- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 857987, 7 pages
Testing a Low Molecular Mass Fraction of a Mushroom (Lentinus edodes) Extract Formulated as an Oral Rinse in a Cohort of Volunteers
1Sezione di Microbiologia, Dipartimento di Patologia e Diagnostica, Università di Verona, Strada Le Grazie 8, 37134 Verona, Italy
2Sezione di Chirurgia Maxillo Facciale e di Odontostomatologia, Dipartimento di Chirurgia, Università di Verona, Piazzale A. Scuro 10, 37134 Verona, Italy
3Division of Microbial Diseases, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, 256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
4Department of Cariology, Institute of Odontology at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Box 450, 405 30 Göteborg, Sweden
5DIPTERIS, Università di Genova, Corso Europa 26, 16132 Genova, Italy
6Dipartmento di Chimica Farmaceutica, Università di Pavia, Via Taramelli 12, 27100 Pavia, Italy
7Department of Preventive Dentistry, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam (ACTA), Gustav Mahlerlaan 3004, 1081 LA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 15 June 2011; Accepted 11 July 2011
Academic Editor: Carla Pruzzo
Copyright © 2011 Caterina Signoretto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. D. Marsh, “Dental plaque: biological significance of a biofilm and community life-style,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 32, supplement 6, pp. 7–15, 2005.
- N. H. Newman and M. Wilson, Dental Plaque Revisited: Oral Biofilms in Health and Diseases, Bioline, Cardiff, UK, 1999.
- P. D. Marsh and M. V. Martin, Oral Microbiology, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 5th edition, 2009.
- R. J. Lamont, R. A. Burne, M. S. Lantz, and D. J. Leblanc, Oral Microbiology and Immunology, American Society for Microbiology Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- C. Signoretto, P. Canepari, C. Pruzzo, and G. Gazzani, “Anticaries and antiadhesive properties of food constituents and plant extracts and implications for oral health,” in Food Constituents and Oral Health: Current Status and Future Prospects, M. Wilson, Ed., Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK, 2009.
- M. Elvin-Lewis and R. Steelman, “The anticariogenic effects of tea drinking among Dallas school children,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 65, no. 3, p. 198, 1986.
- C. Jones, K. Woods, G. Whittle, H. Worthington, and G. Taylor, “Sugar, drinks, deprivation and dental caries in 14-year-old children in the north west of England in 1995,” Community Dental Health, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 68–71, 1999.
- C. Signoretto, G. Burlacchini, F. Bianchi, G. Cavalleri, and P. Canepari, “Differences in microbiological composition of saliva and dental plaque in subjects with different drinking habits,” New Microbiologica, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 293–302, 2006.
- C. Signoretto, F. Bianchi, G. Burlacchini, F. Sivieri, D. Spratt, and P. Canepari, “Drinking habits are associated with changes in the dental plaque microbial community,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 347–356, 2010.
- M. Onisi, N. Shimura, C. Nakamura, and M. Sato, “A field test on the caries preventive effect of tea drinking,” Journal of Dental Health, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 1981.
- T. Ooshima, T. Minami, W. Aono, Y. Tamura, and S. Hamada, “Reduction of dental plaque deposition in humans by oolong tea extract,” Caries Research, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 146–149, 1994.
- E. I. Weiss, A. Kozlovsky, D. Steinberg et al., “A high molecular mass cranberry constituent reduces mutans streptococci level in saliva and inhibits in vitro adhesion to hydroxyapatite,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 232, no. 1, pp. 89–92, 2004.
- D. A. Spratt, et al., “Evaluation of the beneficial oral health properties of plant and fungal extracts,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. In press.
- C. Signoretto, A. Marchi, A. Bertoncelli, et al., “Effects of mushroom and chicory extracts on the physiology and shape of Prevotella intermedia, a periodontopathogenic bacterium,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. In press.
- M. Daglia, A. Papetti, D. Mascherpa, et al., “Vegetable food components with potential activity on the development of microbial oral diseases,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. In press.
- S. Turesky, N. D. Gilmore, and I. Glickman, “Reduced plaque formation by the chloromethyl analogue of victamine C,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 41–43, 1970.
- H. Loe and J. Silness, “Periodontal disease in pregnancy. I. Prevalence and severity,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 533–551, 1963.
- R. I. Griffiths, A. S. Whiteley, A. G. O'Donnell, and M. J. Bailey, “Rapid method for coextraction of DNA and RNA from natural environments for analysis of ribosomal DNA- and rRNA-based microbial community composition,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 5488–5491, 2000.
- L. Ciric, J. Pratten, M. Wilson, and D. Spratt, “Development of a novel multi-triplex qPCR method for the assessment of bacterial community structure in oral populations,” Environmental Microbiology Reports, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 770–774, 2010.
- L. Canesi, C. Borghi, M. Stauder, et al., “Effects of fruit and vegetable low molecular mass fractions on gene expression in gingival cells challenged with Prevotella intermedia and Actinomyces naeslundii,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. In press.
- S. J. Bhadbhade, A. B. Acharya, S. V. Rodrigues, and S. L. Thakur, “The antiplaque efficacy of pomegranate mouthrinse,” Quintessence International, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2011.
- D. H. Fine, “Chemical agents to prevent and regulate plaque development,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 87–107, 1995.
- B. M. Eley, “Antibacterial agents in the control of supragingival plaque—a review,” British Dental Journal, vol. 186, no. 6, pp. 286–296, 1999.
- L. Ciric, A. Tymon, E. Zaura, et al., “In vitro assesment of shiitake mushroom (Lentinula edodes) for its anti-gingivitis activity,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. In press.