst, P. C. D'Haese, and M. E. De Broe, “Inhibitors of HMG-CoA reductase reduce receptor-mediated endocytosis in human kidney proximal tubular cells,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2249–2257, 2004.
- J. E. Sidaway, R. G. Davidson, F. McTaggart et al., “IInhibitors of HMG-CoA reductase reduce receptor-mediated endocytosis in opossum kidney cells,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2257–2265, 2004.
- S. Ellis and H. Mellor, “Regulation of endocytic traffic by Rho family GTPases,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 85–88, 2000.
- V. Pizon, M. Desjardins, C. Bucci, R. G. Parton, and M. Zerial, “Association of Rap1a and Rap1b proteins with late endocytic/phagocytic compartments and Rap2a with the Golgi complex,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 1661–1670, 1994.
- J. S. Rodman and A. Wandinger-Ness, “Rab GTPases coordinate endocytosis,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 2000.
- A. Tiwari, “An overview of statin-associated proteinuria,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 11, no. 9-10, pp. 458–464, 2006.
- T. I. Kassimatis and P. A. Konstantinopoulos, “The role of statins in chronic kidney disease (CKD): friend or foe?” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 312–323, 2009.
- K. Shepherd, D. G. Vidt, E. Miller, S. Harris, and J. Blasetto, “Safety of rosuvastatin: update on 16,876 rosuvastatin-treated patients in a multinational clinical trial program,” Cardiology, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 433–443, 2007.
- J. M. McKenney, M. H. Davidson, T. A. Jacobson, and J. R. Guyton, “Final conclusions and recommendations of the national lipid association statin safety assessment task force,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. S89–S94, 2006.
- M. S. Kostapanos, H. J. Milionis, V. G. Saougos et al., “Dose-dependent effect of rosuvastatin treatment on urinary protein excretion,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 292–297, 2007.
- M. Abbate, C. Zoja, D. Corna, M. Capitanio, T. Bertani, and G. Remuzzi, “In progressive nephropathies, overload of tubular cells with filtered proteins translates glomerular permeability dysfunction into cellular signals of interstitial inflammation,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1213–1224, 1998.
- M. Abbate, C. Zoja, D. Rottoli et al., “Antiproteinuric therapy while preventing the abnormal protein traffic in proximal tubule abrogates protein- and complement-dependent interstitial inflammation in experimental renal disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 804–813, 1999.
- R. Donadelli, C. Zanchi, M. Morigi et al., “Protein overload induces fractalkine upregulation in proximal tubular cells through nuclear factor kB- and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent pathways,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 2436–2446, 2003.
- M. Abbate, C. Zoja, and G. Remuzzi, “How does proteinuria cause progressive renal damage?” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2974–2984, 2006.
- R. Chana, J. Sidaway, and N. Brunskill, “Statins but not thiazolidinediones attenuate album-mediated chemokine production ay proximal tubular cells independently of endocytosis,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 28, pp. 823–830, 2010.
- J. A. Farmer, “Pleiotropic effects of statins,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 208–217, 2000.
- Z. A. Massy and C. Guijarro, “Statins: effects beyond cholesterol lowering,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1738–1741, 2001.
- M. Katayama, M. Kawata, Y. Yoshida et al., “The posttranslationally modified C-terminal structure of bovine aortic smooth muscle rhoA p21,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 266, no. 19, pp. 12639–12645, 1991.
- N. Mitin, A. J. Kudla, S. F. Konieczny, and E. J. Taparowsky, “Differential effects of Ras signaling through NFkB on skeletal myogenesis,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1276–1286, 2001.