- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 634253, 9 pages
Electrophoretic Mobility of Cardiac Myosin Heavy Chain Isoforms Revisited: Application of MALDI TOF/TOF Analysis
1Department of Physiology, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, 12843 Prague, Czech Republic
2Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, 12843 Prague, Czech Republic
3Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, 12843 Prague, Czech Republic
4Laboratory of Mass Spectrometry, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, 12843 Prague, Czech Republic
5Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v.v.i., 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Received 24 June 2011; Accepted 9 September 2011
Academic Editor: Henk Granzier
Copyright © 2011 Petra Arnostova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Mahdavi, M. Periasamy, and B. Nadal-Ginard, “Molecular characterization of two myosin heavy chain genes expressed in the adult heart,” Nature, vol. 297, no. 5868, pp. 659–664, 1982.
- E. M. McNally, R. Kraft, M. Bravo-Zehnder, D. A. Taylor, and L. A. Leinwand, “Full-length rat alpha and beta cardiac myosin heavy chain sequences. Comparisons suggest a molecular basis for functional differences,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 210, no. 3, pp. 665–671, 1989.
- B. Pope, J. F. Hoh, and A. Weeds, “The ATPase activities of rat cardiac myosin isoenzymes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 205–208, 1980.
- K. Schwartz, Y. Lecarpentier, and J. L. Martin, “Myosin isoenzymic distribution correlates with speed of myocardial contraction,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1071–1075, 1981.
- G. Ebrecht, H. Rupp, and R. Jacob, “Alterations of mechanical parameters in chemically skinned preparations of rat myocardium as a function of isoenzyme pattern of myosin,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 220–234, 1982.
- J. F. Y. Hoh, P. A. McGrath, and P. T. Hale, “Electrophoretic analysis of multiple forms of rat cardiac myosin: effects of hypophysectomy and thyroxine replacement,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1053–1076, 1978.
- A. M. Lompre, J. J. Mercadier, and C. Wisnewsky, “Species- and age-dependent changes in the relative amounts of cardiac myosin isoenzymes in mammals,” Developmental Biology, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 286–290, 1981.
- W. A. Clark, R. A. Chizzonite, and A. W. Everett, “Species correlations between cardiac isomyosins. A comparison of electrophoretic and immunological properties,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 257, no. 10, pp. 5449–5454, 1982.
- B. Swynghedauw, “Developmental and functional adaptation of contractile proteins in cardiac and skeletal muscles,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 710–771, 1986.
- S. Sugiura, N. Kobayakawa, H. Fujita et al., “Comparison of unitary displacements and forces between 2 cardiac myosin isoforms by the optical trap technique: molecular basis for cardiac adaptation,” Circulation Research, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1029–1034, 1998.
- P. Vanburen, D. E. Harris, N. R. Alpert, and D. M. Warshaw, “Cardiac V1 and V3 myosins differ in their hydrolytic and mechanical activities in vitro,” Circulation Research, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 439–444, 1995.
- M. P. Gupta, “Factors controlling cardiac myosin-isoform shift during hypertrophy and heart failure,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 388–403, 2007.
- A. d'Albis, C. Pantaloni, and J. J. Bechet, “An electrophoretic study of native myosin isozymes and of their subunit content,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 261–272, 1979.
- A. M. Lompre, K. Schwartz, and A. d'Albis, “Myosin isoenzyme redistribution in chronic heart overload,” Nature, vol. 282, no. 5734, pp. 105–107, 1979.
- J. J. Mercadier, A. M. Lompre, and C. Wisnewsky, “Myosin isoenzymic changes in several models of rat cardiac hypertrophy,” Circulation Research, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 525–532, 1981.
- H. Rupp and B. Maisch, “Separation of large mammalian ventricular myosin differing in ATPase activity,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 85, no. 3-4, pp. 326–331, 2007.
- K. A. Esser, M. O. Boluyt, and T. P. White, “Separation of cardiac myosin heavy chains by gradient SDS-PAGE,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 255, no. 3, pp. H659–H663, 1988.
- A. L. P. Caforio, M. Grazzini, J. M. Mann et al., “Identification of α- and β-cardiac myosin heavy chain isoforms as major autoantigens in dilated cardiomyopathy,” Circulation, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 1734–1742, 1992.
- N. K. Sweitzer and R. L. Moss, “Determinants of loaded shortening velocity in single cardiac myocytes permeabilized with α-hemolysin,” Circulation Research, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1150–1162, 1993.
- P. J. Reiser and W. O. Kline, “Electrophoretic separation and quantitation of cardiac myosin heavy chain isoforms in eight mammalian species,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 3, pp. H1048–H1053, 1998.
- A. Mansén, F. Yu, D. Forrest, L. Larsson, and B. Vennström, “TRs have common and isoform-specific functions in regulation of the cardiac myosin heavy chain genes,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 2106–2114, 2001.
- J. A. A. Sant'Ana Pereira, M. Greaser, and R. L. Moss, “Pulse electrophoresis of muscle myosin heavy chains in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gels,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. 229–236, 2001.
- S. Piao, F. Yu, M. J. Mihm et al., “A simplified method for identification of human cardiac myosin heavy-chain isoforms,” Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 27–30, 2003.
- C. M. Warren and M. L. Greaser, “Method for cardiac myosin heavy chain separation by sodium dodecyl sulfate gel electrophoresis,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 320, no. 1, pp. 149–151, 2003.
- S. Izumo, B. Nadal-Ginard, and V. Mahdavi, “All members of the MHC multigene family respond to thyroid hormone in a highly tissue-specific manner,” Science, vol. 231, no. 4738, pp. 597–600, 1986.
- A. M. Lompre, B. Nadal-Ginard, and V. Mahdavi, “Expression of the cardiac ventricular α- and β-myosin heavy chain genes is developmentally and hormonally regulated,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 259, no. 10, pp. 6437–6446, 1984.
- E. Morkin, I. L. Flink, and S. Goldman, “Biochemical and physiologic effects of thyroid hormone on cardiac performance,” Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 435–464, 1983.
- E. Morkin, “Control of cardiac myosin heavy chain gene expression,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 522–531, 2000.
- K. Ojamaa and I. Klein, “In vivo regulation of recombinant cardiac myosin heavy chain gene expression by thyroid hormone,” Endocrinology, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 1002–1006, 1993.
- A. K. Fletcher and A. P. Weetman, “Hypertension and hypothyroidism,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 79–82, 1998.
- L. W. Stevenson, “Beta-blockers for stable heart failure,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 18, pp. 1346–1347, 2002.
- S. Danzi, S. Klein, and I. Klein, “Differential regulation of the myosin heavy chain genes α and β in rat atria and ventricles: role of antisense RNA,” Thyroid, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 761–768, 2008.
- S. Danzi and I. Klein, “Thyroid hormone and the cardiovascular system,” Minerva Endocrinologica, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 139–150, 2004.
- G. J. Kahaly and W. H. Dillmann, “Thyroid hormone action in the heart,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 704–728, 2005.
- N. Tribulova, V. Knezl, A. Shainberg, S. Seki, and T. Soukup, “Thyroid hormones and cardiac arrhythmias,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 3-4, pp. 102–112, 2010.
- S. Miyata, W. Minobe, M. R. Bristow, and L. A. Leinwand, “Myosin heavy chain isoform expression in the failing and nonfailing human heart,” Circulation Research, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 386–390, 2000.
- P. J. Reiser, M. A. Portman, X. H. Ning, and C. S. Moravec, “Human cardiac myosin heavy chain isoforms in fetal and failing adult atria and ventricles,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 280, no. 4, pp. H1814–H1820, 2001.
- S. M. Helmke, C. Y. Yen, K. J. Cios et al., “Simultaneous quantification of human cardiac alpha- and beta-myosin heavy chain proteins by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 1683–1689, 2004.
- T. Soukup, G. Zachařová, V. Smerdu, and I. Jirmanová, “Body, heart, thyroid gland and skeletal muscle weight changes in rats with altered thyroid status,” Physiological Research, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 619–626, 2001.
- H. Rauchová, T. Mráček, P. Novák, M. Vokurková, and T. Soukup, “Glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase expression and oxygen consumption in liver mitochondria of female and male rats with chronic alteration of thyroid status,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 2011.
- O. Agbulut, Z. Li, V. Mouly, and G. S. Butler-Browne, “Analysis of skeletal and cardiac muscle from desmin knock-out and normal mice by high resolution separation of myosin heavy-chain isoforms,” Biology of the Cell, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 131–135, 1996.
- J. K. Choi, S. H. Yoon, H. Y. Hong, D. K. Choi, and G. S. Yoo, “A modified Coomassie blue staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gels with Bismark brown R,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 236, no. 1, pp. 82–84, 1996.
- H. Blum, H. Beier, and H. J. Gross, “Improved silver staining of plant proteins, RNA and DNA in polyacrylamide gels,” Electrophoresis, vol. 8, pp. 33–99, 1987.
- M. A. Rudnicki, G. Jackowski, L. Saggin, and M. W. McBurney, “Actin and myosin expression during development of cardiac muscle from cultured embryonal carcinoma cells,” Developmental Biology, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 348–358, 1990.
- H. Rupp, “Differential effect of physical exercise routines on ventricular myosin and peripheral catecholamine stores in normotensive and spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Circulation Research, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 370–377, 1989.
- J. Scheuer, A. Malhotra, and C. Hirsch, “Physiologic cardiac hypertrophy corrects contractile protein abnormalities associated with pathologic hypertrophy in rats,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1300–1305, 1982.
- B. Wang, J. Ouyang, and Z. Xia, “Effects of triiodo-thyronine on angiotensin-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy: reversal of increased β-myosin heavy chain gene expression,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 84, no. 8-9, pp. 935–941, 2006.
- Y. Yazaki and M. S. Raben, “Effect of the thyroid state on the enzymatic characteristics of cardiac myosin. A difference in behavior of rat and rabbit cardiac myosin,” Circulation Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 208–215, 1975.
- P. T. Thyrum, E. M. Kritcher, and R. J. Luchi, “Effect of l-thyroxine on the primary structure of cardiac myosin,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 335–336, 1970.
- B. R. Eisenberg, J. A. Edwards, and R. Zak, “Transmural distribution of isomyosin in rabbit ventricle during maturation examined by immunofluorescence and staining for calcium-activated adenosine triphosphatase,” Circulation Research, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 548–555, 1985.
- L. B. Bugaisky, P. G. Anderson, R. S. Hall, and S. P. Bishop, “Differences in myosin isoform expression in the subepicardial and subendocardial myocardium during cardiac hypertrophy in the rat,” Circulation Research, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1127–1132, 1990.
- H. J. Esber, F. F. Menninger, and A. E. Bogden, “Variation in serum hormone concentrations in different rat strains,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 1050–1053, 1974.
- P. Novák, G. Zacharová, and T. Soukup, “Individual, age and sex differences in fiber type composition of slow and fast muscles of adult lewis rats: comparison with other rat strains,” Physiological Research, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 783–801, 2010.
- P. J. Reiser, M. Wick, and C. I. Pretzman, “Electrophoretic variants of cardiac myosin heavy chain-α in Sprague Dawley rats,” Electrophoresis, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 389–395, 2004.