- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 504959, 9 pages
The Hamster Model for Identification of Specific Antigens of Taenia solium Tapeworms
Departamento de Microbiología y Parasitología, Facultad de Medicina,
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Edificio A, 2do piso, Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 México, DF, Mexico
Received 14 July 2011; Accepted 21 September 2011
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2011 Alicia Ochoa-Sánchez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Schantz, M. Cruz, E. Sarti, and Z. Pawlowski, “Potential eradicability of taeniasis and cysticercosis,” Bulletin of the Pan American Health Organization, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 397–403, 1993.
- V. C. W. Tsang and M. Wilson, “Taenia solium cysticercosis: an under-recognized but serious public health problem,” Parasitology Today, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 124–126, 1995.
- E. Sciutto, G. Fragoso, A. Fleury et al., “Taenia solium disease in humans and pigs: an ancient parasitosis disease rooted in developing countries and emerging as a major health problem of global dimensions,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 2, no. 15, pp. 1875–1890, 2000.
- A. Carpio, “Neurocysticercosis: an update,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 751–762, 2002.
- A. Fleury, J. M. García, P. V. Aguerrebere et al., “Neurocysticercosis, a persisting health problem in Mexico,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 4, no. 8, article e805, 2010.
- S. Díaz, R. Candil, M. Uribe, and K. Willms, “Serology as an indicator of Taenia solium tapeworm infections in a rural community in Mexico,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 563–566, 1990.
- M. Cruz, A. Davis, H. Dixon, Z. S. Pawlowski, and J. Proano, “Operational studies on the control of Taenia solium taeniasis/cysticercosis in Ecuador,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 401–407, 1989.
- J. C. Allan, M. Velasquez-Tohom, J. Garcia-Noval et al., “Epidemiology of intestinal taeniasis in four, rural, Guatemalan communities,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 157–165, 1996.
- J. J. García-Noval, A. L. Sanchez, and J. C. Allan, “Taenia solium: taeniasis and cysticercosis in central America,” in Taenia solium Cysticercosis: From Basic to Clinical Science, G. Singh and S. Prabhakar, Eds., pp. 91–100, CABI Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- J. Garcia-Noval, J. C. Allan, C. Fletes et al., “Epidemiology of Taenia solium taeniasis and cysticercosis in two rural Guatemalan communities,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 282–289, 1996.
- P. M. Schantz and E. Sarti-Gutierrez, “Diagnostic methods and epidemiologic surveillance of Taenia solium infection,” Acta Leidensia, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 153–163, 1989.
- E. Sarti, P. M. Schantz, G. Avila, J. Ambrosio, R. Medina-Santillán, and A. Flisser, “Mass treatment against human taeniasis for the control of cysticercosis: a population-based intervention study,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 85–89, 2000.
- A. Nkouawa, Y. Sako, T. Li et al., “Evaluation of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification method using fecal specimens for differential detection of Taenia species from humans,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 3350–3352, 2010.
- D. D. Heath, S. B. Lawrence, A. Glennie, and H. Twaalfhoven, “The use of excretory and secretory antigens of the scolex of Taenia ovis for the serodiagnosis of infection in dogs,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 192–199, 1985.
- A. Kinder, S. D. Carter, J. Allan, S. Marshall-Clarke, and P. S. Craig, “Salivary and serum antibodies in experimental canine taeniasis,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 41, no. 3-4, pp. 321–327, 1992.
- M. Z. Levine, M. M. Lewis, S. Rodriques et al., “Development of an enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot (EITB) assay using two baculovirus expressed recombinant antigens for diagnosis of Taenia solium taeniasis,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 409–417, 2007.
- P. P. Wilkins, J. C. Allan, M. Verastegui et al., “Development of a serologic assay to detect Taenia solium taeniasis,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 1999.
- P. M. Schantz, A. C. Moore, J. L. Munoz et al., “Neurocysticercosis in an Orthodox Jewish community in New York City,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 327, no. 10, pp. 692–695, 1992.
- L. Cañedo, J. P. Laclette, and E. Morales, “Evagination of the metacestode of T. solium,” in Cysticercosis; Present State of Knowledge and Perspectives, A. Flisser, K. Willms, J. P. Laclette, C. Larralde, C. Ridaura, and F. Beltrán, Eds., p. 36, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- A. Verster, “The golden hamster as a definitive host of Taenia solium and Taenia saginata,” Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 1974.
- J. L. Molinari, E. García-Mendoza, Y. De la Garza, J. A. Ramírez, J. Sotelo, and P. Tato, “Discrimination between active and inactive neurocysticercosis by metacestode excretory/secretory antigens of Taenia solium in an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 777–781, 2002.
- A. Landa, J. P. Laclette, A. Nicholson-Weller, and C. B. Shoemaker, “cDNA cloning and recombinant expression of collagen-binding and complement inhibitor activity of Taenia solium paramyosin (AgB),” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 343–348, 1993.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosenbrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- B. Espinoza, G. Ruiz-Palacios, A. Tovar, et al., “Characterization by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay of the humoral immune response in patients with neurocysticercosis and its application in immunodiagnosis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 536–541, 1986.
- G. González, P. Spinelli, C. Lorenzo et al., “Molecular characterization of P-29, a metacestode-specific component of Echinococcus granulosus which is immunologically related to, but distinct from, antigen 5,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 177–184, 2000.
- N. Deckers and P. Dorny, “Immunodiagnosis of Taenia solium taeniosis/cysticercosis,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 137–144, 2010.
- V. C. W. Tsang, J. A. Brand, and A. E. Boyer, “An enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot assay and glycoprotein antigens for diagnosing human cysticercosis (Taenia solium),” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 50–59, 1989.
- J. V. Proaño-Narvaez, A. Meza-Lucas, O. Mata-Ruiz, R. C. García-Jerónimo, and D. Correa, “Laboratory diagnosis of human neurocysticercosis: double-blind comparison of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and electroimmunotransfer blot assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 2115–2118, 2002.
- J. C. Allan, P. P. Wilkins, V. C. W. Tsang, and P. S. Craig, “Immunodiagnostic tools for taeniasis,” Acta Tropica, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 87–93, 2003.
- P. Maravilla, G. Avila, V. Cabrera, L. Aguilar, and A. Flisser, “Comparative development of Taenia solium in experimental models,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 882–886, 1998.
- G. Avila, M. Benitez, L. Aguilar-Vega, and A. Flisser, “Kinetics of Taenia solium antibodies and antigens in experimental taeniosis,” Parasitology Research, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 284–289, 2003.
- T. F. Ng and R. C. Ko, “Serodiagnosis of cysticercosis specificity of different antigens and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 421–422, 1994.
- J. A. Lopez, E. Garcia, I. M. Cortes, J. Sotelo, P. Tato, and J. L. Molinari, “Neurocysticercosis: relationship between the developmental stage of metacestode present and the titre of specific IgG in the cerebrospinal fluid,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 569–579, 2004.
- A. Olivo, A. Plancarte, and A. Flisser, “Presence of antigen B from Taenia solium cysticercus in other Platyhelminthes,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 543–545, 1988.
- A. Monroy-Ostria, T. J. Monroy-Ostria, G. J. Gómez, and M. O. Hernández, “Some studies on the experimental infection of golden hamsters with Taenia solium,” Revista Latinoamericana de Microbiologia, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 91–98, 1993.
- G. C. Cook, “Anthelminthic agents: some recent developments and their clinical application,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 67, no. 783, pp. 16–22, 1991.
- M. Gemmell, A. Matyas, Z. Pawlowski, et al., Guidelines for Surveillance Prevention and Control of Taeniosis/Cysticercosis, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, WHOVPH/83.49, 1983.