- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 852419, 9 pages
Epithelial Cell Coculture Models for Studying Infectious Diseases: Benefits and Limitations
1School of Medical Sciences and Griffith Health Institute, Centre for Medicine and Oral Health, Griffith University, Southport, QLD 4222, Australia
2School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, the University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
Received 4 May 2011; Revised 19 July 2011; Accepted 27 July 2011
Academic Editor: Anthony L. DeVico
Copyright © 2011 Benjamin L. Duell et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [17 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Chee K. Tan, Alison J. Carey, Xiangqin Cui, Richard I. Webb, Deepak Ipe, Michael Crowley, Allan W. Cripps, William H. Benjamin, Kimberly B. Ulett, Mark A. Schembri, and Glen C. Ulett, “Genome-Wide Mapping of Cystitis Due to Streptococcus agalactiae and Escherichia coli in Mice Identifies a Unique Bladder Transcriptome That Signifies Pathogen-Specific Antimicrobial Defense against Urinary Tract Infection,” Infection And Immunity, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 3145–3160, 2012.
- Benjamin L. Duell, Chee K. Tan, Alison J. Carey, Fan Wu, Allan W. Cripps, and Glen C. Ulett, “Recent insights into microbial triggers of interleukin-10 production in the host and the impact on infectious disease pathogenesis,” FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 295–313, 2012.
- Benjamin L. Duell, Alison J. Carey, Chee K. Tan, Xiangqin Cui, Richard I. Webb, Makrina Totsika, Mark A. Schembri, Petra Derrington, Helen Irving-Rodgers, Andrew J. Brooks, Allan W. Cripps, Michael Crowley, and Glen C. Ulett, “Innate Transcriptional Networks Activated in Bladder in Response to Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Drive Diverse Biological Pathways and Rapid Synthesis of IL-10 for Defense against Bacterial Urinary Tract Infection,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 188, no. 2, pp. 781–792, 2012.
- Elisabete C. Costa, Vitor M. Gaspar, Joao G. Marques, and Paula Coutinho, “Evaluation of Nanoparticle Uptake in Co-culture Cancer Models,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Fu Jiang Chu, Xiao Bao Jin, Yin Ye Xu, Yan Ma, Xiao Bo Li, Xue Mei Lu, Wen Bin Liu, and Jia Yong Zhu, “Effect of lipopolysaccharide mediating early-and late-activated THP-1 macrophages on ECV304 endothelial cell dysfunction: Dysregulation of secretion of VEGF and proliferation and migration of ECV304,” Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 31, no. 2-3, pp. 400–407, 2013.
- Bridget S. Fisher, Carlos E. Estrano, and Judith A. Cole, “Modeling Long-Term Host Cell-Giardia lamblia Interactions in an In Vitro Co-Culture System,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 12, 2013.
- Benjamin L. Duell, Alison J. Carey, Samantha J. Dando, Mark A. Schembri, and Glen C. Ulett, “Human Bladder Uroepithelial Cells Synergize with Monocytes to Promote IL-10 Synthesis and Other Cytokine Responses to Uropathogenic Escherichia coli,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Nikhil Rao, Gregory N. Grover, Ludovic G. Vincent, Samantha C. Evans, Yu Suk Choi, Katrina H. Spencer, Elliot E. Hui, Adam J. Engler, and Karen L. Christman, “A co-culture device with a tunable stiffness to understand combinatorial cell–cell and cell–matrix interactions,” Integrative Biology, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 1344, 2013.
- Amy L. Howes, Robyn D. Richardson, Darren Finlay, and Kristiina Vuori, “3-Dimensional Culture Systems for Anti-Cancer Compound Profiling and High-Throughput Screening Reveal Increases in EGFR Inhibitor-Mediated Cytotoxicity Compared to Monolayer Culture Systems,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 9, 2014.
- Aurélie Crabbé, Maria A. Ledesma, and Cheryl A. Nickerson, “ Mimicking the host and its microenvironment in vitro for studying mucosal infections by Pseudomonas aeruginosa ,” Pathogens and Disease, 2014.
- Martina Abrigo, Sally L. McArthur, and Peter Kingshott, “Electrospun Nanofibers as Dressings for Chronic Wound Care: Advances, Challenges, and Future Prospects,” Macromolecular Bioscience, 2014.
- Anita R. Iskandar, Yang Xiang, Stefan Frentzel, Marja Talikka, Patrice Leroy, Diana Kuehn, Emmanuel Guedj, Florian Martin, Carole Mathis, Nikolai V. Ivanov, Manuel C. Peitsch, and Julia Hoeng, “Impact Assessment of Cigarette Smoke Exposure on Organotypic Bronchial Epithelial Tissue Cultures: A Comparison of Mono-Culture and Coculture Model Containing Fibroblasts,” Toxicological Sciences, pp. kfv122, 2015.
- Jonathan David, Rachel E. Bell, and Graeme C. Clark, “Mechanisms of Disease: Host-Pathogen Interactions between Burkholderia Species and Lung Epithelial Cells,” Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, vol. 5, 2015.
- Kambez H. Benam, Stephanie Dauth, Bryan Hassell, Anna Herland, Abhishek Jain, Kyung-Jin Jang, Katia Karalis, Hyun Jung Kim, Luke MacQueen, Roza Mahmoodian, Samira Musah, Yu-suke Torisawa, Andries D. van der Meer, Remi Villenave, Moran Yadid, Kevin K. Parker, and Donald E. Ingber, “Engineered In Vitro Disease Models,” Annual Review of Pathology: Mechanisms of Disease, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 195–262, 2015.
- Sophie Y. Leclercq, Matthew J. Sullivan, Deepak S. Ipe, Joshua P. Smith, Allan W. Cripps, and Glen C. Ulett, “Pathogenesis of Streptococcus urinary tract infection depends on bacterial strain and β-hemolysin/cytolysin that mediates cytotoxicity, cytokine synthesis, inflammation and virulence,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 29000, 2016.
- Joana F. S. Pereira, Nikhil T. Awatade, Cláudia A. Loureiro, Paulo Matos, Margarida D. Amaral, and Peter Jordan, “The third dimension: new developments in cell culture models for colorectal research,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 2016.
- Pasquale Marrazzo, Silvia Maccari, Annarita Taddei, Luke Bevan, John Telford, Marco Soriani, and Alfredo Pezzicoli, “3D Reconstruction of the Human Airway Mucosa In Vitro as an Experimental Model to Study NTHi Infections,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 4, 2016.