- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 489720, 9 pages
Phasic and Tonic Smooth Muscle Function of the Partially Obstructed Guinea Pig Intestine
1Mech-Sense, Aalborg Hospital, 9000 Aalborg, Denmark
2Institute of Clinical Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
3Sino-Danish Center for Education and Research, Aarhus University, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Received 28 June 2011; Accepted 29 August 2011
Academic Editor: Henk Granzier
Copyright © 2011 Jingbo Zhao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Hernanz-Schulman, “Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis,” Radiology, vol. 227, no. 2, pp. 319–331, 2003.
- M. Miyamoto, K. Egami, S. Maeda et al., “Hirschsprung's disease in adults: report of a case and review of the literature,” Journal of Nippon Medical School, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 113–120, 2005.
- W. Park and M. F. Vaezi, “Etiology and pathogenesis of achalasia: the current understanding,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1404–1414, 2005.
- J. Cheng, N. Vemula, and S. Gendler, “Small bowel obstruction caused by intramural hemorrhage secondary to anti-coagulant therapy,” Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 342–344, 2008.
- F. Froehlich, P. Juillerat, C. Mottet et al., “Obstructive fibrostenotic Crohn's disease,” Digestion, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 29–30, 2005.
- T. K. Hsieh, A. C. Chen, S. F. Wu, and W. Chen, “Postoperative intussusception in children with enterostomy,” Acta Paediatrica Taiwanica, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 166–169, 2005.
- R. M. Zollinger Jr, W. C. Sternfeld, and H. Schreiber, “Primary neoplasms of the small intestine,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 151, no. 6, pp. 654–658, 1986.
- S. Bertoni and G. Gabella, “Hypertrophy of mucosa and serosa in the obstructed intestine of rats,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 199, no. 6, pp. 725–734, 2001.
- G. Gabella, “Hypertrophy of visceral smooth muscle,” Anatomy and Embryology, vol. 182, no. 5, pp. 409–424, 1990.
- K. Schulze-Delrieu, B. Brown, B. Herman et al., “Preservation of peristaltic reflex in hypertrophied ileum of guinea pig,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 269, no. 1, pp. G49–G59, 1995.
- J. H. Storkholm, J. Zhao, G. E. Villadsen, H. Hager, S. L. Jensen, and H. Gregersen, “Biomechanical remodeling of the chronically obstructed guinea pig small intestine,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 336–346, 2007.
- J. H. Storkholm, J. Zhao, G. E. Villadsen, and H. Gregersen, “Spontaneous and bolus-induced motility in the chronically obstructed guinea-pig small intestine in vitro,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 413–420, 2008.
- B. V. Stromberg and L. Klein, “Collagen dynamics of partial small bowel obstruction,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 257–261, 1984.
- J. Zhao, D. Liao, J. Yang, and H. Gregersen, “Biomechanical remodelling of obstructed guinea pig jejunum,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1322–1329, 2010.
- S. Bertoni, G. Gabella, P. Ghizzardi et al., “Motor responses of rat hypertrophic intestine following chronic obstruction,” Neurogastroenterology and Motility, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 365–374, 2004.
- J. Chen, H. Chen, K. M. Sanders, and B. A. Perrino, “Regulation of SRF/CArG-dependent gene transcription during chronic partial obstruction of murine small intestine,” Neurogastroenterology and Motility, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 829–842, 2008.
- S. Geuna, S. Cardillo, and M. G. Giacobini-Robecchi, “Smooth muscle cell hypertrophy and hyperplasia in the partially obstructed gut of the rat: a quantitative evaluation,” Acta Anatomica, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 69–74, 1998.
- P. A. Longhurst, J. S. Kang, A. J. Wein, and R. M. Levin, “Comparative length-tension relationships of urinary bladder strips from hamsters, rats, guinea-pigs, rabbits and cats,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 221–225, 1990.
- A. M. Drewes, K. P. Schipper, G. Dimcevski et al., “Multi-modal induction and assessment of allodynia and hyperalgesia in the human oesophagus,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 539–549, 2003.
- C. Gao, L. Arendt-Nielsen, W. Liu, P. Petersen, A. M. Drewes, and H. Gregersen, “Sensory and biomechanical responses to ramp-controlled distension of the human duodenum,” American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 284, no. 3, pp. G461–G471, 2003.
- H. Gregersen, O. H. Gilja, T. Hausken et al., “Mechanical properties in the human gastric antrum using B-mode ultrasonography and antral distension,” American Journal of Physiology—Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. G368–G375, 2002.
- J. Zhao, D. Liao, and H. Gregersen, “Phasic and tonic stress-strain data obtained in intact intestinal segment in vitro,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 3145–3151, 2008.
- Y. C. Fung, Biomechanics: Motion, Flow, Stress, and Growth, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- H. Gregersen, G. S. Kassab, and Y. C. Fung, “The zero-stress state of the gastrointestinal tract: biomechanical and functional implications,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 2271–2281, 2000.
- H. Gregersen, Biomechanics of the Gastrointestinal Tract. New Perspectives in Motility Research and Diagnostics, Springer-Verlag, London, UK, 2002.
- J. Pedersen, A. M. Drewes, and H. Gregersen, “New analysis for the study of the muscle function in the human oesophagus,” Neurogastroenterology and Motility, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 767–772, 2005.
- G. Gabella, “Hypertrophy of intestinal smooth muscle,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 199–214, 1975.
- J. Pedersen, C. Gao, H. Egekvist et al., “Pain and biomechanical responses to distention of the duodenum in patients with systemic sclerosis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 1230–1239, 2003.
- S. Bertoni, V. Ballabeni, L. Flammini, T. Gobbetti, M. Impicciatore, and E. Barocelli, “Intestinal chronic obstruction affects motor responsiveness of rat hypertrophic longitudinal and circular muscles,” Neurogastroenterology and Motility, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1234–1242, 2008.
- G. Gabella, “Hypertrophic smooth muscle. II. Sarcoplasmic reticulum, caveolae and mitochondria,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 79–92, 1979.
- G. Gabella, “Hypertrophic smooth muscle. III. Increase in number and size of gap junctions,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 263–276, 1979.
- G. Gabella, “Hypertrophic smooth muscle. IV. Myofilaments, intermediate filaments and some mechanical properties,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 277–288, 1979.
- D. P. McDaniel, G. A. Shaw, J. T. Elliott et al., “The stiffness of collagen fibrils influences vascular smooth muscle cell phenotype,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1759–1769, 2007.