- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 937479, 4 pages
Effects of Theophylline on Anesthetized Malignant Hyperthermia-Susceptible Pigs
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital Itzehoe, Robert-Koch-Straβe 2, 25524 Itzehoe, Germany
Received 12 May 2011; Accepted 23 August 2011
Academic Editor: Lars Larsson
Copyright © 2011 Marko Fiege et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Wappler, “Anesthesia for patients with a history of malignant hyperthermia,” Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 417–422, 2010.
- J. Scholz, U. Troll, J. Schulte Am Esch et al., “Inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate and malignant hyperthermia,” The Lancet, vol. 337, no. 8753, article 1361, 1991.
- F. Wappler, M. Fiege, and J. Schulte am Esch, “Pathophysiological role of the serotonin system in malignant hyperthermia,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 794–798, 2001.
- J. H. Willner, C. C. Cerri, and D. S. Wood, “High skeletal muscle adenylate cyclase in malignant hyperthermia,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1119–1124, 1981.
- F. R. Ellis, P. J. Halsall, P. Allam, and E. Hay, “A biochemical abnormality found in muscle from unstressed malignant-hyperpyrexia-susceptible humans,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 357–358, 1984.
- A. Stanec and G. Stefano, “Cyclic AMP in normal and malignant hyperpyrexia susceptible individuals following exercise,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1243–1246, 1984.
- J. Scholz, M. Steinfath, N. Roewer et al., “Biochemical changes in malignant hyperthermia susceptible swine cyclic AMP, inositol phosphates, α1, β1- and β2-adrenoceptors in skeletal and cardiac muscle,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 575–583, 1993.
- H. Scholz, “Inhibition of phosphodiesterases,” Zeitschrift fur Kardiologie, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 1–5, 1994.
- J. Sawynok and T. L. Yaksh, “Caffeine as an analgesic adjuvant: a review of pharmacology and mechanisms of action,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 43–85, 1993.
- H. Ørding, V. Brancadoro, S. Cozzolino et al., “In vitro contracture test for diagnosis of malignant hyperthermia following the protocol of the European MH group: results of testing patients surviving fulminant MH and unrelated low-risk subjects,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 955–966, 1997.
- M. U. Gerbershagen, M. Fiege, R. Weißhorn, K. Kolodzie, and F. Wappler, “Theophylline induces contractures in porcine skeletal muscle preparations with the disposition to malignant hyperthermia,” Anasthesiologie Intensivmedizin Notfallmedizin Schmerztherapie, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 147–152, 2004.
- J. Fujii, K. Otsu, F. Zorzato et al., “Identification of a mutation in porcine ryanodine receptor associated with malignant hyperthermia,” Science, vol. 253, no. 5018, pp. 448–451, 1991.
- M. G. Larach, J. R. Landis, J. S. Bunn, and M. Diaz, “Prediction of malignant hyperthermia susceptibility in low-risk subjects: an epidemiologic investigation of caffeine halothane contracture responses,” Anesthesiology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 16–27, 1992.
- M. J. A. Parr and S. M. Willatts, “Fatal theophylline poisoning with rhabdomyolysis. A potential role for dantrolene treatment,” Anaesthesia, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 557–559, 1991.
- E. H. Flewellen and T. E. Nelson, “Is theophylline, aminophylline, or caffeine (methylxanthines) contraindicated in malignant hyperthermia susceptible patients?” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 115–118, 1983.
- G. S. LeFever and H. Rosenberg, “Aminophylline, halothane, and malignant hyperpyrexia in the rabbit,” Fed Proc, vol. 39, article 295, 1980.
- J. W. Chapin, G. L. Chang, and D. W. Wingard, “Coffee (caffeine) and porcine malignant hyperthermia,” Anesthesiology, vol. 55, no. 3, article A292, 1981.
- R. Grinberg, G. Edelist, and A. Gordon, “Postoperative malignant hyperthermia episodes in patients who received 'safe' anaesthetics,” Canadian Anaesthetists Society Journal, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 273–276, 1983.