- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 510827, 14 pages
Loss of the NHE2 Na+/H+ Exchanger in Mice Results in Dilation of Folliculo-Stellate Cell Canaliculi
1Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati, 3223 Eden Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
2Department of Biological Sciences, Northern Kentucky University, Nunn Drive, Highland Heights, KY 41099, USA
3Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267-0524, USA
Received 16 September 2010; Accepted 23 November 2010
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2011 Marian L. Miller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Herbert and A. Y. Silverman, “Topographical distribution of the gonadotrophs, mammotrophs, somatotrophs and thyrotrophs in the pituitary gland of the baboon (Papio cynocephalus),” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 230, no. 1, pp. 233–238, 1983.
- W. Allaerts, P. Carmeliet, and C. Denef, “New perspectives in the function of pituitary folliculo-stellate cells,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 73–81, 1990.
- K. Inoue, E. F. Couch, K. Takano, and S. Ogawa, “The structure and function of folliculo-stellate cells in the anterior pituitary gland,” Archives of Histology and Cytology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 205–218, 1999.
- N. Ferrara, D. K. Fujii, and P. C. Goldsmith, “Transport epithelial characteristics of cultured bovine pituitary follicular cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 252, no. 3, part 1, pp. E304–E312, 1987.
- N. Ferrara and D. Gospodarowicz, “Regulation of ion transport in hypophysial pars intermedia follicular cell monolayers,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 1376–1382, 1988.
- S. Kuwahara, S. Maeda, Y. Ardiles et al., “Immunohistochemical localization of aquaporin-4 in the rat pituitary gland,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 1307–1312, 2010.
- S. Devnath and K. Inoue, “An insight to pituitary folliculo-stellate cells,” Journal of Neuroendocrinology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 687–691, 2008.
- N. Ferrara, L. Schweigerer, G. Neufeld, R. Mitchell, and D. Gospodarowicz, “Pituitary follicular cells produce basic fibroblast growth factor,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 84, no. 16, pp. 5773–5777, 1987.
- T. Fauquier, N. C. Guérineau, R. A. McKinney, K. Bauer, and P. Mollard, “Folliculo-stellate cell network: a route for long-distance communication in the anterior pituitary,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 15, pp. 8891–8896, 2001.
- S. S. Stojilkovic, “A novel view of the function of pituitary folliculo-stellate cell network,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 378–380, 2001.
- Z. Wang, J. Orlowski, and G. E. Shull, “Primary structure and functional expression of a novel gastrointestinal isoform of the rat Na/H exchanger,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 16, pp. 11925–11928, 1993.
- P. J. Schultheis, L. L. Clarke, P. Meneton et al., “Targeted disruption of the murine Na/H exchanger isoform 2 gene causes reduced viability of gastric parietal cells and loss of net acid secretion,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1243–1253, 1998.
- M. L. Miller, A. Andringa, Y. Zavros, E. M. Bradford, and G. E. Shull, “Volume density, distribution, and ultrastructure of secretory and basolateral membranes and mitochondria predict parietal cell secretory (Dys)function,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 394198, 13 pages, 2010.
- M. A. Bailey, G. Giebisch, T. Abbiati et al., “NHE2-mediated bicarbonate reabsorption in the distal tubule of NHE3 null mice,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 561, no. 3, pp. 765–775, 2004.
- Y. Guan, J. Dong, L. Tackett, J. W. Meyer, G. E. Shull, and M. H. Montrose, “NHE2 is the main apical NHE in mouse colonic crypts but an alternative Na+-dependent acid extrusion mechanism is upregulated in NHE2-null mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 291, no. 4, pp. G689–G699, 2006.
- M. P. Rogan, L. R. Reznikov, A. A. Pezzulo, et al., “Pigs and humans with cystic fibrosis have reduced insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1) levels at birth,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 47, pp. 20571–20575, 2010.
- C. Ledoussal, J. N. Lorenz, M. L. Nieman, M. Soleimani, P. J. Schultheis, and G. E. Shull, “Renal salt wasting in mice lacking NHE3 exchanger but not in mice lacking NHE2,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 4, pp. F718–F727, 2001.
- D. M. Simmons, J. L. Arriza, and L. W. Swanson, “A complete protocol for in situ hybridization of messenger RNAs in brain and other tissues with radiolabeled single-stranded RNA probes,” Journal of Histotechnology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 169–181, 1989.
- K. Park, R. L. Evans, G. E. Watson et al., “Defective fluid secretion and NaCl absorption in the parotid glands of exchanger-deficient mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 29, pp. 27042–27050, 2001.
- T. Wang, C. L. Yang, T. Abbiati, G. E. Shull, G. Giebisch, and P. S. Aronson, “Essential role of NHE3 in facilitating formate-dependent NaCL absorption in the proximal tubule,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 2, pp. F288–F292, 2001.
- J. E. Melvin, K. Park, L. Richardson, P. J. Schultheis, and G. E. Shull, “Mouse down-regulated in adenoma (DRA) is an intestinal exchanger and is up-regulated in colon of mice lacking the NHE3 exchanger,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 32, pp. 22855–22861, 1999.
- N. M. Walker, J. E. Simpson, P. F. Yen et al., “Down-regulated in adenoma exchanger couples with Na/H exchanger 3 for NaCl absorption in murine small intestine,” Gastroenterology, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 1645–1653, 2008.
- F. H. Yu, G. E. Shull, and J. Orlowski, “Functional properties of the rat Na/H exchanger NHE-2 isoform expressed in Na/H exchanger-deficient Chinese hamster ovary cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 34, pp. 25536–25541, 1993.
- S. Chu and M. H. Montrose, “Non-ionic diffusion and carrier-mediated transport drive extracellullar pH regulation of mouse colonic crypts,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 494, no. 3, pp. 783–793, 1996.
- A. J. De Bold, M. L. De Bold, and J. Kraicer, “Structural relationships between parenchymal and stromal elements in the pars intermedia of the rat adenohypophysis as demonstrated by extracellular space markers,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 207, no. 3, pp. 347–359, 1980.
- L. R. Gawenis, J. M. Greeb, V. Prasad et al., “Impaired gastric acid secretion in mice with a targeted disruption of the NHE4 exchanger,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 13, pp. 12781–12789, 2005.
- S. Petrovic, Z. Wang, L. Ma et al., “Colocalization of the apical exchanger PAT1 and gastric H-K-ATPase in stomach parietal cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 5, pp. G1207–G1216, 2002.
- R. Chambrey, D. G. Warnock, R. A. Podevin et al., “Immunolocalization of the exchanger isoform NHE2 in rat kidney,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 275, no. 3, part 2, pp. F379–F386, 1998.
- H. S. Min, S. J. Lee, S. K. Kim, and S. H. Park, “Pituitary adenoma with rich folliculo-stellate cells and mucin-producing epithelia arising in a 2-year-old girl,” Pathology International, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 600–605, 2007.
- Y. Kameda, “Occurrence of colloid-containing follicles in the pars distalis of pituitary glands from aging guinea pigs,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 263, no. 1, pp. 115–124, 1991.
- E. Horvath, C. I. Coire, K. Kovacs, and H. S. Smyth, “Folliculo-stellate cells of the human pituitary as adult stem cells: examples of their neoplastic potential,” Ultrastructural Pathology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 133–139, 2010.
- K. Horiguchi, M. Kikuchi, K. Kusumoto et al., “Living-cell imaging of transgenic rat anterior pituitary cells in primary culture reveals novel characteristics of folliculo-stellate cells,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2010.
- M. Kage, K. Kosai, K. Shimamatsu et al., “Ultrastructural studies of the bile duct in alcoholic liver disease,” Kurume Medical Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 219–229, 1992.
- S. S. Sohal, D. Reid, A. Soltani et al., “Reticular basement membrane fragmentation and potential epithelial mesenchymal transition is exaggerated in the airways of smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Respirology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 930–938, 2010.
- L. L. Richardson, H. K. Kleinman, and M. Dym, “Altered basement membrane synthesis in the testis after tissue injury,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 145–155, 1998.
- T. W. C. Tervaert, A. L. Mooyaart, K. Amann et al., “Pathologic classification of diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 556–563, 2010.
- D. Garrod and M. Chidgey, “Desmosome structure, composition and function,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 3, pp. 572–587, 2008.
- J. Rassat, H. Robenek, and H. Themann, “Structural relationship between desmosomes and mitochondria in human livers exhibiting a wide range of diseases,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 207–211, 1981.
- L. H. Bernstein and S. H. Wollman, “Association of mitochondria with desmosomes in the rat thyroid gland,” Journal of Ultrastructure Research, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 1975.
- T. F. Freddo, “Mitochondria attached to desmosomes in the ciliary epithelia of human, monkey, and rabbit eyes,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 251, no. 3, pp. 671–675, 1988.
- M. L. Miller, A. Andringa, J. M. Manson, et al., “An ultrastructural survey of desmosomal-mitochondrial complexes in the liver of several species of laboratory mammal,” Ohio Journal of Science, vol. 85, pp. 74–84, 1985.
- I. Barba, M. E. Cabañas, and C. Arús, “The relationship between nuclear magnetic resonance-visible lipids, lipid droplets, and cell proliferation in cultured C6 cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1861–1868, 1999.
- I. Barba, L. Chavarria, M. Ruiz-Meana, M. Mirabet, E. Agulló, and D. Garcia-Dorado, “Effect of intracellular lipid droplets on cytosolic and cell death during ischaemia-reperfusion injury in cardiomyocytes,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 587, no. 6, pp. 1331–1341, 2009.
- P. L. Brasaemle, “A metabolic push to proliferate,” Science, vol. 313, no. 5793, pp. 1581–1582, 2006.
- S. Uno, T. P. Dalton, P. R. Sinclair et al., “Cyp1a1(-/-) male mice: protection against high-dose TCDD-induced lethality and wasting syndrome, and resistance to intrahepatocyte lipid accumulation and uroporphyria,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 196, no. 3, pp. 410–421, 2004.
- N. Chauvet, T. El-Yandouzi, M. N. Mathieu et al., “Characterization of adherens junction protein expression and localization in pituitary cell networks,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 202, no. 3, pp. 375–387, 2009.
- T. Soji, Y. Mabuchi, C. Kurono, and D. C. Herbert, “Folliculo-stellate cells and intercellular communication within the rat anterior pituitary gland,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 138–149, 1997.
- M. Acosta, V. Filippa, and F. Mohamed, “Folliculo-stellate cells in pituitary pars distalis of male viscacha: immunohistochemical, morphometric and ultrastructural study,” European Journal of Histochemistry, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2010.