- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 780836, 10 pages
Diagnosis and Prognostication of Ductal Adenocarcinomas of the Pancreas Based on Genome-Wide DNA Methylation Profiling by Bacterial Artificial Chromosome Array-Based Methylated CpG Island Amplification
1Pathology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
2Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
3Cancer Genomics Project, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
4Proteome Bioinformatics Project, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
5Department of Molecular Cytogenetics, Medical Research Institute and School of Biomedical Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113-8510, Japan
6Cancer Genome Center, Chiba Cancer Center Research Institute, Chiba 260-8717, Japan
Received 22 July 2010; Accepted 12 November 2010
Academic Editor: Alain Filloux
Copyright © 2011 Masahiro Gotoh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Jones and S. B. Baylin, “The fundamental role of epigenetic events in cancer,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 415–428, 2002.
- S. B. Baylin and J. E. Ohm, “Epigenetic gene silencing in cancer—a mechanism for early oncogenic pathway addiction?” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 107–116, 2006.
- P. A. Jones and S. B. Baylin, “The epigenomics of cancer,” Cell, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 683–692, 2007.
- M. Ehrlich, “DNA hypomethylation in cancer cells,” Epigenomics, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 239–259, 2009.
- S. Sharma, T. K. Kelly, and P. A. Jones, “Epigenetics in cancer,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 27–36, 2010.
- Y. Kanai and S. Hirohashi, “Alterations of DNA methylation associated with abnormalities of DNA methyltransferases in human cancers during transition from a precancerous to a malignant state,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2434–2442, 2007.
- Y. Kanai, “Alterations of DNA methylation and clinicopathological diversity of human cancers,” Pathology International, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 544–558, 2008.
- Y. Kanai, “Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in precancerous conditions and cancers,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 36–45, 2010.
- D. F. Peng, Y. Kanai, M. Sawada et al., “DNA methylation of multiple tumor-related genes in association with overexpression of DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) during multistage carcinogenesis of the pancreas,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1160–1168, 2006.
- D. F. Peng, Y. Kanai, M. Sawada et al., “Increased DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) protein expression in precancerous conditions and ductal carcinomas of the pancreas,” Cancer Science, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 403–408, 2005.
- N. Howes and J. P. Neoptolemos, “Risk of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma in chronic pancreatitis,” Gut, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 765–766, 2002.
- R. H. Hruban, N. V. Adsay, J. Albores-Saavedra et al., “Pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia: a new nomenclature and classification system for pancreatic duct lesions,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 579–586, 2001.
- J. Attri, R. Srinivasan, S. Majumdar, B. D. Radotra, and J. Wig, “Alterations of tumor suppressor gene p16 in pancreatic ductal carcinoma,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 5, article 22, 2005.
- S. Xu, T. Furukawa, N. Kanai, M. Sunamura, and A. Horii, “Abrogation of DUSP6 by hypermethylation in human pancreatic cancer,” Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 159–167, 2005.
- N. Sato, H. Matsubayashi, N. Fukushima, and M. Goggins, “The chemokine receptor CXCR4 is regulated by DNA methylation in pancreatic cancer,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2005.
- S. Nomoto, T. Kinoshita, T. Mori et al., “Adverse prognosis of epigenetic inactivation in RUNX3 gene at 1p36 in human pancreatic cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1690–1695, 2008.
- X. M. Bu, C. H. Zhao, N. Zhang, F. Gao, S. Lin, and X. W. Dai, “Hypermethylation and aberrant expression of secreted fizzled-related protein genes in pancreatic cancer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 21, pp. 3421–3424, 2008.
- N. Omura, C. P. Li, A. Li et al., “Genome-wide profiling of methylated promoters in pancreatic adenocarcinoma,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1146–1156, 2008.
- A. C. Tan, A. Jimeno, S. H. Lin et al., “Characterizing DNA methylation patterns in pancreatic cancer genome,” Molecular Oncology, vol. 3, no. 5-6, pp. 425–438, 2009.
- A. Misawa, J. Inoue, Y. Sugino et al., “Methylation-associated silencing of the nuclear receptor 1I2 gene in advanced-type neuroblastomas, identified by bacterial artificial chromosome array-based methylated CpG island amplification,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 22, pp. 10233–10242, 2005.
- Y. Sugino, A. Misawa, J. Inoue et al., “Epigenetic silencing of prostaglandin E receptor 2 (PTGER2) is associated with progression of neuroblastomas,” Oncogene, vol. 26, no. 53, pp. 7401–7413, 2007.
- K. Tanaka, I. Imoto, J. Inoue et al., “Frequent methylation-associated silencing of a candidate tumor-suppressor, CRABP1, in esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma,” Oncogene, vol. 26, no. 44, pp. 6456–6468, 2007.
- N. Nishiyama, E. Arai, Y. Chihara et al., “Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in urothelial carcinomas and urothelia at the precancerous stage,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 231–240, 2010.
- E. Arai and Y. Kanai, “DNA methylation profiles in precancerous tissue and cancers: carcinogenetic risk estimation and prognostication based on DNA methylation status,” Epigenomics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 467–481, 2010.
- J. Inazawa, J. Inoue, and I. Imoto, “Comparative genomic hybridization (CGH)-arrays pave the way for identification of novel cancer-related genes,” Cancer Science, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 559–563, 2004.
- E. Arai, S. Ushijima, H. Fujimoto et al., “Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in both precancerous conditions and clear cell renal cell carcinomas are correlated with malignant potential and patient outcome,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 214–221, 2009.
- E. Arai, S. Ushijima, M. Gotoh et al., “Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in liver tissue at the precancerous stage and in hepatocellular carcinoma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 125, no. 12, pp. 2854–2862, 2009.
- S. B. Edge, D. R. Byrd, C. C. Compton, A. G. Fritz, F. L. Greene, and A. Trotti, Eds., Exocrine and Endocrine Pancreas, Springer, New York, NY, USA, AJCC Cancer Staging Manual Seventh edition, 2010.
- S. S. Han, J. Y. Jang, S. W. Kim, W. H. Kim, K. U. Lee, and Y. H. Park, “Analysis of long-term survivors after surgical resection for pancreatic cancer,” Pancreas, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 271–275, 2006.
- T. Schnelldorfer, A. L. Ware, M. G. Sarr et al., “Long-term survival after pancreatoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: is cure possible?” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 456–462, 2008.
- A. van den broeck, G. Sergeant, N. Ectors, W. van Steenbergen, R. Aerts, and B. Topal, “Patterns of recurrence after curative resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 600–604, 2009.
- J. Fatima, T. Schnelldorfer, J. Barton et al., “Pancreatoduodenectomy for ductal adenocarcinoma: implications of positive margin on survival,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 2010.
- K. Shimada, Y. Sakamoto, S. Nara, M. Esaki, T. Kosuge, and N. Hiraoka, “Analysis of 5-year survivors after a macroscopic curative pancreatectomy for invasive ductal adenocarcinoma,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1908–1915, 2010.
- A. B. Lowenfels and P. Maisonneuve, “Epidemiology and prevention of pancreatic cancer,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 238–244, 2004.
- M. Loos, J. Kleeff, H. Friess, and M. W. Büchler, “Surgical treatment of pancreatic cancer,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1138, pp. 169–180, 2008.
- S. J. Clark, “Action at a distance: epigenetic silencing of large chromosomal regions in carcinogenesis,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. R88–R95, 2007.
- X. G. Ni, X. F. Bai, Y. L. Mao et al., “The clinical value of serum CEA, CA19-9, and CA242 in the diagnosis and prognosis of pancreatic cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 164–169, 2005.
- H. Ueno, T. Kosuge, Y. Matsuyama et al., “A randomised phase III trial comparing gemcitabine with surgery-only in patients with resected pancreatic cancer: Japanese Study Group of Adjuvant Therapy for Pancreatic Cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 908–915, 2009.
- H. Ueno and T. Kosuge, “Adjuvant treatments for resectable pancreatic cancer,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 468–472, 2008.