- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 812135, 9 pages
The Application of Three-Dimensional Collagen-Scaffolds Seeded with Myoblasts to Repair Skeletal Muscle Defects
1The Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Stem Cell Research Center, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
2Department of Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
3Department of Orthopedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
4Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Texas, Medical School at Houston, TX 77030, USA
Received 30 June 2011; Accepted 11 September 2011
Academic Editor: Guy Benian
Copyright © 2011 Jianqun Ma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Dragas, L. Davidovic, D. Kostic et al., “Upper extremity arterial injuries: factors influencing treatment outcome,” Injury, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 815–819, 2009.
- C. E. Attinger, I. Ducic, P. Cooper, and C. M. Zelen, “The role of intrinsic muscle flaps of the foot for bone coverage in foot and ankle defects in diabetic and nondiabetic patients,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1047–1054, 2002.
- A. K. Singh, K. P. Gudehithlu, S. Patri et al., “Impaired integration of endothelial progenitor cells in capillaries of diabetic wounds is reversible with vascular endothelial growth factor infusion,” Translational Research, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 282–291, 2007.
- M. M. Al-Qattan, “Severe, traumatic soft-tissue loss in the antecubital fossa and proximal forearm associated with radial and/or median nerve palsy: nerve recovery after coverage with a pedicled latissimus dorsi muscle flap,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 125–129, 2001.
- A. Takeuchi, H. Tsuchiya, T. Shirai, K. Hayashi, H. Nishida, and K. Tomita, “Occlusive dressing for large soft tissue defects following soft tissue tumor excision,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 385–390, 2009.
- E. D. Rodriguez, R. Bluebond-Langner, C. Copeland, T. N. Grim, N. K. Singh, and T. Scalea, “Functional outcomes of posttraumatic lower limb salvage: a pilot study of anterolateral thigh perforator flaps versus muscle flaps,” The Journal of trauma, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 1311–1314, 2009.
- X. Shao, C. Chen, X. Zhang, Y. Yu, D. Ren, and L. Lu, “Coverage of fingertip defect using a dorsal island pedicle flap including both dorsal digital nerves,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1474–1481, 2009.
- P. A. Janmey, J. P. Winer, and J. W. Weisel, “Fibrin gels and their clinical and bioengineering applications,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 6, no. 30, pp. 1–10, 2009.
- S. G. Kumbar, S. P. Nukavarapu, R. James, L. S. Nair, and C. T. Laurencin, “Electrospun poly(lactic acid-co-glycolic acid) scaffolds for skin tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 30, pp. 4100–4107, 2008.
- M. Pei, L. A. Solchaga, J. Seidel et al., “Bioreactors mediate the effectiveness of tissue engineering scaffolds,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1691–1694, 2002.
- S. A. Riboldi, M. Sampaolesi, P. Neuenschwander, G. Cossu, and S. Mantero, “Electrospun degradable polyesterurethane membranes: potential scaffolds for skeletal muscle tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 22, pp. 4606–4615, 2005.
- L. G. Griffith, “Emerging design principles in biomaterials and scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 961, pp. 83–95, 2002.
- L. E. Freed, F. Guilak, X. E. Guo et al., “Advanced tools for tissue engineering: scaffolds, bioreactors, and signaling,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 3285–3305, 2006.
- D. W. Hutmacher, “Scaffold design and fabrication technologies for engineering tissues—state of the art and future perspectives,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 107–124, 2001.
- L. Cen, W. Liu, L. Cui, W. Zhang, and Y. Cao, “Collagen tissue engineering: development of novel biomaterials and applications,” Pediatric Research, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 492–496, 2008.
- J. M. Anderson and J. J. Langone, “Issues and perspectives on the biocompatibility and immunotoxicity evaluation of implanted controlled release systems,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 1999.
- J. E. Babensee, J. M. Anderson, L. V. McIntire, and A. G. Mikos, “Host response to tissue engineered devices,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 33, no. 1-2, pp. 111–139, 1998.
- J. M. Anderson, “Inflammatory response to implants,” ASAIO Transactions, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 101–107, 1988.
- G. Vunjak-Novakovic, B. Obradovic, I. Martin, P. M. Bursac, R. Langer, and L. E. Freed, “Dynamic cell seeding of polymer scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 193–202, 1998.
- M. Radisic, M. Euloth, L. Yang, R. Langer, L. E. Freed, and G. Vunjak-Novakovic, “High-density seeding of myocyte cells for cardiac tissue engineering,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 403–414, 2003.
- Y. Wang, H. L. Jiao, J. Z. Zhang, and R. Q. He, “Three-dimensional culture of hybridoma cells secreting anti-human chorionic gonadotropin by a new rolling culture system,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2004, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2004.
- N. A. Bleckwenn and J. Shiloach, “Large-scale cell culture,” Current Protocols in Immunology, Appendix 1, Appendix 1U, 2004.
- D. H. Park, C. V. Borlongan, D. J. Eve, and P. R. Sanberg, “The emerging field of cell and tissue engineering,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. RA206–RA220, 2008.
- D. W. Hutmacher, M. Sittinger, and M. V. Risbud, “Scaffold-based tissue engineering: rationale for computer-aided design and solid free-form fabrication systems,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 354–362, 2004.
- C. -K. Perng, Y. -J. Wang, C. -H. Tsi, and H. Ma, “In vivo angiogenesis effect of porous collagen scaffold with hyaluronic acid oligosaccharides,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2011.
- C. K. Chiang, M. F. Chowdhury, R. K. Iyer, W. L. Stanford, and M. Radisic, “Engineering surfaces for site-specific vascular differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1904–1916, 2010.
- M. K. Smith, M. C. Peters, T. P. Richardson, J. C. Garbern, and D. J. Mooney, “Locally enhanced angiogenesis promotes transplanted cell survival,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1-2, pp. 63–71, 2004.
- D. J. Tilkorn, A. Bedogni, E. Keramidaris et al., “Implanted myoblast survival is dependent on the degree of vascularization in a novel delayed implantation/prevascularization tissue engineering model,” Tissue Engineering—Part A, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 165–178, 2010.
- R. Perrot, R. Berges, A. Bocquet, and J. Eyer, “Review of the multiple aspects of neurofilament functions, and their possible contribution to neurodegeneration,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 27–65, 2008.
- T. A. Partridge, J. E. Morgan, G. R. Coulton, E. P. Hoffman, and L. M. Kunkel, “Conversion of mdx myofibres from dystrophin-negative to -positive by injection of normal myoblasts,” Nature, vol. 337, no. 6203, pp. 176–179, 1989.
- G. Q. Wallace, K. A. Lapidos, J. S. Kenik, and E. M. McNally, “Long-term survival of transplanted stem cells in immunocompetent mice with muscular dystrophy,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 792–802, 2008.
- Z. Liu, Y. Wu, and B. G. Chen, “Myoblast therapy: from bench to bedside,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 455–462, 2006.
- Y. Matsuoka and A. Inoue, “Controlled differentiation of myoblast cells into fast and slow muscle fibers,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 332, no. 1, pp. 123–132, 2008.
- Y. Li and J. Huard, “Differentiation of muscle-derived cells into myofibroblasts in injured skeletal muscle,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 895–907, 2002.
- Y. Li, W. Foster, B. M. Deasy et al., “Transforming growth factor-β1 induces the differentiation of myogenic cells into fibrotic cells in injured skeletal muscle: a key event in muscle fibrogenesis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 164, no. 3, pp. 1007–1019, 2004.
- W. Wang, H. Pan, K. Murray, B. S. Jefferson, and Y. Li, “Matrix metalloproteinase-1 promotes muscle cell migration and differentiation,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 541–549, 2009.