- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 485173, 8 pages
Real-Time Monitoring of Neural Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells by Electric Cell-Substrate Impedance Sensing
1Department of Biological Science, Gachon University of Medicine and Science, Incheon 406-799, Republic of Korea
2Department of Biomedical Engineering, Gachon University of Medicine and Science, Incheon 406-799, Republic of Korea
3Department of Life Science, Dongguk University-Seoul, Seoul 100-715, Republic of Korea
Received 21 December 2010; Revised 23 February 2011; Accepted 2 April 2011
Academic Editor: Andre Van Wijnen
Copyright © 2011 Hyo Eun Park et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Hentze, R. Graichen, and A. Colman, “Cell therapy and the safety of embryonic stem cell-derived grafts,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2007.
- I. Giaever and C. R. Keese, “Micromotion of mammalian cells measured electrically,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 17, pp. 7896–7900, 1991.
- I. Giaever and C. R. Keese, “A morphological biosensor for mammalian cells,” Nature, vol. 366, no. 6455, pp. 591–592, 1993.
- J. H. T. Luong, M. Habibi-Rezaei, J. Meghrous, C. Xiao, K. B. Male, and A. Kamen, “Monitoring motility, spreading, and mortality of adherent insect cells using an impedance sensor,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1844–1848, 2001.
- S. Cho and H. Thielecke, “Electrical characterization of human mesenchymal stem cell growth on microelectrode,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 85, no. 5-6, pp. 1272–1274, 2008.
- S. Arndt, J. Seebach, K. Psathaki, H. J. Galla, and J. Wegener, “Bioelectrical impedance assay to monitor changes in cell shape during apoptosis,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 583–594, 2004.
- C. Xiao, B. Lachance, G. Sunahara, and J. H. T. Luong, “Assessment of cytotoxicity using electric cell-substrate impedance sensing: concentration and time response function approach,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 22, pp. 5748–5753, 2002.
- S. Cho, S. Becker, H. von Briesen, and H. Thielecke, “Impedance monitoring of herpes simplex virus-induced cytopathic effect in Vero cells,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 978–982, 2007.
- P. Linderholm, T. Braschler, J. Vannod, Y. Barrandon, M. Brouard, and P. Renaud, “Two-dimensional impedance imaging of cell migration and epithelial stratification,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1155–1162, 2006.
- S. Cho, E. Gorjup, and H. Thielecke, “Chip-based time-continuous monitoring of toxic effects on stem cell differentiation,” Annals of Anatomy, vol. 191, no. 1, pp. 145–152, 2009.
- C. Hildebrandt, H. Büth, S. Cho, . Impidjati, and H. Thielecke, “Detection of the osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells in 2D and 3D cultures by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 83–90, 2010.
- K. E. Mitchell, M. L. Weiss, B. M. Mitchell et al., “Matrix cells from Wharton's jelly form neurons and glia,” Stem Cells, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 2003.
- T. R. Brazelton, F. M. V. Rossi, G. I. Keshet, and H. M. Blau, “From marrow to brain: expression of neuronal phenotypes in adult mice,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1775–1779, 2000.
- K. Nakano, M. Migita, H. Mochizuki, and T. Shimada, “Differentiation of transplanted bone marrow cells in the adult mouse brain,” Transplantation, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 1735–1740, 2001.
- J. Sanchez-Ramos, S. Song, F. Cardozo-Pelaez et al., “Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitro,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 247–256, 2000.
- J. Kohyama, H. Abe, T. Shimazaki et al., “Brain from bone: efficient “meta-differentiation” of marrow stroma-derived mature osteoblasts to neurons with Noggin or a demethylating agent,” Differentiation, vol. 68, no. 4-5, pp. 235–244, 2001.
- A. R. Alexanian, D. J. Maiman, S. N. Kurpad, and T. A. Gennarelli, “In vitro and in vivo characterization of neurally modified mesenchymal stem cells induced by epigenetic modifiers and neural stem cell environment,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1123–1130, 2008.
- M. Andreeff, D. W. Goodrich, and A. B. Pardee, “Cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis,” in Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine, Section 1 Cancer Biology, chapter 2, pp. 17–32, BC Decker, 5th edition, 2000.
- K. A. Trzaska, E. V. Kuzhikandathil, and P. Rameshwar, “Specification of a dopaminergic phenotype from adult human mesenchymal stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2797–2808, 2007.