- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 679492, 9 pages
Chemiluminescent Nanomicelles for Imaging Hydrogen Peroxide and Self-Therapy in Photodynamic Therapy
1Laboratory of Mesoscopic Chemistry and Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
2National Laboratory of Solid State Microstructure and Department of Material Science and Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Received 20 January 2011; Revised 18 March 2011; Accepted 24 March 2011
Academic Editor: Zhen Cheng
Copyright © 2011 Rui Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Rutault, C. Alderman, B. M. Chain, et al., “Reactive oxygen species active human peripheral blood denditic cells,” Free Radialc Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1-2, pp. 232–238, 1999.
- S. Dominici, A. Visvikis, L. Pieri et al., “Redox modulation of NF-κB nuclear translocation and DNA binding in metastatic melanoma. The role of endogenous and γ-glutamyl transferase-dependent oxidative stress,” Tumori, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 426–433, 2003.
- S. G. Rhee, “H2O2, a necessary evil for cell signaling,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5782, pp. 1882–1883, 2006.
- M. Giorgio, M. Trinei, E. Migliaccio, and P. G. Pelicci, “Hydrogen peroxide: a metabolic by-product or a common mediator of ageing signals?” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 722A–728A, 2007.
- H. Ohshima, M. Tatemichi, and T. Sawa, “Chemical basis of inflammation-induced carcinogenesis,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 417, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 2003.
- E. W. Miller, A. E. Albers, A. Pralle, E. Y. Isacoff, and C. J. Chang, “Boronate-based fluorescent probes for imaging cellular hydrogen peroxide,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 47, pp. 16652–16659, 2005.
- M. C. Y. Chang, A. Pralle, E. Y. Isacoff, and C. J. Chang, “A selective, cell-permeable optical probe for hydrogen peroxide in living cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 47, pp. 15392–15393, 2004.
- A. E. Albers, V. S. Okreglak, and C. J. Chang, “A FRET-based approach to ratiometric fluorescence detection of hydrogen peroxide,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 30, pp. 9640–9641, 2006.
- R. W. Tsien and R. Y. Tsien, “Calcium channels, stores, and oscillations,” Annual Review of Cell Biology, vol. 6, pp. 715–760, 1990.
- M. M. Rauhut, L. J. Bollyky, B. G. Roberts et al., “Chemiluminescence from reactions of electronegatively substituted aryl oxalates with hydrogen peroxide and fluorescent compounds,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 89, no. 25, pp. 6515–6522, 1967.
- C. V. Stevani, S. M. Silva, and W. J. Baader, “Studies on the mechanism of the excitation step in peroxyoxalate chemiluminescence,” European Journal of Organic Chemistry, no. 24, pp. 4037–4046, 2000.
- S. M. Silva, K. Wagner, D. Weiss, R. Beckert, C. V. Stevani, and W. J. Baader, “Studies on the chemiexcitation step in peroxyoxalate chemiluminescence using steroid-substituted activators,” Luminescence, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 362–369, 2002.
- D. Lee, S. Khaja, J. C. Velasquez-Castano et al., “In vivo imaging of hydrogen peroxide with chemiluminescent nanoparticles,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 765–769, 2007.
- L. Liu and R. P. Mason, “Imaging β-galactosidase activity in human tumor xenografts and transgenic mice using a chemiluminescent substrate,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 8, Article ID e12024, 2010.
- S. Kim, K. Seong, O. Kim et al., “Polyoxalate nanoparticles as a biodegradable and biocompatible drug delivery vehicle,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 555–560, 2010.
- M. Dasari, D. Lee, V. R. Erigala, and N. Murthy, “Chemiluminescent PEG-PCL micelles for imaging hydrogen peroxide,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part A, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 561–566, 2009.
- R. B. Thompson and S. E. Shaw, “Peroxyoxalate chemiluminescence in microemulsions,” Langmuir, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 106–110, 1988.
- A. Kamyshny and S. Magdassi, “Chemiluminescence immunoassay in microemulsions,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 249–254, 1998.
- B. C. Wilson and M. S. Patterson, “The physics, biophysics and technology of photodynamic therapy,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. R61–R109, 2008.
- Y. N. Konan, R. Gurny, and E. Allémann, “State of the art in the delivery of photosensitizers for photodynamic therapy,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 89–106, 2002.
- L. O. Cinteza, T. Y. Ohulchanskyy, Y. Sahoo, E. J. Bergey, R. K. Pandey, and P. N. Prasad, “Diacyllipid micelle-based nanocarrier for magnetically guided delivery of drugs in photodynamic therapy,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 415–423, 2006.
- A. Roby, S. Erdogan, and V. P. Torchilin, “Solubilization of poorly soluble PDT agent, meso-tetraphenylporphin, in plain or immunotargeted PEG-PE micelles results in dramatically improved cancer cell killing in vitro,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 235–240, 2006.
- S. Kim, T. Y. Ohulchanskyy, H. E. Pudavar, R. K. Pandey, and P. N. Prasad, “Organically modified silica nanoparticles co-encapsulating photosensitizing drug and aggregation-enhanced two-photon absorbing fluorescent dye aggregates for two-photon photodynamic therapy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 129, no. 9, pp. 2669–2675, 2007.
- S. Kim, H. Huang, H. E. Pudavar, Y. Cui, and P. N. Prasad, “Intraparticle energy transfer and fluorescence photoconversion in nanoparticles: an optical highlighter nanoprobe for two-photon bioimaging,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 23, pp. 5650–5656, 2007.
- S. Zhuang, J. T. Demirs, and I. E. Kochevar, “p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase mediates bid cleavage, mitochondrial dysfunction, and caspase-3 activation during apoptosis induced by singlet oxygen but not by hydrogen peroxide,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 34, pp. 25939–25948, 2000.
- M. L. Forrest, C. Y. Won, A. W. Malick, and G. S. Kwon, “In vitro release of the mTOR inhibitor rapamycin from poly(ethylene glycol)-b-poly(ε-caprolactone) micelles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 370–377, 2006.
- H. M. Aliabadi, A. Mahmud, A. D. Sharifabadi, and A. Lavasanifar, “Micelles of methoxy poly(ethylene oxide)-b-poly(ε-caprolactone) as vehicles for the solubilization and controlled delivery of cyclosporine A,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 301–311, 2005.
- V. P. Torchilin, “PEG-based micelles as carriers of contrast agents for different imaging modalities,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 235–252, 2002.
- C.-K. Lim, Y.-D. Lee, J. Na et al., “Chemiluminescence-generating nanoreactor formulation for near-infrared imaging of hydrogen peroxide and glucose level in vivo,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 20, no. 16, pp. 2644–2648, 2010.
- J. M. Lin and M. Yamada, “Microheterogeneous systems of micelles and microemulsions as reaction media in chemiluminescent analysis,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 99–107, 2003.
- H. Maeda, J. Wu, T. Sawa, Y. Matsumura, and K. Hori, “Tumor vascular permeability and the EPR effect in macromolecular therapeutics: a review,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 271–284, 2000.