- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 795251, 4 pages
Natural Killer Cells in Healthy and Diseased Subjects
1Molecular Medicine, Department of Experimental Medicine, Instituto Giannina Gaslini, Genova 16147, Italy
2Receptor Cell Biology Section, Laboratory of Immunogenetics, NIAID, NIH, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Received 19 June 2011; Accepted 19 June 2011
Copyright © 2011 Roberto Biassoni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. B. Herberman, M. E. Nunn, H. T. Holden, and D. H. Lavrin, “Natural cytotoxic reactivity of mouse lymphoid cells against syngeneic and allogeneic tumors. II. Characterization of effector cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 230–239, 1975.
- R. Kiessling, E. Klein, and H. Wigzell, ““Natural” killer cells in the mouse. I. Cytotoxic cells with specificity for mouse Moloney leukemia cells. Specificity and distribution according to genotype,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 112–117, 1975.
- E. Ciccone, O. Viale, D. Pende et al., “Specific lysis of allogeneic cells after activation of CD3- lymphocytes in mixed lymphocyte culture,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 168, no. 6, pp. 2403–2408, 1988.
- H. G. Ljunggren and K. Karre, “In search of the ‘missing self’: MHC molecules and NK cell recognition,” Immunology Today, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 237–244, 1990.
- L. Moretta, E. Ciccone, A. Moretta, P. Hoglund, C. Ohlén, and K. Karre, “Allorecognition by NK cells: nonself or no self?” Immunology Today, vol. 13, pp. 300–306, 1992.
- W. M. Yokoyama and W. E. Seaman, “The Ly-49 and NKR-P1 gene families encoding lectin-like receptors on natural killer cells: the NK gene complex,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 11, pp. 613–635, 1993.
- N. Wagtmann, R. Biassoni, C. Cantoni et al., “Molecular clones of the p58 NK cell receptor reveal immunoglobulin-related molecules with diversity in both the extra- and intracellular domains,” Immunity, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 439–449, 1995.
- A. D'Andrea, C. Chang, K. Franz-Bacon, T. McClanahan, J. H. Phillips, and L. L. Lanier, “Molecular cloning of NKB1 a natural killer cell receptor for HLA-B allotypes,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 155, no. 5, pp. 2306–2310, 1995.
- M. Colonna and J. Samaridis, “Cloning of immunoglobulin-superfamily members associated with HLA-C and HLA-B recognition by human natural killer cells,” Science, vol. 268, no. 5209, pp. 405–408, 1995.
- A. Moretta, C. Bottino, M. Vitale et al., “Receptors for HLA class-I molecules in human natural killer cells,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 14, pp. 619–648, 1996.
- E. O. Long and N. Wagtmann, “Natural killer cell receptors,” Current Opinion in Immunology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 344–350, 1997.
- P. E. Posch, F. Borrego, A. G. Brooks, and J. E. Coligan, “HLA-E is the ligand for the natural killer cell CD94/NKG2 receptors,” Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 321–331, 1998.
- R. Biassoni, “Human natural killer receptors, co-receptors, and their ligands,” Current Protocols in Immunology, no. 84, pp. 14.10.1–14.10.40, 2009.
- M. Carretero, C. Cantoni, T. Bellon, et al., “The CD94 and NKG2-A C-typelectinscovalently assemble to form a natural killer cellinhibitoryreceptor for HLA class I molecules,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 563–567, 1997.
- F. Borrego, M. Ulbrecht, E. H. Weiss, J. E. Coligan, and A. G. Brooks, “Recognition of human histocompatibility leukocyte antigen (HLA)-E complexed with HLA class I signal sequence-derived peptides by CD94/NKG2 confers protection from natural killer cell-mediated lysis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 187, no. 5, pp. 813–818, 1998.
- R. Biassoni, E. Ugolotti, and A. de Maria, “Comparative analysis of NK-cell receptor expression and function across primate species: perspective on antiviral defenses,” Self Non Self, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 103–113, 2010.
- K. M. Jamil and S. I. Khakoo, “KIR/HLA interactions and pathogen immunity,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 298348, 9 pages, 2011.
- M. G. Joyce and P. D. Sun, “The structural basis of ligand recognition by natural killer cell receptors,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 203628, 15 pages, 2011.
- O. Chijioke and C. Münz, “Interactions of human myeloid cells with natural killer cell subsets in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 251679, 7 pages, 2011.
- V. Rizzello, I. Bonaccorsi, M. L. Dongarr, L. N. Fink, and G. Ferlazzo, “Role of natural killer and dendritic cell crosstalk in immunomodulation by commensal bacteria probiotics,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 473097, 10 pages, 2011.
- R. Meazza, B. Azzarone, A. M. Orengo, and S. Ferrini, “Role of common-gamma chain cytokines in NK cell development and function: perspectives for immunotherapy,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 861920, 16 pages, 2011.
- L. Kühne, M. Konstandin, Y. Samstag, S. Meuer, T. Giese, and C. Watzl, “WF10 stimulates NK cell cytotoxicity by increasing LFA-1-mediated adhesion to tumor cells,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 436587, 6 pages, 2011.
- M. R. Revilleza, R. Wang, J. Mans, M. Hong, K. Natarajan, and D. H. Margulies, “How the virus outsmarts the host: function and structure of cytomegalovirus MHC-I–like molecules in the evasion Of natural killer cell surveillance,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 724607, 12 pages, 2011.
- M. Pyzik, E.-M. Gendron-Pontbriand, and S. M. Vidal, “The impact of Ly49-NK cell-dependent recognition of MCMV infection on innate and adaptive immune responses,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 641702, 9 pages, 2011.
- F. Marras, F. Bozzano, and A. De Maria, “Involvement of activating NK cell receptors and their modulation in pathogen immunity,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, 2011.
- L. Chiche, J. -M. Forel, G. Thomas et al., “The role of natural killer cells in sepsis,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 986491, 8 pages, 2011.
- K. L. Alderson and P. M. Sondel, “Clinical cancer therapy by NK cells via antibody-dependent cell mediated cytotoxicity,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 379123, 7 pages, 2011.
- E. M. Levy, M. P. Roberti, and J. Mordoh, “Natural killer cells in human cancer: from biological functions to clinical applications,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 676198, 11 pages, 2011.
- C. Schmitt, N. Sako, M. Bagot, Y. Huang, P. Gaulard, and A. Bensussan, “Extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma: toward the identification of clinical molecular targets,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 790871, 11 pages, 2011.
- P. K. Yadav, C. Chen, and Z. Liu, “Potential role of NK cells in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 348530, 6 pages, 2011.
- S. Dunphy and C. M. Gardiner, “NK cells and psoriasis,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 248317, 10 pages, 2011.
- S. Kulkarni, R. Savan, Y. Qi et al., “Differential microRNA regulation of HLA-C expression and its association with HIV control,” Nature, vol. 472, no. 7344, pp. 495–498, 2011.
- R. Biassoni, A. Pessino, A. Malaspina et al., “Role of amino acid position 70 in the binding affinity of p50.1 and p58.1 receptors for HLA-Cw4 molecules,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 3095–3099, 1997.