- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 461979, 6 pages
Emerging Functions of Transcription Factors in Malaria Parasite
Malaria Group, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, P.O. Box 10504, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067, India
Received 15 June 2011; Revised 30 August 2011; Accepted 30 August 2011
Academic Editor: Abhay R. Satoskar
Copyright © 2011 Renu Tuteja et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Hausner and M. Thomm, “Events during initiation of Archaeal transcription: open complex formation and DNA-protein interactions,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 183, no. 10, pp. 3025–3031, 2001.
- G. Bar-Nahum, V. Epshtein, A. E. Ruckenstein, R. Rafikov, A. Mustaev, and E. Nudler, “A ratchet mechanism of transcription elongation and its control,” Cell, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 183–193, 2005.
- R. D. Kornberg, “The molecular basis of eukaryotic transcription,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 32, pp. 12955–12961, 2007.
- H. Kohzaki and Y. Murakami, “Transcription factors and DNA replication origin selection,” BioEssays, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1107–1116, 2005.
- T. A. Baker and S. P. Bell, “Polymerases and the replisome: machines within machines,” Cell, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 295–305, 1998.
- R. D. Kornberg, “Eukaryotic transcriptional control,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. M46–M49, 1999.
- R. Tuteja, “Malaria—an overview,” FEBS Journal, vol. 274, no. 18, pp. 4670–4679, 2007.
- B. M. Greenwood, D. A. Fidock, D. E. Kyle et al., “Malaria: progress, perils, and prospects for eradication,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 1266–1276, 2008.
- WHO Report, http://www.who.int/malaria/world_malaria_report_2010/en/index.html.
- M. J. Gardner, N. Hall, E. Fung et al., “Genome sequence of the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum,” Nature, vol. 419, no. 6906, pp. 498–511, 2002.
- B. I. Coleman and M. T. Duraisingh, “Transcriptional control and gene silencing in Plasmodium falciparum,” Cellular Microbiology, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1935–1946, 2008.
- P. Horrocks, K. Dechering, and M. Lanzer, “Control of gene expression in Plasmodium falciparum,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 171–181, 1998.
- K. G. Le Roch, J. R. Johnson, L. Florens et al., “Global analysis of transcript and protein levels across the Plasmodium falciparum life cycle,” Genome Research, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2308–2318, 2004.
- B. J. Foth, N. Zhang, S. Mok, P. R. Preiser, and Z. Bozdech, “Quantitative protein expression profiling reveals extensive post-transcriptional regulation and post-translational modifications in schizont-stage malaria parasites,” Genome Biology, vol. 9, no. 12, article R177, 2008.
- S. Agarwal, S. Kern, J. Halbert et al., “Two nucleus-localized CDK-like kinases with crucial roles for malaria parasite erythrocytic replication are involved in phosphorylation of splicing factor,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1295–1310, 2011.
- J. L. Shock, K. F. Fischer, and J. L. deRisi, “Whole-genome analysis of mRNA decay in Plasmodium falciparum reveals a global lengthening of mRNA half-life during the intra-erythrocytic development cycle,” Genome Biology, vol. 8, no. 7, article no. R134, 2007.
- E. Bischoff and C. Vaquero, “In silico and biological survey of transcription-associated proteins implicated in the transcriptional machinery during the erythrocytic development of Plasmodium falciparum,” BMC Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, article 34, 2010.
- J. S. Lipsick, “One billion years of myb,” Oncogene, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 223–235, 1996.
- C. Kanei-Ishii, T. Nomura, K. Ogata et al., “Structure and function of the proteins encoded by the myb gene family,” Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 211, pp. 88–98, 1996.
- C. Boschet, M. Gissot, S. Briquet, Z. Hamid, C. Claudel-Renard, and C. Vaquero, “Characterization of PfMyb1 transcription factor during erythrocytic development of 3D7 and F12 Plasmodium falciparum clones,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 159–163, 2004.
- C. Doerig, C. Doerig, P. Horrocks et al., “Pfrck-1, a developmentally regulated cdc2-related protein kinase of Plasmodium falciparum,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 70, no. 1-2, pp. 167–174, 1995.
- C. M. Doerig, D. Parzy, G. Langsley, P. Horrocks, R. Carter, and C. D. Doerig, “A MAP kinase homologue from the human malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum,” Gene, vol. 177, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 1996.
- M. Gissot, S. Briquet, P. Refour, C. Boschet, and C. Vaquero, “PfMyb1, a Plasmodium falciparum transcription factor, is required for intra-erythrocytic growth and controls key genes for cell cycle regulation,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 346, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 2005.
- M. Štros, D. Launholt, and K. D. Grasser, “The HMG-box: a versatile protein domain occurring in a wide variety of DNA-binding proteins,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 64, no. 19-20, pp. 2590–2606, 2007.
- A. Agresti and M. E. Bianchi, “HMGB proteins and gene expression,” Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 170–178, 2003.
- J. F. J. Kun and R. F. Anders, “A Plasmodium falciparum gene encoding a high mobility group protein box,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 249–253, 1995.
- S. Briquet, C. Boschet, M. Gissot et al., “High-mobility-group box nuclear factors of Plasmodium falciparum,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 672–682, 2006.
- K. Kumar, A. Singal, M. M. A. Rizvi, and V. S. Chauhan, “High mobility group box (HMGB) proteins of Plasmodium falciparum: DNA binding proteins with pro-inflammatory activity,” Parasitology International, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 150–157, 2008.
- M. Gissot, L. M. Ting, T. M. Daly, L. W. Bergman, P. Sinnis, and K. Kim, “High mobility group protein HMGB2 is a critical regulator of Plasmodium oocyst development,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 25, pp. 17030–17038, 2008.
- D. Eckert, S. Buhl, S. Weber, R. Jäger, and H. Schorle, “The AP-2 family of transcription factors,” Genome Biology, vol. 6, no. 13, article 246, 2005.
- H. J. Painter, T. L. Campbell, and M. Llinás, “The Apicomplexan AP2 family: integral factors regulating Plasmodium development,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 176, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- S. Balaji, M. Madan Babu, L. M. Iyer, and L. Aravind, “Discovery of the principal specific transcription factors of Apicomplexa and their implication for the evolution of the AP2-integrase DNA binding domains,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 13, pp. 3994–4006, 2005.
- E. K. De Silva, A. R. Gehrke, K. Olszewski et al., “Specific DNA-binding by Apicomplexan AP2 transcription factors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 24, pp. 8393–8398, 2008.
- Z. Bozdech, M. Llinás, B. L. Pulliam, E. D. Wong, J. Zhu, and J. L. DeRisi, “The transcriptome of the intraerythrocytic developmental cycle of Plasmodium falciparum,” PLoS Biology, vol. 1, no. 1, article E5, 2003.
- D. J. LaCount, M. Vignali, R. Chettier et al., “A protein interaction network of the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7064, pp. 103–107, 2005.
- S. E. Lindner, E. K. De Silva, J. L. Keck, and M. Llinás, “Structural determinants of DNA binding by a P. falciparum ApiAP2 transcriptional regulator,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 395, no. 3, pp. 558–567, 2010.
- T. L. Campbell, E. K. de Silva, K. L. Olszewski, O. Elemento, and M. Llinás, “Identification and genome-wide prediction of DNA binding specificities for the ApiAP2 family of regulators from the malaria parasite,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e1001165, 2010.
- M. M. Abhyankar, A. E. Hochreiter, J. Hershey et al., “Characterization of an Entamoeba histolytica high-mobility-group box protein induced during intestinal infection,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 1565–1572, 2008.
- C. Gomez, M. E. Ramirez, M. Calixto-Galvez, O. Medel, and M. A. Rodríguez, “Regulation of gene expression in protozoa parasites,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 726045, 2010.